Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

I've always been curious. As someone who is young, and, god willing, and has there whole life in front of them, I am always curious about older people and how they handle death.

When your 60, 70, 80..knowing death is soon approaching..that everything you love, your favorite foods, your favorite movies and shows, you favorite hobbies (like following the reds), you favorite loves in life (like your children, grandchildren, friends and whatnot) are all about to disappear within any minute, within any year (due to oldness and the poor health it brings)...how do you guys deal with that?

It makes me afraid...as someone who works part time in a nursing home, I see alot of older people who are in there 70's, 80's and 90's and I just imagine how scared I would be..knowing there's no future, knowing there's nothing else to look forward to, knowing my favorite loves will soon disappear like yesterday's morning mist. Every day, could potentially be the last, and some just sit there, quietly still, looking through windows like little cats. They appear like a rotting flower during winter. There body cripples, there exterior yellows, and seemingly crumbles to dust.

But I guess, my main question is..Older people..in there 60's, 70s, 80's, etc..How do you look at the future..how do you look at death? I know some are religious, but that feeling of knowing that death is approaching so ever nearer? That everything is on the brim of being over? Is it a spiritual nirvana of some sort? But, what if there isn't a god, what if there is no heaven, what if the end is truly the end? What if we just go back to the beginning, when we knew nothing of our creation and didn't exisist...is there no trembling fear of yes, this person who i lived in this body of mine for so long, will disappear, and so will all my adventures of life will dissapear with it...

Or is there a fear, that the thing that you run away from all your life (our body wants to stay alive, we fear death, it's a natural human emotion) will be something you have to face no matter what?

It makes me relish my youth more so I guess in some ways..

But I can't imagine how seniors live there life...how depressing it must be..how frightening it must be...i know everything that begins must end, but how do you come with the the grim reality, of yes, this life, this earth that I live on, these family and friends who i enjoy my company with, these foods that i treasure to eat, these earthly pleasures that i enjoy like sex, and smoking, and drinking alchol is gone, knowing that your favorite hobbies like writing short stories, or painting, or enjoying the beautiful nature of earth, or following sports, is truly, truly coming to it's end?

How do you deal with that? How do you come to accept that, yes, i'm old, and yes the future is quickly fading , and death is quickly approaching.. I just, can't fathom how you can live life the same way you did when you were 30 or 40 or even 50...your approach to life must become different no? Knowing that every year could be potentially your last?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

I'm 71 and look forward to many more years on this side of the ground. I'm in good health, take no medications and get around very well. I also own my home and have no problem cleaning, cooking, etc. Hell, I might even make it to 100.

As for death, it doesn't scare me as life ends for everyone at some time. When it's my time to go, I'll be ready. Why worry about it?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'm not old. I'm 52, but I have a genetic disease which has a reported life expectancy of 49. That's with a really wide ranged average, because my mother, who is 82, has it also.
    But, I could be gone in a few months, should it "activate".
    It has messed me up a bit, so I live with mild "background pain" 24/7/365. Nothing that can't be handled with some ibuprofen, however.
    I'm relatively fit and do almost everything I did when I was younger and which I still enjoy doing. I travel a lot, work hard and enjoy watching the REDS play.

I'm happy with my life, the family I raised, the stuff I've done. I stopped worrying about death altogether shortly after I was diagnosed with this thing five years ago.

I'm an atheist and don't believe in the afterlife, so when life functions end, they end.
    I've got no problem with that, I really think that humans give themselves and their lives far much too importance.
    In 50 years no one will remember me and in 5 billion years or less the whole planet will be a distant memory. So frankly, why worry?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Old is a state of mind

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

In 50 years no one will remember me and in 5 billion years or less the whole planet will be a distant memory. So frankly, why worry?

I don't think that's true. I think it all depends on what kind of mark you leave on the world..were you just a wall flower who passed through the passing of life, or did you strive to make a difference in humanity..whether it be through art, or through humanistic achievements, or scientific/mathematics achievements.

I know, that as long as humans exist, Jesus Christ, William Shakespeare, Albert Einstein, Martin Luther King, Sigmund Freud, actors like Clint Eastwood, or composers like Beethoven, or Mozart, or bands like the Beetles will seldom be forgotten as long as there will be another person to echo there name.

