Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2013 Thread

Jacksonville Jaguars 2013 Thread

Thankfully the 2012 Jacksonville Jaguars disastrous season is over. Seems like it took forever. But the off-season starts now.

All the sports networks are reporting that the 4 year run of GM Gene Smith will end tomorrow (on his birthday). A lot of us had faith in Gene... but it was a train wreck that just kept getting worse.

The networks seem divided as to whether Head Coach Mularkey is coming back. Some say he is gone tomorrow, some say the new GM will decide. I lean towards the latter. But I will not cry if he goes also.

Last thing left to decide is whether they have the #2 pick or #1 pick in the draft. It would take a KC win over Denver which would be quite the upset.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2013 Thread

The number 2 pick could be a blessing in disguise. A lot of the mock drafts I have been seeing are showing KC taking Geno Smith number 1. That will prevent Jax from punting the pick for another project. Plus with the depth of the top 10 picks or so, trading down is very enticing. I'm from Savannah and have always followed the Jags even though I have been a Colts fan since before the Jags existed.

As you noted the Jags ended up with the number 2 pick as expected. They struck quickly being the first team to fire their GM at 8:08 AM on Black Monday.

They have not fired HC Mike Mularkey yet. The consensus is that the new GM will decide on Mularkey. It was noted that Mularkey reports directly to owner Shad Khan and not the GM.

Khan is wasting no time...

Doing some detective work people found out that Khan at 2 PM got in his private jet and flew to ATL and interviewed GM Candidate Dave Caldwell. He then flew to Illinois. Probably because it's home, although he might have interviewed a Bears candidate.

As we speak this morning he is enroute to San Jose Ca, where he will interview 49's candidate Mike Gamble. You can actually follow his plane at

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/F...745Z/KVQQ/KGVL
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.

I really like Kahn and think he's going to wind up being a great owner in the long run. I love his overall approach and his level of commitment to building a great franchise. He seems to have a great business mind and understands what it takes to be successful (although I was a bit confused by his sticking with Gene Smith after he took over, and even MORE confused by allowing Bratkowski within a thousand miles of his offense).

With my new job, I now know I'm going to be here for the long term, so I'd love to see them stay here and be successful. But they need to make a big step in the right direction in the next 2 years. I think this town is really primed to be a great NFL town, but they can't really afford too many more years of nothing to get excited about. They HAVE to nail next year's draft.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think this town is really primed to be a great NFL town, but they can't really afford too many more years of nothing to get excited about.
    It was a pretty darn good NFL town in the beginning. I moved there shortly after they got the team, so I got to watch them build it from the ground up. It was good, then.

But I think the main reason my Jaguars fandom didn't really survive the move to Tennessee is the same reason the fan support has slowly slid, and the same reason I never latched onto the Titans up here: they've been just plain boring most of the time, even aside from being largely mediocre. So you're right -- among other things, Khan has to figure out how to get the Jaguars to matter again, at least in their own town.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

That's one of the reasons I hope that Chip Kelly comes here (which I doubt). He'd be exciting

I'd think the immediate question for fans of the jags...Is it Tebow time? For better or worse, there have been a lot of reports of the owner wanting Tebow in a Jags uniform.

the long term question might be the viability of the franchise moving to LA. With ground and a plan ready for construction, its only a matter of time before the NFL is back in LA. Chargers & Jags have been the names most often linked to that plan.

Tim Tebow: the guy your team trades for when they need to boost their jersey sales.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I really like Kahn and think he's going to wind up being a great owner in the long run. I love his overall approach and his level of commitment to building a great franchise. He seems to have a great business mind and understands what it takes to be successful (although I was a bit confused by his sticking with Gene Smith after he took over, and even MORE confused by allowing Bratkowski within a thousand miles of his offense).
    Now granted I pay about as much attention to the daily going-on's of the Jaguars as any other non-Jacksonville Jaguar fan does, but I get the impression I get is that Khan is on the fast track to becoming a Bud Adams/Woody Johnson/Jerry Jones type meddlesome owner. Who he picks as GM and how much reign he allows that man will go a long ways towards indicating if that is the case, though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sounds like Mularkey will be one and done in Jacksonville.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Obviously step 1 in the hopeful rebuilding of the Jags has started. Dave Caldwell has been hired as the new GM. Press Conference tomorrow (Thursday) at 4 PM. Mularkey's status will be known then. Most expect him to go based on the fact that the assistant coaches were told they could look for other jobs.

No one knows how successful Caldwell will be, but as one local sports guy said today. '"It's nice for one that the guy that had several options and was in demand chose Jacksonville'.

ESPN is reporting Mularkey has been fired

Four words to turn that franchise around:

Tim Tebow - Player-Coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Four words to turn that franchise around:

Tim Tebow - Player-Coach.
    nah, too simple. 6 words.

Tim Tebow - Player - Coach - General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    nah, too simple. 6 words.

Tim Tebow - Player - Coach - General Manager
    Not sure that would work. He seems too honest. If he was GM, he'd probably cut himself.

17. Likes:

redsfanmia (09-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?