Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big TV deal... Fox Sports purchases Sports Time Ohio

Re: Big TV deal... Fox Sports purchases Sports Time Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    The problem with an alleged Reds network is that in order to make money, it would be a subscription channel. That will not sit well in a poor economy with a fanbase that currently gets FoxSports Ohio as part of the regular cable package. I cannot afford a subscription.
    As someone in San Diego, Directv has added both Fox Sports San Diego (Padres) and Time Warner Sports Net (Lakers) on the regular tier package with Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket.

There is a catch 22 with subscription base, you get the subscriber dollars, but the big bucks are made in advertising. A higher tier, means fewer viewers, thus fewer advertising dollars.
    Last edited by RBA; 12-28-2012 at 11:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not many people were watching STO last year. The Indians ratings were some of the worse in all of baseball. I know one thing though, with all that money going to Larry Dolan he defenitely will not spend it on any players for the Tribe. The guy is a tightwad when it comes to his baseball team. The Plain Dealer in Cleveland is always complaining about him. The Swisher deal was the largest in Indians history if that tells you anything.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The problem with an alleged Reds network is that in order to make money, it would be a subscription channel. That will not sit well in a poor economy with a fanbase that currently gets FoxSports Ohio as part of the regular cable package.
    This isn't true. The big money in a sports network comes from getting it onto cable/satellite systems as a BASIC channel. Having every cable/satellite subscriber in Reds Country effectively paying, say 75 cents a month, for the channel that carries the Reds is far more lucrative than a channel that has to be marketed as a subscription. This way, the money comes not only from fans, but from the people who subscribe to cable/dish and wouldn't watch a Reds game if it was played in their next-door neighbors' backyard.

Basic cable/dish subscribers are paying ~$4 a month for access to ESPN's channels. They just don't feel it because it isn't itemized on their bill, but it's money that goes back to ESPN in the form of per-subscriber license fees.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Actually the link you posted is for radio, not TV.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2012/...radio-ratings/
    Can you find the TV ones???

Also with changing demographics and such in the US, I don't think there is a whole lot of growth for Baseball overall, it is what it is. The Reds rule the summer in the Ohio valley, while in LA I think the Dodgers will be the Dodgers while the Angels will not grow but actually shrink.
    Last edited by bellhead; 12-29-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Can you find the TV ones???

Also with changing demographics and such in the US, I don't think there is a whole lot of growth for Baseball overall, it is what it is. The Reds rule the summer in the Ohio valley, while in LA I think the Dodgers will be the Dodgers while the Angels will not grow but actually shrink.
    When I saw that, it made me wonder if that's why the Angels are spending money out they wazoo the last couple off seasons-to compete with the $$$$ the Dodgers are putting out on the table. Hmm.. (I guess the Angels always have been second fiddle to the Dodgers, sort of like the way the White Sox and Mets are.)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the Reds might be pursuing their own network.

Sounds far-fetched to me.
    There were similar rumors surrounding their radio broadcasts before they re-upped with 700.

I'm not they can get much bigger than 50,00 WATT, 38 states (on a clear night) on one signal + network affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This isn't true. The big money in a sports network comes from getting it onto cable/satellite systems as a BASIC channel. Having every cable/satellite subscriber in Reds Country effectively paying, say 75 cents a month, for the channel that carries the Reds is far more lucrative than a channel that has to be marketed as a subscription. This way, the money comes not only from fans, but from the people who subscribe to cable/dish and wouldn't watch a Reds game if it was played in their next-door neighbors' backyard.

Basic cable/dish subscribers are paying ~$4 a month for access to ESPN's channels. They just don't feel it because it isn't itemized on their bill, but it's money that goes back to ESPN in the form of per-subscriber license fees.
    So, the end result is that cable rates still go up, only I no longer have a choice?

Good way to lose cable customers.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

So, the end result is that cable rates still go up, only I no longer have a choice?

Or keep them. The Reds are the ONLY reason I keep from cutting the cable cord.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Or keep them. The Reds are the ONLY reason I keep from cutting the cable cord.

Same here. Well, sports. If I weren't a sports fan, I wouldn't have a need for cable. I can access everything else I watch online through other sources (Netflix/Hulu Plus/Amazon Prime). If I lived outside of Cincinnati and weren't blacked out of Reds games, I would just get mlb.tv and be done with it all. But I do live here, so that isn't an option.

There is also another first this year with Direct Tv charging an additional 2$ for LA sports fans to watch the Lakers....

I get the MLB package as I am out of the viewing area and just suck it up, but where I'm at in life $200 isn't a major deal, it hurts to pay it, but in the long run I don't even notice it. Doug the HD on TV is still much better than MLB tv.. I think in the next 5 years the quality will be the same though.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sports rights fees are a big reason that cable/dish bills go up every year. Next time you read about some channel on your cable signing a multi-billion dollar contract with a sports league or the NCAA, keep in mind the per-subscriber rights fees. And view the deals through the prism that it's the subscribers who will ultimately be bankrolling those billions.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Yep, even worse for me is the Big 10 network.. I went to school in another conference, I don't care at all about the Big 10, yet I pay for it every month.
    Not a complaint, just stating a fact.. you're right, it's better to have every subscriber paying a little more for the Reds (hopefully the ratings support that)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    There is also another first this year with Direct Tv charging an additional 2$ for LA sports fans to watch the Lakers....

I get the MLB package as I am out of the viewing area and just suck it up, but where I'm at in life $200 isn't a major deal, it hurts to pay it, but in the long run I don't even notice it. Doug the HD on TV is still much better than MLB tv.. I think in the next 5 years the quality will be the same though.
    I've heard others say the same. But MLB.tv looks awesome for me, maybe its internet speed,. I have 20mb download, and my quality is as good as what extra innings looked like. I saved over $100 last year by going with MLB.tv. and direct got too expensive, so I went to insight, got whole home DVR and saved $35 a month thet too.

Just as an aside, be careful what you wish for vis a vis a la carte cable packages.

Hard to tell what shenanigans we would face.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just as an aside, be careful what you wish for vis a vis a la carte cable packages.

Hard to tell what shenanigans we would face.
    Beware the pale horse, and its rider's name was Phil from marketing on how best to raise cable rates next year.

Turn Off Ads?