Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Re: Ryan Freel commits suicide

My heart (and prayers) go out to the Freel family. Especially since this happens during the Holiday season, and just a few days before Christmas. Like most, I always ask the question "Why?". He must have been a very troubled man. Sad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It's very possible, and like you, I mean that in all seriousness.
    You might be right in connecting the two, but I really hope this topic doesn't pick up steam in the media. I feel like it's a little disrespectful to him and his family to speculate about his sanity based on one humorous comment made to the media five years ago.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Loved watching Freel play! Terrible news and a great loss.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

That's a heck of a shock. Very sorry to hear that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

That is so terrible. Wow.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Saw the news scroll across the bottom of the screen on channel 5 this morning. Sad news. Feel bad for the family... Wow.. RIP...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

RIP Ryan. Really sad news

Just happened to see this just now on ESPN's website. The article said he backed out of that coaching job. Very sad news. He was just one of those guys who fans loved because he gave his all out there.

I forgot about his history with concussions. That might have been the problem there. RIP, Ryan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    His suicide is tragic mostly because of how this sort of thing impacts his wife, daughter and other family who are left with so many questions and the undeniable pain that a suicide inflicts on each day after it is done.
    This.

So sad to hear this. I'll always get goose bumps when I think of "The Catch".
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Freel often talked about his imaginary friend "Farney". I always took it as a joke, but now I wonder if it wasn't something deeper.

RIP Ryan Freel.
    Same thing occurred to me. Terrible news. Freel always seemed like a true Red, whatever that means. RIP.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

High five!
    Terrible news!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    His suicide is tragic mostly because of how this sort of thing impacts his wife, daughter and other family who are left with so many questions and the undeniable pain that a suicide inflicts on each day after it is done.

My thoughts as well. It's always very difficult to fathom how a person gets to this point in the arc of their life.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This still has me really upset.

My girlfriend really didn't start watching Reds games with me until 2009 so she didn't remember him, so I told story after story about watching him put his body on the line making catches, diving into stands - how his uniform always seemed to be dirty by about 7 pitches into a game.

He was a guy who made the absolute most out of every ounce of talent he had.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?