Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Freel commits suicide

Re: Ryan Freel commits suicide

This is absolutely heartbreaking. My thoughts go out to the Freel family.

Ryan was truly a bright spot during his tenure with the Reds and I'll never forget his hustling style of play that was so exciting to watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great leadoff guy in 2005 and 2006. The team offense really was on when he was in form and getting on base. Very intense guy...had a run in with D'Angelo Jimenez over his lack of enthusiasm one time. I am very sorry he could not reach out to anyone and felt alone...as I think we all do from time to time in this world.

A number of studies have linked concussions with an increased risk for suicide, so those of you that are wondering are not off-base at all.

I loved the Ryan Freel dirty t-shirt giveway/promotion at the ballpark. Very sad, my thoughts are with his family.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    This still has me really upset.

My girlfriend really didn't start watching Reds games with me until 2009 so she didn't remember him, so I told story after story about watching him put his body on the line making catches, diving into stands - how his uniform always seemed to be dirty by about 7 pitches into a game.

He was a guy who made the absolute most out of every ounce of talent he had.
    I went through the same thing last night, we got together the last week of 2008 Spring Training, a year where Freel was injured a lot of the year, so she didn't remember him. That Dodger Stadium crowd dive was the most insane thing I've ever seen in a ballpark.

Wish MLB was cool with YouTube, hard to find clips of his great plays over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    A number of studies have linked concussions with an increased risk for suicide, so those of you that are wondering are not off-base at all.
    I've suffered close to 17 in my lifetime. This scares the crap out of me.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Would love to see the Reds do some kind of awareness and fundraising program for mental health.

Attachment 6377
    One of my son's favorite players. I remember Freel telling my son of how he spent every hour of daylight on prefecting his baseball skills when he was younger. RIP Ryan Freel. My prayers go out to the entire Freel family.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Can we set up some sort of RedsZone donation program to benefit his family?
    I second this. As someone else said, he was a bright spot in some lean years and meant a lot to me. I don't know that he would have a tremendous stash left over and he has a young daughter. Would love to hear if something like this was put together.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Johnny Bench ‏@Johnny_Bench5
    Ryan Freel RIP. fun guy with guts and passion.@CincinnatiReds @MLB

Jeff Keppinger ‏@JKeppinger
    RIP Freely!!!! I'm shocked at this news! You'll always be remembered big guy! Christy, you and the girls be strong! Total sadness

RichAurilia35 ‏@RichAurilia35
    RIP Ryan Freel.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Very sad news-best wishes for his family.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was at work last night (my second job, gotta love working retail during the holidays ) and totally stressed out, got home almost an hour late due to an idiot coworker who showed up nearly 45 minutes late, and then read this sad news when I was catching up on Twitter. Talk about a wake up call to me about what's really important and to straighten out my stress level/irritation problem. I spent a good 15 minutes just crying for Ryan and his family & friends and had a hard time falling asleep. This is just so sad and I just cannot wrap my mind around life getting so horrible for someone that they feel like taking their own life is the only way to make it better. My heart breaks for his family and his friends/former teammates as I'm sure their pain is huge right now. I hope Ryan rests in peace and I will keep lifting up prayers for the people he left behind. Thanks for the great memories Ryan. You were always one of my favorite Reds and I'm sure you will be missed by the entire Reds family and fandom.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Can we set up some sort of RedsZone donation program to benefit his family?
    Money? I'm not opposed to it at all--in fact, I think it's a very nice gesture--but it strikes me odd to raise money for a family that earned 10+ million dollars in the past 6 years. Perhaps flowers or some kind of memorial would be a better way to go.

I just saw this a few minutes ago. I am very sad to hear about this. I always liked Freel. He hustled all the time and gave full effort everyday. I will always remember a fine running catch he made in a game in DC that I attended. It seemed like he covered half of the outfield to make that catch. I wish he could have realized all of the joy he gave many of us and could have gained satisfaction in life on that knowledge alone. R.I.P. Ryan Freel
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It's very possible, and like you, I mean that in all seriousness.
    I thought about Farney almost as soon as I heard about this. People who have been on the brink of suicide have said they hear voices in their head. You just have to wonder if this voice turned demonic at some point.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?