Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Worth The Wait

Re: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Stops you in your tracks.....awful news. I enjoyed watching him play...he was certainly well liked as it was, but had he ever played for a contending team, he would have been a total cult hero. Anyway, very sorry to hear this news.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Horrible news. Prayers to his family. One of my favorite players of all time.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I just can't seem to wrap my mind around this for some reason. It has saddened me deeply, and it's all I can think about tonight.
    The "some reason" is that because as fans we connect with the players on a certain level. Baseball is an especially easy sport to form these connections, albeit from afar. You watched him for six years and he was a particularly likable player...easy to identify with and easy to root for. Then, when you find out someone like that passes away, it's a weird feeling. In a way, you didn't know him at all, but in another way, you kind of did...and it's an odd feeling not knowing exactly how you're supposed to react. I was a huge John Candy fan as a kid...loved his movies...and still do. For whatever reason, it still bugs me to realize he is dead....maybe because I associate him with happy memories from when I was kid and it's weird to think that he's been dead for 15 years....it's like in my mind, he's still out there somewhere existing in his characters from his movies.

Similar with athletes...if you are a hardcore fan then your emotions are tied to the game...very good chance at some point Ryan Freel made you cheer or yell or jump off your couch or applaud. And you appreciate that. To realize that this still very young man is dead and that he obviously had severe issues is very sad and it is difficult to know how to react.

Very sad news. No one played harder, and even though I was not an admirer of his play while with the Reds, no one can doubt his desire. I've never understood suicide. My prayers to the family left behind. Just unbelievable.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

At a party, trying not to cry. Complete bummer. So much fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    The "some reason" is that because as fans we connect with the players on a certain level. Baseball is an especially easy sport to form these connections, albeit from afar. You watched him for six years and he was a particularly likable player...easy to identify with and easy to root for. Then, when you find out someone like that passes away, it's a weird feeling. In a way, you didn't know him at all, but in another way, you kind of did...and it's an odd feeling not knowing exactly how you're supposed to react. I was a huge John Candy fan as a kid...loved his movies...and still do. For whatever reason, it still bugs me to realize he is dead....maybe because I associate him with happy memories from when I was kid and it's weird to think that he's been dead for 15 years....it's like in my mind, he's still out there somewhere existing in his characters from his movies.

Similar with athletes...if you are a hardcore fan then your emotions are tied to the game...very good chance at some point Ryan Freel made you cheer or yell or jump off your couch or applaud. And you appreciate that. To realize that this still very young man is dead and that he obviously had severe issues is very sad and it is difficult to know how to react.
    Thanks, Ed. You put some perspective on my feelings. It makes me sick to my stomach.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Man, this is terrible news. RIP

Horrible news. Prayers to his family.

Tough week as a Reds fan. We lost 2 great former players...first Pastore and now Freel.

Wow. Simply, awful.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You have to wonder if concussions played into this. Just awful. RIP.
    Freel also told reporters that he's had a history of concussions, and estimated there have been "six or seven" that he knows of, and a few others that he doesn't remember.
    "It's probably nine or 10 I've had," he said. "But nothing like this. I'd bounce back in a few days, miss four or five days, but never had the lingering effects like this. I had some dizziness and some headaches, but not like I'm having now. This is totally different."
    Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2898862

WOW! If you all could see my face right now it would have a shocked look like im sure all of yours are.I am speachless I don't know what to say.. Its exspecially hard b/c its the holidays.Can you imagine what his poor family is going threw now.Prayers go out to his family.I don't know whatelse to say WOW!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Just horrible to hear this.
    Go Gators!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

RIP, Ryan. I loved the way you played the game.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

We can identify with Ryan because he was an underdog...community college guy. The reason he made it to the show because he worked his butt off and played the game the way it's suppose to be played. He looked like an average joe out there playing major league baseball.

You will always be rembered by Reds fans...you are a Red forever.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Just awful. With all the talk lately of mental instability in the news it puts this kind of thing in perspective. Prayers go out to his family. So sorry to hear this.

RIP Ryan. You were a fan favorite for a while and your passing saddens the Reds family.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?