Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 297

Thread: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

  1. #256
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,401

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Whatever Bonds was doing he should have patented it.
    It's already patented, as are all major drugs.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #257
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,740

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    I sometimes believe that a lot of commentators need to visit the Hall of Fame. I have been watching "Mike and Mike In The Morning" this morning. I really like the show. This morning Greenberg is there with Herman Edwards sitting in for Golic. Greenie and Edwards started repeating the claim that the failure to induct suspected PEDS users means that the HOF will totally ignore the steroids era.
    This claim is utterly absolutely untrue. If Bonds, Clemens, et al, never get plaques in Cooperstown this does not necessarily mean their career accomplishments will not be documented in the HOF.
    Pete Rose is not in the HOF. Rosie's career is documented in the HOF (I was there last July). Rose's BRM uniform, his bat and other artifacts are displayed. His career and the history of the BRM are both told. All that is missing is a HOF plaque for Rose. This is quite similar to the situation at the Reds Hall of Fame.
    People can certainly debate if possible PEDs users should be inducted into the HOF. I continue to believe that Bonds and Clemens will eventually get in, although it may take longer than I earlier believed. However it is not necessary to give them a ceremony and a plaque to tell the histories of their careers in Cooperstown.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  4. #258
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,022

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I sometimes believe that a lot of commentators need to visit the Hall of Fame. I have been watching "Mike and Mike In The Morning" this morning. I really like the show. This morning Greenberg is there with Herman Edwards sitting in for Golic. Greenie and Edwards started repeating the claim that the failure to induct suspected PEDS users means that the HOF will totally ignore the steroids era.
    This claim is utterly absolutely untrue. If Bonds, Clemens, et al, never get plaques in Cooperstown this does not necessarily mean their career accomplishments will not be documented in the HOF.
    Pete Rose is not in the HOF. Rosie's career is documented in the HOF (I was there last July). Rose's BRM uniform, his bat and other artifacts are displayed. His career and the history of the BRM are both told. All that is missing is a HOF plaque for Rose. This is quite similar to the situation at the Reds Hall of Fame.
    People can certainly debate if possible PEDs users should be inducted into the HOF. I continue to believe that Bonds and Clemens will eventually get in, although it may take longer than I earlier believed. However it is not necessary to give them a ceremony and a plaque to tell the histories of their careers in Cooperstown.
    What is the argument for keeping Bonds and Clemens out of the hall of fame?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  5. #259
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,740

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    What is the argument for keeping Bonds and Clemens out of the hall of fame?
    If you seriously want to know what are the arguments for keeping that duo out of the HOF then read the last 17 pages of this thread as well as countless other threads here. That was not the point of my last post. My point was to point out the fallacy of the argument that unless you give Bonds and Clemens a nice ceremony in Cooperstown one summer and present them with plaques then the museum in Cooperstown cannot tell the history of the game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  6. #260
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,022

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If you seriously want to know what are the arguments for keeping that duo out of the HOF then read the last 17 pages of this thread as well as countless other threads here. That was not the point of my last post. My point was to point out the fallacy of the argument that unless you give Bonds and Clemens a nice ceremony in Cooperstown one summer and present them with plaques then the museum in Cooperstown cannot tell the history of the game.
    I'm specifically asking you to articulate your argument.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #261
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,384

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If you seriously want to know what are the arguments for keeping that duo out of the HOF then read the last 17 pages of this thread as well as countless other threads here. That was not the point of my last post. My point was to point out the fallacy of the argument that unless you give Bonds and Clemens a nice ceremony in Cooperstown one summer and present them with plaques then the museum in Cooperstown cannot tell the history of the game.
    I agree.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  8. #262
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,022

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If you seriously want to know what are the arguments for keeping that duo out of the HOF then read the last 17 pages of this thread as well as countless other threads here. That was not the point of my last post. My point was to point out the fallacy of the argument that unless you give Bonds and Clemens a nice ceremony in Cooperstown one summer and present them with plaques then the museum in Cooperstown cannot tell the history of the game.
    If Bonds and Clemens are kept out of the HOF because of a PEDs rationale then the HOF can nolonger be considered an honest representation of the game's history because that argument implies player performance was not affected by PED use in other eras and it distorts the history of PEDs use in baseball in such a way as to whitewash the issues rather than move in a direction that more accurately reflects reality. The reality is that PEDs use and endemic cheating has been a significant part of the fabric of the game.

