Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2013 Thread

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2013 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Why don't they just sign Tebow? If the consensus is that Tebow is bad, why not start him in hopes of landing the 1st pick? At least Tebow will put some people in the seats.
    Why punish them with even worse football?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The problem isn't signing Tebow, it's what to do once they have him.

If he signs, the fans will expect him to play. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it's not like their future QB is on the roster.

But if he plays, his legions of fans in the area will expect the Jaguars to change their offense so he has a chance to succeed. This is a problem, because the Jags will be hammered for setting him up to fail if they don't, and if they do, they're wasting everyone else's time if that's not the offense they intend to run in the future.

Then, if he has any success whatsoever, they'll throw a tantrum if the Jaguars try to draft or bring in anyone else. I don't think for a minute the Jags would pass on a franchise QB for fear of fan backlash, but there would be a backlash, one that would likely negate any PR gains from having Tebow on the team in the first place.

None of that is Tebow's fault, by the way. But Jacksonville is just up the road from Gainesville. It's not a place where he can be treated as just another disposable backup quarterback.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

5. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-19-2013),Revering4Blue (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The problem isn't signing Tebow, it's what to do once they have him.

If he signs, the fans will expect him to play. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it's not like their future QB is on the roster.

But if he plays, his legions of fans in the area will expect the Jaguars to change their offense so he has a chance to succeed. This is a problem, because the Jags will be hammered for setting him up to fail if they don't, and if they do, they're wasting everyone else's time if that's not the offense they intend to run in the future.

Then, if he has any success whatsoever, they'll throw a tantrum if the Jaguars try to draft or bring in anyone else. I don't think for a minute the Jags would pass on a franchise QB for fear of fan backlash, but there would be a backlash, one that would likely negate any PR gains from having Tebow on the team in the first place.

None of that is Tebow's fault, by the way. But Jacksonville is just up the road from Gainesville. It's not a place where he can be treated as just another disposable backup quarterback.
    Not that I think Tebow can be a good QB in the NFL but I don't see why they have to change their offense because to suit him. Let them run a regular offense and see what he can do. If it's a passing play, he either throws the ball or runs with it. Lots of QBs have had success doing just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why punish them with even worse football?
    As I said, to get the #1 pick and put people in the seats in a lost year. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Maybe there's a "Major League" reason they don't want people in the seats?
    Razor.... you bring this up every time the Jags are mentioned. The Jags have already announced that no games will be blacked out in 2013 because they sold enough seats.

That will be the 4th straight season of no blackouts.

Last year the Jags drew more home fans than the Chicago Bears

More than the Pittsburgh Steelers, more then the Bengals

In fact more than 12 teams despite having one of the smallest metropolitan areas in the NFL. And a perenially crappy team.

Maybe you have them confused with Tampa Bay who was 31st in attendance. Here's a quote from Tampa TV web site earlier this month

"Since 2010, 19 of 24 home games have been blacked out. Last season the Bucs had the most blackouts out of any team in the NFL."

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    . But Jacksonville is just up the road from Gainesville. It's not a place where he can be treated as just another disposable backup quarterback.
    PS - It's more than that. He's from Jacksonville.

But odds of him coming here are about .000001%

Quote the GM - "Even if he's released"

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Razor.... you bring this up every time the Jags are mentioned. The Jags have already announced that no games will be blacked out in 2013 because they sold enough seats.

That will be the 4th straight season of no blackouts.

Last year the Jags drew more home fans than the Chicago Bears

More than the Pittsburgh Steelers, more then the Bengals

In fact more than 12 teams despite having one of the smallest metropolitan areas in the NFL. And a perenially crappy team.

Maybe you have them confused with Tampa Bay who was 31st in attendance. Here's a quote from Tampa TV web site earlier this month

"Since 2010, 19 of 24 home games have been blacked out. Last season the Bucs had the most blackouts out of any team in the NFL."
    Lol. I keep bringing it up because you get pissed at me for bringing it up.

I don't really have any idea if the Khan is thinking about moving the team to LA or not.

I think Jacksonville always gets brought up because they're one of the teams with a lease expiring and they have an owner not from the area. Those are the reasons people throw out the Jags as a possible team to move to LA more than anything to do with attendance.

I just thought my "Major League" line was funny.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

PS - It's more than that. He's from Jacksonville.

But odds of him coming here are about .000001%

Quote the GM - "Even if he's released"
    The same GM who drafted and continues to start Blane Gabbert. Maybe he should go against his intuition from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The same GM who drafted and continues to start Blane Gabbert. Maybe he should go against his intuition from time to time.
    Fail !! The GM that drafted Gabbert is gone. This guy is new

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Lol. I keep bringing it up because you get pissed at me for bringing it up.

I don't really have any idea if the Khan is thinking about moving the team to LA or not.

I think Jacksonville always gets brought up because they're one of the teams with a lease expiring and they have an owner not from the area. Those are the reasons people throw out the Jags as a possible team to move to LA more than anything to do with attendance.

I just thought my "Major League" line was funny.

You want to get a Jags fan worried.....mention London, not LA. Khan has signed us up to play 1 game a year there for next 4 years.

But Khan is investing big time in Jacksonville and the Jags. Has already spent 10 million upgrading sound system and locker room, and is joining with city to build largest scoreboard in the world, and he's buying real estate in town to develop.

Fail !! The GM that drafted Gabbert is gone. This guy is new
    What is worse drafting him or continuing to play him?

Who would you play? He decided to wait till 2014 to draft a QB since the 2013 class was very QB weak and 14 is loaded.

So you can play Henne or Gabbert..... might as well play Gabbert since you know Henne is just a guy. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing our 3rd (Stanzi) get reps..... try anything until you get a chance to draft your guy

I think it won't take many years before Khan is seen as one of the great owners in american professional sports. His biggest mistake was not cleaning house as soon as he bought the team. Gene Smith was awful in about any way you can measure a GM, and had been for years. I'm not sure why he wanted to wait a year, but I think he's brought in the right people now. I'm not a fan of the Jags, but living here I get some exposure to him. There's just something about him that makes me think he gets it. It may not reflect on the field for another few years, but I'd want him to own any of my teams.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

One of the lines mentioned in the article I suggested said that Wayne Weaver had a ton of faith in the previous GM Gene Smith and extended him before the sale. Gene Smith told Khan the Jags were close.

After the terrible season Khan says "You don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.... but when you are 2-14 you realize....there is no baby"

18. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-25-2013)

Well, the Jags continue to solidly the #1 pick even thought there are 3 other teams with no wins. They trade their left tackle in part to get their #1 pick over to LT where he normally plays and 2 pick up 2 draft choices next year.

And then Joeckel breaks his ankle and will miss the rest of the year. The Jags actually showed some signs of progress against the Rams. In fact I think if Henne had played instead of Gabbert the Jags would have won.

This week the Jags play the best team in the league, and are officially the biggest underdogs in point spread history. Here's to not getting embarrassed.

The rebuild slowly starts....

Turn Off Ads?