An even when the Earth get's dissolved by a Super Nova in 5 billion years or so, I still believe that humans can exist in other planets similar to earth and that galactic travel will be possible by then. Of course, the universe won't live forever either, and everything that begins, will also come to an end. But still, you should value your life more, your importance more, try to be a beacon of love, or hope, something that will effect people whether it be spiritually/emotionally/intellectually, etc. .

The older I get, the older the age gets that I think people are old. I'm 60 and I don't think I'm old. 80 is old to me.

However, 60 seems to be the age when you tell people how old you are, you get a "oh, isn't that nice". Which is the first time I 've gotten condescended to. And, I felt like telling the person to cram it where the sun doesn't shine.

I will say I've learned to appreciate the time I do have. I don't take days for granted any more. To paraphrase the song line, I have squandered much of my existence and I don't want to do that any more. I think I experience days a little more intensely now that I realize I probably have less years left than I've walked the face of this earth. My motor has slowed a bit. Nothing terrible, but I've realized I can't go 1000% all the time like I used to. I have to pick my spots.

I've learned that when a good moment comes, I stop and enjoy instead of thinking of all the things I need to do next. When I see a sunset that is cool, I stop and watch the light and the colors change. I appreciate standing in the woods and hearing a bird call and listen to the whole thing. I love spending time with my children and talking with them. When I'm out with friends, I have a blast. I love a good meal and good drink and good music. I relish challenges at work. I'm lucky in that I enjoy my work. I like my life and I want to enjoy each of the moments that are in it.

The other nice thing is that I speak my mind freely and I really don't give a flying fig what other people think.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The older I get, the older the age gets that I think people are old. I'm 60 and I don't think I'm old. 80 is old to me.

However, 60 seems to be the age when you tell people how old you are, you get a "oh, isn't that nice". Which is the first time I 've gotten condescended to. And, I felt like telling the person to cram it where the sun doesn't shine.

I will say I've learned to appreciate the time I do have. I don't take days for granted any more. To paraphrase the song line, I have squandered much of my existence and I don't want to do that any more. I think I experience days a little more intensely now that I realize I probably have less years left than I've walked the face of this earth. My motor has slowed a bit. Nothing terrible, but I've realized I can't go 1000% all the time like I used to. I have to pick my spots.

I've learned that when a good moment comes, I stop and enjoy instead of thinking of all the things I need to do next. When I see a sunset that is cool, I stop and watch the light and the colors change. I appreciate standing in the woods and hearing a bird call and listen to the whole thing. I love spending time with my children and talking with them. When I'm out with friends, I have a blast. I love a good meal and good drink and good music. I relish challenges at work. I'm lucky in that I enjoy my work. I like my life and I want to enjoy each of the moments that are in it.

The other nice thing is that I speak my mind freely and I really don't give a flying fig what other people think.

Funny, how that works, ain't it

Nm
    Last edited by westofyou; 12-23-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

This junk is all fine and dandy

But seriously, you are going to die soon

How do YOU feel?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    This junk is all fine and dandy

But seriously, you are going to die soon

How do YOU feel?
    I'm not looking forward to it, if that's what you mean. But, besides taking care of myself, there isn't a hell of a lot I can do about it. So, I'm not dwelling on it. At least not yet. I got more stuff to do. When my time comes, then so be it.

Death has become more discernable though. Many people I've know have died. It's a real thing now. It didn't used to be.

And I did mean what I wrote before. It's not junk.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Ah I'm just funning I know there's no junk in there.

I'm also riffing off the title, "old people" as if that's not a moving target based on who the audience is

Define "soon".

Can't answer the question though, because the thread would then have to be moved over to the other forum. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Old is a state of mind
    Tell that to my joints. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Define "soon".

Can't answer the question though, because the thread would then have to be moved over to the other forum. LOL
    I'm 57 but I don't regard myself as "old" (except when I try to get up ).
    I am more conscious of death as I get older, just because of the death of friends and their family members.
    However old you may be, "every year could potentially be your last." One of my partners suffered the tragic loss of his 25 year old son last month.
    Given board rules I can't really answer the question, but since other posters in this thread have mentioned a lack of religious faith I will at least bend the rules and say that my answer would include a reference to 1 Corinthians chapter 15.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Something to cheer you older folks up:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

-Dr Suess.

Turn Off Ads?