    How the HOF choses to honor individual players speaks directly to it's ability to be a credible source concerning the history of the game-the institution calls itself the Hall of Fame so it is virtually impossible to separate who it honors on a plaque from it's historical vision-at least one certainly can't expect the average baseball fan to split those hairs.

    If the Hall chooses to allow history to be whitewashed in it's most visible function, then it needs to change it's name to minimize the relevance of who it places on plaques. Perhaps it's best titled the "Professional Baseball Museum featuring the romantic musings of individuals who wrote about baseball at some point in their careers no matter how little they might have actually covered professional baseball"?
    Last edited by jojo; 01-10-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #263
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,744

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    I read this morning on si.com that the HoF is still "clean."

    What a joke, as many have pointed out here throughout this thread.

    Gaylord Perry made the HoF by being an admitted cheater; and we could go on and on about others. How is the HoF still "clean?" Part of the problem is perception as told to the masses by the media machines.

    There is no answer to this quandry, no easy quick fix, as the sands are ever shifting. There is no way to say who is clean and who was "dirty", and it's been left up to the baseball sportswriters, of all people, to figure it out.

    I don't have the answer, nor any solutions, and I respect John Fay for admitting the same. MLB needs to do something; it has to come from the top. It's a time for some leadership from the commissioner's office.

    Arguable the best pitcher and best hitter I have ever seen are denied entrance to the HoF. I don't blame the sportswriters, I blame Clemens and Bonds, as they have specifically been implicated.

    The problem, as we saw yesterday, is that other players have been painted guilty with that broad brush, caught up in that huge fish net. Collateral damage. It's not right, and it needs to be fixed.

  10. #264
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,384

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I read this morning on si.com that the HoF is still "clean."

    What a joke, as many have pointed out here throughout this thread.

    Gaylord Perry made the HoF by being an admitted cheater; and we could go on and on about others. How is the HoF still "clean?" Part of the problem is perception as told to the masses by the media machines.

    There is no answer to this quandry, no easy quick fix, as the sands are ever shifting. There is no way to say who is clean and who was "dirty", and it's been left up to the baseball sportswriters, of all people, to figure it out.

    I don't have the answer, nor any solutions, and I respect John Fay for admitting the same. MLB needs to do something; it has to come from the top. It's a time for some leadership from the commissioner's office.

    Arguable the best pitcher and best hitter I have ever seen are denied entrance to the HoF. I don't blame the sportswriters, I blame Clemens and Bonds, as they have specifically been implicated.

    The problem, as we saw yesterday, is that other players have been painted guilty with that broad brush, caught up in that huge fish net. Collateral damage. It's not right, and it needs to be fixed.
    Who should be a first balloter that isn't? Craig Biggio? That's certainly debatable. I think you already conceded that Bonds and Clemens are getting what they deserve by their exclusion from the first ballot crowd. So who is left out as collateral damage?
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. #265
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,744

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Who should be a first balloter that isn't? Craig Biggio? That's certainly debatable. I think you already conceded that Bonds and Clemens are getting what they deserve by their exclusion from the first ballot crowd. So who is left out as collateral damage?
    I wasn't discussing first ballot HoF'ers.

    To answer your question though, no one, as I don't think Piazza is a first ballot, but he does belong in the HoF. And he's already being accused because of acne on his back.

    Biggio hasn't been accused (yet) and belongs in the HoF, but not a first ballot.

    Just my opinion.

    Walker, Bagwell, Raines and maybe Trammell. Trammell will have to wait until he's old and go in with Whitaker as old timers.

