Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big TV deal... Fox Sports purchases Sports Time Ohio

Big TV deal... Fox Sports purchases Sports Time Ohio

Here's the article..

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index..._flyout_sports

The big news is the Indians get $400 million for the next 10 years, which is 40 million per year. Also the owner of the Indians who owns STO is getting an additional $230 million for the station or channel.

Wonder how this effects our Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big TV deal... Fox Sports purchases Sports Time Ohio

Considering the metro rating areas are virtually the same, I would imagine it will be a toss up with any difference being drawn from the investment Mr. C has put into the team on the field and the stars he has under contract.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Wonder how this effects our Reds.
    This takes a potential competitor for TV rights out of the picture before the next TV contract negotiation. That's not a good thing, if you are rooting for the Reds to get a huge payday from their next TV deal.

The upside is that if the Reds don't get a huge bump in their next TV deal, your cable/satellite bill in their territory will not go up as much.
    /r/reds

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the Reds might be pursuing their own network.

Sounds far-fetched to me.

The Reds also had the #2 TV rating in 2012 and #1 radio rating. Pretty impressive, IMO.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    The Reds also had the #2 TV rating in 2012 and #1 radio rating. Pretty impressive, IMO.

-Matt
    Regional, national can you elaborate a little, just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the Reds might be pursuing their own network.

Sounds far-fetched to me.
    I am not so sure this is far fetched....the region could provide some pretty powerful specialty programming including College Hoops, Football, Minor League Sports, etc.

Several years ago there was some real momentum for the Reds and Clear Channel partnering where Clear Channel actually would have OWNED THE REDS...thank God that didn't happen, I can hardly stand to listen to Ryan Seacrest as much as he is on now anyway let alone if he was playing third base!

When Mr. C stepped in it put all of that to rest however, with as savvy as they are as a whole I would not count out the very real potential of this rumor, remember the revenue generated on this type of network (24/7/365) would potentially be greater than any amount a network would be willing or able to pay our beloved Reds!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Regional, national can you elaborate a little, just curious...
    In all of MLB.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...nkees/1610337/

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../MLB-RSNs.aspx

Wow, so we should be looking at Dodger and Yankee money!!!

From what I am seeing the Reds should get a lot more than the Indians based on the ratings, didn't realize they where in the 28th in the league...

Also the Reds are not top 5 in audience size daily viewing per person they were ninth...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2012/...radio-ratings/

Based on this I could see the Reds getting from 60 to 100 million a year when there contracts are up...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Wow, so we should be looking at Dodger and Yankee money!!!

From what I am seeing the Reds should get a lot more than the Indians based on the ratings, didn't realize they where in the 28th in the league...

Also the Reds are not top 5 in audience size daily viewing per person they were ninth...

Based on this I could see the Reds getting from 60 to 100 million a year when there contracts are up...
    Problem is, the Reds probably aren't going to gain much more in their ratings. They are already outstanding. Other teams aren't doing nearly as well in the ratings and are still close in overall viewership and have plenty of room to grow.

Thus is why it sucks to be a small market.

Ratings are shares of the market. The Reds maybe number 2 in ratings, but that's a share out of a much lower pool of viewers than most MLB markets.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Ratings are shares of the market. The Reds maybe number 2 in ratings, but that's a share out of a much lower pool of viewers than most MLB markets.
    That's why I mentioned they are #9 overall for TV....

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Keep in mind two things:

1. We have the largest percentage of viewers-per-market compared to all of MLB.

2. Cincinnati is the second-smallest MLB TV market, behind only Milwaukee.

That's why I mentioned they are #9 overall for TV....
    Actually the link you posted is for radio, not TV.

The problem with an alleged Reds network is that in order to make money, it would be a subscription channel. That will not sit well in a poor economy with a fanbase that currently gets FoxSports Ohio as part of the regular cable package. I cannot afford a subscription.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?