Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

Re: So, old people on this board, how do you deal knowing you will die soon?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Something to cheer you older folks up:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

-Dr Suess.
    Or we can just sit back and remember the 70's

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Run Joey Run

The question is, what does RFS have to say about this?

He's older than the rest of us put together. Plus three.

I love the line in "It's a Wonderful Life" - "Youth is wasted on the young." When I was younger (and I just turned 58), I remember reading something about some writer who had turned 100 and she was asked how she wrote stories about young people with such vitality. Her reply was simple, "I am that young person."

When I was very young in the 60's (you can do that math), we heard the anthem that said "Hope I die before I get old." We heard you were "over-the-hill at 30." I realized when I hit 30 that everyone who said that was either 40 or dead (a lot of them checked out before they hit the big 3-0).

I had a neighbor who passed away in the late summer, a few months shy of her 105th birthday (no, that's not a typo). She lived in my Cincinnati city neighborhood her entire life. She told me about the people who lived in the house next to mine who tied a pony up in their side yard where a house now sits. She may well have been the person who lived in one neighborhood the longest of anyone who has ever lived in the city of Cincinnati.

Until December 28, 2010, my children had all four of their grandparents. On that day my wife's father died at 88, and in October a year ago, my Mom passed away at 83. Good long lives.

My father-in-law died suddenly that night, but what a last day of a life; lived with a nice lunch with his oldest son, me, and two of his grandsons where he told us plainly that none of us have figured out how to beat this deal (no dying); had a great meal with family, some extra fudge and cookies and then just dropped dead while he and my son went to take the trash out. My Mom on the other hand, saw it coming, as her health deteriorated over a year. She told me one day, "I'm dying" and said I knew that and asked how it felt. "It's scary," she said. In her last week, we gathered with her and one afternoon when I was leaving, she hugged me and said "you know what was a lot of fun?". I asked her what and she said "going to see 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou" which I'd taken her to see because she loved to laugh and I wanted to hear her laugh at that movie. The day the palliative care team came in to see her about end of love care the doctor asked how she was doing. She asked him if she'd ever seen the movie "The Princess Bride" and when he said he had, she said that was how she felt, "mostly dead". She loved a good joke.

My point? My youngest daughter and I were talking when my next older brother was dying from cancer when he was 49. She said it wasn't fair and I agreed. I told her I'd done a lot of genealogy work over the years and one thing you learn is, you're related to a lot of dead people. I told her it wasn't fair when my great-great grandfather died at age 43 from a bee sting or when my own grandfather died at 44 from a blood clot. And I told her something akin to what my father-in-law said, "none of us are getting out this alive." Hell, she was maybe 16, but it's a lesson to learn in life because it's true. And it doesn't take one bit away from the wonder of life, no matter how hard or tragic it may ever be.

It's a wonder each morning you wake up. Our society sells us a bill of goods, if you will, especially over the last 50 years or so, telling us that only youth matters. Life matters and each day, again, is a wonder. I don't fear death, I enjoy life and am grateful to have every breath I'll get. And while I have a particular religious faith, I don't think that's essential for one to have those beliefs. It's all a gift.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

This is one of the funnier threads I've read on RedsZone recently.

Just curious--is anybody offended by it?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

I wasn't offended by it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'm not either. Seemed the base noter was sincere in his questions.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Everyone should enjoy the pleasure of aging

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I am 40 so I vaguely remember the 70's but honestly how much more fun and relaxed were the 70's? I think I should have been born 10 years before I was.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I am 40 so I vaguely remember the 70's but honestly how much more fun and relaxed were the 70's? I think I should have been born 10 years before I was.
    That movie dazed and confused nailed it

The only thing sad about dying is dying with regret. Tell everyone you love that you love them every day, and do your best to show them that you do. Be happy, and make other people happy, and you won't have any regrets.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

A woman goes into the local newspaper office to see that the obituary for her recently deceased husband is published. After the editor informs her that the fee for the obituary is 50
    cents a word, she pauses, reflects and then says, "Well, then, let it read 'Fred Brown died'."

Confounded at the woman's thrift, the editor stammers that there is a 7-word minimum for all obituaries. The woman pauses again, counts on her fingers and replies, "In that case, 'Fred Brown died: 1983 Pick-up for sale'."

A Packer fan was enjoying himself at the game in a packed Lambeau Field, until he noticed an empty seat down in front. He went down and asked the guy next to it if he knew whose seat it was. The guy said, "Yes, that's my wife's seat. We have never missed a game since the Lombardi days, but now my wife is dead." The fan offered his sympathy and said it was really too bad he couldn't find some relative to give the ticket to so they could enjoy the game together... "Oh no," the guy said, "they're all at the funeral."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Not offensive at all. I just hope all of you young whipper-snappers have the memory of your fav MLB team winning the World Series before the Grim Reaper comes to get you. Advantage old-guys and old-girls!

redsfanhere

fortunately alot of us older people made it to this stage in life and most of us are very grateful for it... the real question to be asked is what about the younger folks that didnt make it to this point that got cheated out of this precious stage of their life and how their familys must have felt.so i say we all must live every day like its our last and enjoy the ride goodluck to all of you if your so fortunate to get to that point in your lifes.and yes reach out to your family and friends that has reached this point and tell them you would like more time with them.

Turn Off Ads?