Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

Re: So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

Topic almost reads like a threat
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

In ten years, medical advances may have pushed the average life expectancy to 150......

Young people, how do you feel about having to work another 110 years?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I will say I've learned to appreciate the time I do have. I don't take days for granted any more. To paraphrase the song line, I have squandered much of my existence and I don't want to do that any more. I think I experience days a little more intensely now that I realize I probably have less years left than I've walked the face of this earth. My motor has slowed a bit. Nothing terrible, but I've realized I can't go 1000% all the time like I used to. I have to pick my spots.
    Not to burst your bubble, Roy, but I do believe the line is "I have squandered my resistance".

Really hoping this doesn't affect your life philosophy

Enjoying this thread.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, Roy, but I do believe the line is "I have squandered my resistance".

Really hoping this doesn't affect your life philosophy

Enjoying this thread.
    Well, that's it, someone pass me a razor blade.

Dang. http://www.simonandgarfunkel.com/us/...-edition/boxer

Next thing you know, you'll tell me the Creedence line is "there's a bathroom on the right".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Next thing you know, you'll tell me the Creedence line is "there's a bathroom on the right".
    Doesn't Journey have a song about coming to you with broken arms?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Got your back here Roy.... I'm an existentialist!

http://www.elyrics.net/read/s/simon-...er-lyrics.html

(but they say resistance...)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Always thought it was existence. Makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Doesn't Journey have a song about coming to you with broken arms?
    I never understood the lyric, "the wheel in the pie keeps on churning" either. Makes much more sense if the wheel is in butter doesn't it?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Stolen quote from another message board......

My plan....."Never die". You may laugh, so but so far my plan is working perfectly.

Did George Costanza start this thread?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Topic almost reads like a threat
    I'm almost inclined to believe RedTruck knows something we don't. This guy's way over-thinking it though. Addressing your mortality is like ripping off a band-aid. Just assume you're invincible until the very end and then yank it clean. This guy's gonna spend his whole life slowly peeling and wincing at every plucked hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Did George Costanza start this thread?
    A classic!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwdGWQISoE
    Last edited by GAC; 12-29-2012 at 04:49 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

These days "You're only as old as you feel" is a really depressing statement. Probably not the best time to answer this, since, for the fourth or fifth time in the past week, I've been up all night because of pain.

Briefly, though, the older you get, the less you dread death. At least that's true for me. I'm only 50, but I feel as thought miy childhood was so long ago that I can't possibly still be alive. I can't imagine how the 94 year old woman I go to church with feels!

Twenty five or so years ago I was in a car wreck in which I was absolutely certain I was going to die. I felt utterly at peace. I wasn't physically near death, I was just in a situation where I was sure I wouldn't survive (school bus coming directly through my windshield). Whether I was at peace because of the release of brain chemicals or whatever, I was at peace, and that's still a comfort.

I do believe there's more to us than this life for both religious and scientific reasons. In the end, though, I think becoming comfortable with the idea of death is more experiential, and I think it's something most people come around to. These bodies weren't built to last forever. The older you get, the more true that becomes.

Besides that, I was present at the filming of a Brady Bunch episode. What more is there to live for?
    Last edited by marcshoe; 12-29-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

When I was in my mid 30's....people still thought I was only 28-29. Now ten years later...they think I am in my late 30's. Maybe beacuse I am single....but it seems I try my best to keep up my appearance...work out 3-4 times a week. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life and my drinking is maybe once every two weeks....then nothing for a month. I do not try to get a sun tan for the last 15 years. I look pale but I look a lot younger than some of these burned out California Sun worshipers that I see out there. It does amaze me that half my life is almost over or most likely is. I just want to keep people guessing as to how old I am. These bags under my eyes don't help. I have lack of sleep issues...that seem to happen more as I get older. Maybe it's the coffee?

I'm in lousy shape and people still think I'm fifteen years younger than I am. It's genetics. My mother is just now getting a little gray, and she'll be 71 in a few weeks. I actually grew a beard so I would look older, but it only works when it gets long enough for a few gray hairs to show up.

So I'm 50, look 35, and feel 80, mostly because of kidney stones and neck spurs.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?