0 0%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect? 2013

Who is Redszone's #6 prospect? 2013

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker

Christmas Edition. Merry Christmas to everyone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect? 2013

Nick Travieso.

Would like to see Josh Fellhauer added to the list next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Would like to see Josh Fellhauer added to the list next time.
    Noted.

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-23-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Out of 48 picks in slot number 14 of the first round, 16 (or a third) have failed to make it to the majors. Of course, some of these players are still making their way through the minors. Another 13 have negative career WAR values (per baseball-reference).

Notable number 14 picks:

Derrek Lee
    Tino Martinez
    Cliff Floyd
    Jason Varitek
    Tom Brunansky
    Scott McGregor
    Don Gullett
    Jason Heyward
    Lee Mazzilli
    Jeff Weaver
    Ron Karkovice
    Billy Butler

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Out of 48 picks in slot number 14 of the first round, 16 (or a third) have failed to make it to the majors. Of course, some of these players are still making their way through the minors. Another 13 have negative career WAR values (per baseball-reference).
    Yep.

My pick is with the guy who has a 100% chance of making the majors and a better than average chance of putting up a positive WAR. Travieso is too far away for my liking. I'll take Henry Rodriguez. He's being under rated this year due to his supposed 'low ceiling' just like Todd Frazier was under rated last year.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 12-24-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I'll take the upside of Travieso over the proximity of HRod. HRod is still a good prospect, but I am not sure he will ever have a chance to make a big impact with Phillips locked into 2B. Travieso has ace stuff. I will go with ace stuff over a guy who could be a legit bat, but may not have a chance to play somewhere regularly in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I'll take the upside of Travieso over the proximity of HRod. HRod is still a good prospect, but I am not sure he will ever have a chance to make a big impact with Phillips locked into 2B. Travieso has ace stuff. I will go with ace stuff over a guy who could be a legit bat, but may not have a chance to play somewhere regularly in the bigs.
    Should potential playing time have any bearing on a prospect's evaluation? Did you move Yonder Alonso down in your rankings because he was blocked by Votto?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Should potential playing time have any bearing on a prospect's evaluation? Did you move Yonder Alonso down in your rankings because he was blocked by Votto?
    I don't think it should, but at the same time, I don't think the Reds look at HRod as more than a utility guy. That probably should have some bearing on it.

I think its pretty clear at this point. Hamilton and Stephenson are A- guys. Corcino and Cingrani are B's. I had Didi as a B- along with Travieso and Winker. After these guys we're looking at a bunch of C prospects IMO. I hope we could find a C+ or two out of the group that includes H-Rod, Y-Rod, Soto, Lamarre, Rogers, Lutz, etc. I'll be anxious to read the discussion because I think the prospect ranks are only 6 deep. We're into "interesting" from there on IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think it should, but at the same time, I don't think the Reds look at HRod as more than a utility guy. That probably should have some bearing on it.
    The Reds didn't look at Frazier as anything more than a utility guy either, but they certainly changed their tune once he started smacking around major league pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    The Reds didn't look at Frazier as anything more than a utility guy either, but they certainly changed their tune once he started smacking around major league pitchers.
    I don't think their thoughts were the same. While I am sure there were some who thought he was more utility guy, plenty thought he could start too. Rodriguez, I haven't heard the same kind of things about. Most people think he will hit for a good average, but the whole package isn't really something that gets talked about with him.

Would it be fair to say Rodriguez's ceiling is similar to that of Martin Prado?

Turn Off Ads?