Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto Back; Lutz Optioned

Votto Back; Lutz Optioned

Votto is back with the club tonight and batting 3rd. Lutz optioned back to AAA. Price didn't exactly give Votto a clean bill of health: "He's better now as opposed to when he went on DL. Won't be 100% until next year. Might need periodic days off for soreness."

He may be in some serious pain, but never in my life have I heard of someone so hampered playing baseball by a "sore" muscle. Whatever happened to old school heat and ice therapy? Is it possible that there is more to this injury than just a sore muscle? Given the Reds medical history and handling of injuries, it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, it's good to have Joey back.
    Last edited by jordan_tm; 06-10-2014 at 04:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    KD1476

Re: Votto Back; Lutz Optioned

I agree with you about being more then just a sore muscle? Another thing that I don't understand is why Lutz has to go down if Joey is going to get days off from time to time for the nagging injury. Lutz can play 1b and OF. I rather see Lutz get the Playing time then Bernadina in the OF or Frazier/Pena at 1b.

I honestly had forgotten about Bernadina even being on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan_tm View Post
    I honestly had forgotten about Bernadina even being on the team.
    I keep trying to forget.

6. Likes:

jordan_tm (06-11-2014)

Glad Votto's back. WRT Lutz, it looks like the Reds prefer to use Pena when Votto needs a rest. Then in the OF, Bernadina seems to be playing a little better plus you can use him as pinch runner and defensive replacement. Finally factor in the presumption that Lutz needs ABs and I think it makes sense to send him down to AAA.

I wish I could get exited about Votto coming back. But he was not making a difference when he was playing before.

I think he, and Bruce, have been exposed. They are both being pitched inside and are not able to handle the pitch.

9. Likes:

Pacman Fever (06-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    I wish I could get exited about Votto coming back. But he was not making a difference when he was playing before.

I think he, and Bruce, have been exposed. They are both being pitched inside and are not able to handle the pitch.
    agreed. I've always said Votto is not a superstar player you build your team around, but someone who goes to a championship team and becomes their missing piece/second best player

The team averaged around 3.13 runs per game while Votto was out. It was around 3.77 with him in the lineup. Thats a difference of a little over 100 runs for a season. The difference in 2nd in the NL in runs last year and 14th was 104 runs. So you know, not much of a difference.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-12-2014)

This is the year

There were other injuries aside from just votto during vottos time off.

And there were other injuries when Votto was healthy. In fact there were more injuries pre Votto injury than during his injury.
    Last edited by SlimJim11; 06-11-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    agreed. I've always said Votto is not a superstar player you build your team around, but someone who goes to a championship team and becomes their missing piece/second best player
    I think that depends upon your list/criteria of superstar players you build your team around. Care to share your list? However, you define/classify it, Votto was clearly that type of player in 2010 (2012 as well although he missed a lot of games). Whether he still is, especially in terms of power, remains to be seen. I think he's got some big seasons still in him.

The key with Votto is to let him cuss....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The key with Votto is to let him cuss....
    I'm hearing that FS Ohio will start having the TV-MA stamp on all the telecasts now.

18. Likes:

RedlegJake (06-24-2014)

Turn Off Ads?