Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2012 weird and wacky....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

2012 weird and wacky....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87...012-mlb-season

Fun read. Here's one of my favorites though....

But finally, here's this important question: Who had the better year -- Dunn or his "hot-hitting" teammate, Alex Rios? Don't answer too hastily now. Dunn hit .204 in 649 trips to the plate. Rios hit .304 in 640 trips. But Dunn still reached base more times (216) than Rios did (214)? You can look it up!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 weird and wacky....

One ozf the great things about baseball is that an article like this can be compiled every season....endlessly fascinating. How about the back to back to back jacks with the same fan catching 2 of them? Chapmans strikeout dominance at the point where he fanned something like 20 or 21 of the last 25 batters he'd faced? You could go on and on...

Odd that this never happened before:

Strangest But Truest Switch-hitting Feat of the Year: On May 8, Carlos Beltran hit two homers in a game left-handed. Three days later, he hit two in a game right-handed. And how many switch-hitters had ever done that, in either order, in the same week? That would be zero, friends.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    One ozf the great things about baseball is that an article like this can be compiled every season....endlessly fascinating. How about the back to back to back jacks with the same fan catching 2 of them? Chapmans strikeout dominance at the point where he fanned something like 20 or 21 of the last 25 batters he'd faced? You could go on and on...

IIRC, Jayson Stark does a column like this after every season. It's a good column that shows how each season is uniquely different.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    How about Votto batting .500 for a 23 game stretch between May 25 and June 19?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    How about Votto batting .500 for a 23 game stretch between May 25 and June 19?
    I don't know if that was weird or wacky but rather just studly. That's in a different category onto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    lol that's some good stuff. I'm shocked at the amount of bad writers there are for otherwise good news papers.

Baseball attracts the greatest sportswriters...but it also has the largest number of hacks and word butchers. When I read the Minnesota Review I realize what can be accomplished with the subject...when I read the Enquirer or Star.....not so much. And it seems when a paper gets an actually good sportswriter they reassign them or lose them to other media

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

• It was tough to top that outing, but 18 days later, Camp showed up in the ninth inning of a tie game against the Reds and threw two pitches. Xavier Paul hit the first for a triple. Ryan Hanigan hit the second for a walkoff single. So that went: 2 batters, 2 pitches, 2 hits, 1 loss.
    Haha, I was at this game (it was Faith Day) and had just said to my mom how awesome it would be to see a walk off win by Ryan Hanigan (who had gunned down a Cub runner at third base in the top half of the inning which helped keep the game tied)....and two minutes later we saw Ryan get the game winning hit! That was awesome.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Haha, I was at this game (it was Faith Day) and had just said to my mom how awesome it would be to see a walk off win by Ryan Hanigan (who had gunned down a Cub runner at third base in the top half of the inning which helped keep the game tied)....and two minutes later we saw Ryan get the game winning hit! That was awesome.
    I was there too. I was sitting with Cubs fans who were scratching their heads at the attempt to steal 3rd when Chapman throws 100. That lost them the game. And Xavier Paul was more excited about his triple than the amped-up crowd was. Was a GREAT day game to be at for Reds fans. Even Valdez got a hit!

Turn Off Ads?