Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel commits suicide

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Wow, this is sad.

I always thought the below was a joke, but now I wonder if he really did have some kind of mental problem and actually heard voices:

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talks to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[3] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[4] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'"[

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Wow just seems the best I can do too.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

So Sad, always liked Freel!

Very upset to see this, Freel was a favorite for how he played the game. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't he have several concussions throughout his career? Regardless, I hope the guy didn't have any kids so they won't have to deal with this horrible tragedy at this time of the year.

Wow, talk about unexpected. Always really enjoyed watching him, and will never forget that catch he made against the Cardinals.

Concussions have been blamed for suicides in other athletes. Wonder if that had an effect on him. Very sad.

I was at the game where Freel collided with Norris Hopper in the OF....it was Freel's fault and I think Hopper left the game on a stretcher and Freel sat out a few due to concussion.

Really sad

He simply willed his way to the big leagues. 10% talent, 90% guts, heart and hustle. He was my favorite player to watch when he was on the team. I also thought of Farney and his history of head injuries as soon as I read the news. This news sucks to hear, especially during this time of year.

RIP

I don't know what to say. This is so sad.

If Stubbs played with half the effort Freel did, he'd be an All-Star

Man, this is the first time in my life, that a death of an athlete really got to me. As you can see from my user name. He was on of my favorite players to wear a Red's jersey. RIP
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Freel was sure a joy to watch. Tough, gritty, and could move mountains with sheer determination. Easy to see why Cincinnati would love a guy like this; almost a reincarnate in many respects, of the town's favorite son, Pete Rose.

I was in attendance May '07 and saw the Hopper collision. A very long and scary 15 minutes of waiting, hoping he was okay. As some have pointed out, Ryan's history of concussions seem to mirror that of several NFL players that have taken their own lives. Regardless of that stuff, my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and ex-teammates.

Thank you for some great memories you gave us Reds fans.

RIP Ryan

Turn Off Ads?