Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Uh, amphetamines absolutely boost performance.
    Where's the evidence?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fay Abstains from HOF Voting to Avoid Casting Votes for Bonds and Clemens

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    pretending to be an authority on a shadow science is equally disheartening
    Not sure that I ever claimed to be an authority. Just a reasonable person.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Where's the evidence?
    Have you ever taken amphetamines?

Over the grind of a long season, having the sharpness that an amphetamine gives you would be a huge advantage.

We have overwhelming evidence that the use of steroids had a significant effect on players production. We have no such evidence on the effect of greenies. It doesn't take a rocket or biological scientist to understand the difference between the two. In fact, I'm pretty sure even an MLB player understands the difference with great clarity.
    What you think you know is the effect of a confluence of cutting edge nutrition, cutting edge training, PEDS, expansion, and offensive environments.

Either PEDS are bad or not and a misty-eyed, nostalgic forgiveness of previous eras' sins doesn't justify acting like modern era PEDS users have crossed a line that is anything other than purely arbitrary. Either voters are going to protect the sanctity of historical truth or they are in actuality fiction writers.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Absolutely no evidence it helped anyone play baseball better. In fact, based on what we do know about it, it's likely that using amphetamines hurts your overall baseball performance, as it causes one to become shakey and clouds the mind. Also if baseball performance did increase by using amphetamines, and everyone was using them, then why didn't numbers improve during the 70's, like they did in the 90's and 00's?
    I can attest that focus doesn't vanish when one takes speed, as for numbers the rise of speed in the game coincided with the Mantle, Aaron, Mays era, incredible seasons of 300 ip by numerous guys.

Lots if strange stuff going on in that era

Like every other era too

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    What you think you know is the effect of a confluence of cutting edge nutrition, cutting edge training, PEDS, expansion, and offensive environments.
    PEDs are the only thing (hypothetically) not still around today from that list. Ironically video game like statistics aren't as popular either.

I can attest that focus doesn't vanish when one takes speed, as for numbers the rise of speed in the game coincided with the Mantle, Aaron, Mays era, incredible seasons of 300 ip by numerous guys.

Lots if strange stuff going on in that era

Like every other era too
    Amphetamines effect everyone differently. Most players currently are taking drugs that are used for ADHD. If most children without ADHD take these drugs, they become super hyper and lose focus in their studies. The exact opposite happens to those that take the drugs and do have ADHD.

Again, there are plenty of studies on the use of amphetamines and its effects on those who use them. I personally don't know of any on the effect it has on baseball players. I'm not saying they don't effect baseball performance, just that there is no evidence that they do.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

PEd's help you workout more when combined with proper nutrition. They are not magic candy.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Absolutely no evidence it helped anyone play baseball better. In fact, based on what we do know about it, it's likely that using amphetamines hurts your overall baseball performance, as it causes one to become shakey and clouds the mind. Also if baseball performance did increase by using amphetamines, and everyone was using them, then why didn't numbers improve during the 70's, like they did in the 90's and 00's?
    You do realize my Foster reference was pointing at steroid use in his case not greenies

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Nobody in particular. I'm saying, the players who are considered "borderline" hall of famers right now, what if they're "borderline" because they were facing juiced competition and weren't able to put up higher numbers? Most times in these discussions, people only look at it from one perspective. They see the juicers and their boosted numbers. What they're not seeing is that the non-juicers during that same time frame have DEFLATED numbers. Ken Griffey Jr for example...odds are quite good that he was facing pitchers who were juicing. If they weren't, his numbers would be better...right? Obviously Jr. isn't a borderline caliber player, but I'm just trying to show my point. Look at some of the pitchers in that era. Mike Mussina, Matt Morris, Hideo Nomo are 3 pitchers who become hall eligible in 2014. They pitched in the steroid era. If they're facing juiced batters, they're more likely to give up more dingers, have higher ERA's and more losses. I'm not pointing fingers, just saying that it cuts both ways.

And like I was saying, you can't vote for JUST Jack Morris. You have to vote for every player (yes or no) on the ballot. If you only vote for Morris, you're voting NO for every OTHER player.
    They way I understand it is that a voter gets to vote for 10 players to go in the HOF. If I was a voter the only one I would vote for this year would probably be Morris, maybe Biggio. If I had to check no on all the others I would.
    Where we gonna go?

You do realize my Foster reference was pointing at steroid use in his case not greenies
    What makes you think GF was a roid head?

I am a Fay fan...I think he does a great job and he tries his best to interact with the fans when he really has no contractual obligation to do so....talking with fans via social media cannot be on his list of favorite things to do yet he does it everyday of the season....or most everyday.....

with that said, JF needs to realize that he has an obligation to the fans being a HOF voter, and that obligation is to help vote players into the HOF that he thinks deserve to be in there....if he is not sure if they deserve to be in or not then just dont vote on those players, its not like this is the only year they will be on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I am a Fay fan...I think he does a great job and he tries his best to interact with the fans when he really has no contractual obligation to do so....talking with fans via social media cannot be on his list of favorite things to do yet he does it everyday of the season....or most everyday.....

with that said, JF needs to realize that he has an obligation to the fans being a HOF voter, and that obligation is to help vote players into the HOF that he thinks deserve to be in there....if he is not sure if they deserve to be in or not then just dont vote on those players, its not like this is the only year they will be on the ballot.
    But in his defense, things may become clearer in a year. The HoF might give them guidance. Something could happen.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Comparing uppers and steroids is like comparing the guy who cheated by glancing at someone's paper to someone who cheated by having copies of every test.
    But each is cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post

He has no obligation to communicate with readers? He is a sportswriter. What the heck is his job description then?

A writer ALWAYS has an obligation to pander to his readers.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?