  12. #266
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,384

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If Bonds and Clemens are kept out of the HOF because of a PEDs rationale then the HOF can nolonger be considered an honest representation of the game's history because that argument implies player performance was not affected by PED use in other eras and it distorts the history of PEDs use in baseball in such a way as to whitewash the issues rather than move in a direction that more accurately reflects reality. The reality is that PEDs use and endemic cheating has been a significant part of the fabric of the game.

    How the HOF choses to honor individual players speaks directly to it's ability to be a credible source concerning the history of the game-the institution calls itself the Hall of Fame so it is virtually impossible to separate who it honors on a plaque from it's historical vision-at least one certainly can't expect the average baseball fan to split those hairs.

    If the Hall chooses to allow history to be whitewashed in it's most visible function, then it needs to change it's name to minimize the relevance of who it places on plaques. Perhaps it's best titled the "Professional Baseball Museum featuring the romantic musings of individuals who wrote about baseball at some point in their careers no matter how little they might have actually covered professional baseball"?
    Only if one takes an ethical stance that "cheating" is "cheating" is "cheating," which is not a typical or healthy moral position.

    I'm guessing that folks taking that stance also have a similar view on all drug use. Pot use is really no different than alcohol consumption than cocaine sniffing than crack smoking than crystal meth production, sale and use. Its all just under the category "altered state of consciousness and helping folks get there."
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  13. #267
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,384

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I wasn't discussing first ballot HoF'ers.

    To answer your question though, no one, as I don't think Piazza is a first ballot, but he does belong in the HoF. And he's already being accused because of acne on his back.

    Biggio hasn't been accused (yet) and belongs in the HoF, but not a first ballot.

    Just my opinion.

    Walker, Bagwell, Raines and maybe Trammell. Trammell will have to wait until he's old and go in with Whitaker as old timers.
    I think its a pretty large leap to say that no one got in because of Bonds and Clemens. It is certainly a valid position that, but for the PEDs issue, they may have been the only worthy inductees, all things considered. I limit it to a statement made against those two alone.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #268
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,744

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think its a pretty large leap to say that no one got in because of Bonds and Clemens. It is certainly a valid position that, but for the PEDs issue, they may have been the only worthy inductees, all things considered. I limit it to a statement made against those two alone.
    My point is that because of Bonds, Clemens (because it's their first year of eligibility), McGwire, Sosa, and Palmeiro, many other deserving players have been tainted by the steroid issue. It was rampant during the era, some used, some didn't and there is no way to tell.

    I'll throw it out there, how can anyone know FOR SURE that Ken Griffey, Jr and Barry Larkin never used a steroid, EVER, while playing MLB? There is simply no way to know.

  15. #269
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,744

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Who should be a first balloter that isn't? Craig Biggio? That's certainly debatable. I think you already conceded that Bonds and Clemens are getting what they deserve by their exclusion from the first ballot crowd. So who is left out as collateral damage?
    The joke I was referring to is the quaint notion that the Hall of Fame is still "Clean."

  16. #270
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,384

    Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    My point is that because of Bonds, Clemens (because it's their first year of eligibility), McGwire, Sosa, and Palmeiro, many other deserving players have been tainted by the steroid issue. It was rampant during the era, some used, some didn't and there is no way to tell.

    I'll throw it out there, how can anyone know FOR SURE that Ken Griffey, Jr and Barry Larkin never used a steroid, EVER, while playing MLB? There is simply no way to know.
    To your first part, we'll just have to disagree because we probably disagree on the "deserving" part.

    On the second part, because there was no physical evidence of use, there is no anecdotal evidence of use, there is their own denials of use, there are other players' claiming they were clean.....unless you want them to prove a negative, which is patently unfair. Applying the duck test should give you a pretty good idea on identifying obvious users, whether the quack be stats, body mass, congressional testimony, one's own admission of guilt....

    The problem is that folks do not want to even apply the duck test because "we don't really know who did and didn't." Can we at least agree that Sammy Sosa quacks like a duck because of physical appearance and stats? That Rafael Palmiero quacks by confession? That Barry Bonds big head quacks? That dozens upon dozens cranking balls out of stadiums with arms like Glenn Braggs didn't get that way naturally? Quack?
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-10-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25