Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlins Will Listen On Giancarlo Stanton

Marlins Will Listen On Giancarlo Stanton

Now I know the Outfield is Full but hey... This is a Trade that you make by cleaning out your Prospects and Dominating Baseball the Next 4/5 years...

Give up Billy Hamilton? Yep... But Hamilton could or could not be... Stanton would provide Votto with the Protection he needs and Votto probably has a shot at hitting .400 I am serious!

The Reds probably would have to take Ricky Nolasco back and his $11.5 Million Salary for 2013 but he'd be a Free-Agent and you could offer him a contract and recieve a draft-pick because someone will sign him in the off-season...

Hamilton, Corcino, Soto, and Leake and whoever else they want who's not on the 25 man roster... They're not going to ask for Chapman... They want Cheap prospects back...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...o-stanton.html

Assistant General Manager Dan Jennings says that the club isn't shopping the right fielder, but they will listen to all offers for him...
    Last edited by Hondo; 12-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlins Will Listen On Giancarlo Stanton

the reds should make an offer.

I see the Mariners in on this.

Tijuana Walker, James Paxton, and Brandon Maurer without thinking.....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I'd give them any prospects they want.

As much as I'd love to have him, I just see the Reds getting outbid badly for his services

Stanton will require a huge contract similar to Vottos sooner than later. No way a market like Cincy could afford two. Remember how well it worked when Larkin and Griffey made up 70% of the team payroll several years back.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    Stanton will require a huge contract similar to Vottos sooner than later. No way a market like Cincy could afford two. Remember how well it worked when Larkin and Griffey made up 70% of the team payroll several years back.
    TBF the Larkin and Griffey we signed was not the Larkin and Griffey we received. If those 2 were playing at their HOF level it may not have been bad at all.

The Larkin contract was just bad tho, he wasnt the same player anymore. But for argument sake if he was it may not be all that bad.

If I were making the offer on behalf of the Reds I'd offer:

Billy Hamilton - exciting leadoff prospect that can fill SS or CF for the Marlins.

Choice of 2 out of 3 of Stephenson/Cingrani/Corcino - This would give the Marlins 2 legit controlled starting pitching prospects while leaving 1 in reserve for the Reds to fill in a rotation spot down the line.

Chris Heisey - A solid OF with major league experience that wouldn't cost Miami a lot for the next couple years.

Miami's choice of any other 2 from Henry Rodriguez, Soto, Lutz, etc.

This would be a prospect deal that would fill out 40% of Miami's starting rotation, 2 OF spots (or OF/SS) and a couple more prospect fillers with upside. I would be hard pressed to think many teams could offer a package like that without really affecting their existing major league roster.

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    I'd give them any prospects they want.
    Me too, but I don't think the Reds have enough desirable prospects to compete for Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Me too, but I don't think the Reds have enough desirable prospects to compete for Stanton.
    You might want to look at this... I really cannot believe you posted that sentence...

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9nq8?u...incinnati-reds

Even though Miami likes cheap players, I think Chapman would be in their best interests. They would be able to market him like CRAZY down there. The 6 mil a year he is owed? Easily would come back. Ticket sales on days he starts, uni sales, other random promotions involving him. But as I am not a business or marketing guy, so I could be way off.

I would do Chapman and Hamilton if it would land Stanton. Throw a B/C prospect or two on top. In order to get Stanton, you would have to give up something you would absolutely HATE to part with. I think this would be that haul. And again, Hamilton would be a great marketing tool as well. Players like that might help them get attendance up even though the team will suck. And the Reds would be put over the top acquring someone like Stanton. Also, Stanton is a better fit for us, while Hamilton is a better fit for them if you look at the parks. Miami's stadium is spacious, great for a crazy fast CF, bad for a slugger. GABP would be the opposite. Watching Stanton play 81 games in Cincy would be amazing.

I actually think a deal in this nature makes great sense for both teams for the reasons above.

These ramblings are my opinion on the matter

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    You might want to look at this... I really cannot believe you posted that sentence...

It will take two impact prospects at least to net Stanton. After hamilton i don't consider any of those to be impact prospects

Not disagreeing with your point. But I don't really see this as evidence that the Reds would be heads and shoulders in a better position to compete with other clubs offering prospects. Per that article:

"The accompaning article notes that the Reds are a little thinner as far overall minor league talent. Because of trades and promotions, 12 of the players on last year’s top 30 list don’t qualify for this year’s list."

Great things to be said about all of those guys in our Top 10. But most Top 10 prospect lists from any club are going to be pretty darn good and I would contend that our current farm depth is about middle of the pack in that conversation.

It's not that the Reds couldn't offer up something reasonable. It's that Texas, for instance, is better positioned to overpay with something more unreasonable than the Reds could probably pony up right now.

In the BA Chat after they posted the Reds rankings, they said Winker probably won't be a top 200 prospect, he might have said the same thing about Travieso too, can't remember. Travieso and Winker are 5/6. If are our 5 and 6 prospects aren't top 200 in all of baseball, then I can't believe you posted your sentence.

There is a link to his chat I believe in the Minor League forum on Redszone, under the thread title BA Chat.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    In the BA Chat after they posted the Reds rankings, they said Winker probably won't be a top 200 prospect, he might have said the same thing about Travieso too, can't remember. Travieso and Winker are 5/6. If are our 5 and 6 prospects aren't top 200 in all of baseball, then I can't believe you posted your sentence.

There is a link to his chat I believe in the Minor League forum on Redszone, under the thread title BA Chat.
    Yeah, Reds are probably middle of the pack in terms of prospects.

It also wouldn't make much sense in my opinion from a financial perspective. A medium market team can afford to have some high priced players. We have Votto, Phillips and to a lesser extent Bruce, Cueto, Arroyo, etc. over the longer term, we will try hard to extend Bailey and Latos, who will both be somewhat expensive.

The key for the Reds going forward will be to fill in around these core guys who are expensive with some cheap young players. We simply can't have a high priced veteran at every position and we can't afford to pay a guy like Stanton almost thirty million a year and also give up all of our potentially inexpensive young contributors as well.

The Reds will need a cheap starting OF like Hamilton will be for basically the rest of the decade. They are also going to need an inexpensive starting pitcher or two to emerge from the Stephenson, Cingrani, Corcino group.

Turn Off Ads?