Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel commits suicide

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Sad news. It's good that he likely wasn't despondent over being out of the game, since he had the coaching gig. I hope his family finds some peace over the loss.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just read this on Yahoo and the first thing I thought about were all the concussions he had, wondering if it could be similar for him to what so many NFL players have suffered with.

I never saw a player put his body in the game as much as Freel did.

His suicide is tragic mostly because of how this sort of thing impacts his wife, daughter and other family who are left with so many questions and the undeniable pain that a suicide inflicts on each day after it is done.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Tragic news. Always enjoyed watching him play. He was one of those versatile players you hoped might somehow make his way back to the Reds bench someday. I had lost track of him and wondered what he was doing just this week. Very sad to hear at what should be a joyous time. Hope he finds peace and his family find comfort.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He was on record saying he'd probably suffered 9 or 10 concussions in his life.

Makes you wonder.

Just horrible news. RIP #6

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_20192625&v=3

Ryan Freel was a bright spot on some bad Reds ballclubs. Even when the Reds weren't winning, players like Freel made the Reds worth watching every night. RIP Ryan.

Freel often talked about his imaginary friend "Farney". I always took it as a joke, but now I wonder if it wasn't something deeper.

RIP Ryan Freel.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Can we set up some sort of RedsZone donation program to benefit his family?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Ryan Freel was a bright spot on some bad Reds ballclubs. Even when the Reds weren't winning, players like Freel made the Reds worth watching every night. RIP Ryan.
    I'll always remember Krivsky having to answer to a crowd of angry fans at RedsFest after Freel was traded. In the age of clubhouse recliners, Freel basically personified everything Cincinnati wanted to see in a ballplayer. Hard news to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Freel often talked about his imaginary friend "Farney". I always took it as a joke, but now I wonder if it wasn't something deeper.

RIP Ryan Freel.
    I didn't want to bring it up on here, but I was wondering the same thing earlier tonight.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    RIP Ryan....I'll always remember your amazing catch off of Pujols bat in GABP. It was the greatest defensive play I've ever seen live. The fans gave you a minute long standing ovation. Thanks for the memories....and I hope your soul finds some comfort somewhere.
    It's still the greatest single baseball play I've ever seen in my life. He brought great happiness to us as Reds fans and it is especially sad to see him pass. RIP, Freel...

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I didn't want to bring it up on here, but I was wondering the same thing earlier tonight.
    Fay tweeted earlier that he wanted to distance himself from the Farney thing because he didn't want people to think he was a kook.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

RIP Ryan Freel.
    In all seriousness, it makes me wonder if Farney had some sort of role in this.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    In all seriousness, it makes me wonder if Farney had some sort of role in this.
    It's very possible, and like you, I mean that in all seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Fay tweeted earlier that he wanted to distance himself from the Farney thing because he didn't want people to think he was a kook.
    We all played around with the "joke" too...

Maybe it wasn't one. We'll never know.

Tom Hume ‏@THume47
    I'm so shocked & sad about Ryan Freel! My good friend. I'm so sorry for his little girls. Please pray for his family. First Frank, now Ryan!

Sean Casey ‏@TheMayorsOffice
    RIP Ryan Freel!! Great teammate, great guy,n loved his family! Such a sad day today with his passing!Awful news!Prayers are with his family!

JayABruce Just heard the news. Condolences to the Freel Family. Unreal.

Brandon Phillips ‏@DatDudeBP
    #RIP🙏 to my friend & great teammate #RyanFreel! Really hurt by his passing! You'll never will be forgotten...

Jeremy Affeldt ‏@JeremyAffeldt
    Saddened to hear of the death of my ex teammate Ryan Freel. Rest in peace my friend

Josh Hamilton ‏@thejoshhamilton
    So saddened to hear the tragic news of Ryan Freel's passing. Praying his family feels God's comfort &peace during this very difficult time.

Justin Germano ‏@JustGerm
    Sad to hear the news of Ryan Freel. He was a great teammate and played the game harder than anyone. Thoughts are with his family. RIP bud!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?