Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Re: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    If *fill in the blank* played with half the effort Freel did, he'd be an All-Star
    Fixed that for you. btw, it's also a moot point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ryan was everything you wanted in a player and then some.

Rest in peace Ryan, you will be truly missed by many

I still remember that one LA game where he was able to steal 2nd, 3rd, and get to home on a pass ball. So much energy and vigor. So much passion as well. Didn't have natural born talent, but did the best with the tools god blessed with him..alot like Ryan Hannigan in some regards.

I honestly, didn't expect this to hit me as much as it has. RIP ryan, hopefully your mind and heart is in a better place

R.I.P. Ryan, nobody played the game harder than you, a bright spot on some bad Reds clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Concussions have been blamed for suicides in other athletes. Wonder if that had an effect on him. Very sad.
    Just got up and read a text about it. And thought that too? Very Sad anyways for his family.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    "it took me back in time thru dwindling joy
    to when i was such a guilt ridden catholic boy
    im evangelical agnostic now"
    Happy New Year Todd Snider

Yours A ChampCar Fanatic And In The Home Of Champange Velvet Beer,

Andy K.

Terre Haute Brewing CO.

Really hated to see him go out like that. For me, he was always that not well known player who just gave 110% on the field and it showed. Played just about every position and had some wheels. Will be missed. He left a daughter behind too.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

hustle

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Freel was always a favorite of mine on that team. He played the game like it should have been played on a team that didn't always play it that way. He was always personable with the fans and was always there to sign autographs. It was very sad hearing about this this morning. I feel bad for his family...God rest his soul.

Ryan was a joy to watch. Considering the money these professional athletes make, all of them should play the way Ryan Freel did. Godspeed to his family and many friends.

I always hoped he would be at a Reds Fest. I will never forget when the Reds were down like 10 runs in the 9th inning with two outs. He hit a routine tapper to the mound and ran like he hit the ball to the short stop with the tying run on 3rd. Loved that guy and will never forget the catch against the Cardinals in 2006. I grew up with the Big Red Machine etc. but this player will be remembered by me always. RIP
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    If Stubbs played with half the effort Freel did, he'd be an All-Star
    Stubbs may be guilty of an inability to change, but i never questioned his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Wow, this is sad.

I always thought the below was a joke, but now I wonder if he really did have some kind of mental problem and actually heard voices:

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talks to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[3] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[4] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'"[
    He later came out and said he made that story up to toy with a reporter he didn't like.

Rest well, Ryan.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Sorry to hear. Always one of my favorite players when he was on the team. Never a problem with hustle.

Exciting to watch and a favorite of mine................RIP

Turn Off Ads?