Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #9 prospect for 2013?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

1 1.47%
  • Drew Cisco

2 2.94%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

0 0%
  • Jeff Gelalich

1 1.47%
  • Ryan LaMarre

2 2.94%
  • Dan Langfield

3 4.41%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

3 4.41%
  • Donald Lutz

10 14.71%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

3 4.41%
  • Jonathan Moscot

0 0%
  • Tanner Rahier

6 8.82%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

22 32.35%
  • Chad Rogers

0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

9 13.24%
  • David Vidal

0 0%
  • Kyle Waldrop

5 7.35%
  • Ryan Wright

1 1.47%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect? 2013

Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect? 2013

Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post
    I don't get the love for Lutz. If we're going to elect someone based off power and no defensive value, Soto should be the first one off the board I would think
    I'm simply going on what I have seen. Soto's swing and approach appears flawed to me. Lutz's problems seem to arise more from inexperience. I just like his swing better. But that is all from observation, and I'm no expert.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'm simply going on what I have seen. Soto's swing and approach appears flawed to me. Lutz's problems seem to arise more from inexperience. I just like his swing better. But that is all from observation, and I'm no expert.
    It's interesting to me that you like Lutz' swing when scouts tell me that's the thing they don't like about him. It's "awkward".

I went in another direction and picked Dan Langfield.

I like his plus fastball, slider, and curve combination and the system's ability to teach a better change up. Even if he can't find the feel for the change, he could become a Nick Massett or JJ Hoover type in the bullpen.

His K rate and K/BB rate were both outstanding in the Pioneer League. He was in the Top Ten of prospect pitchers (age 21 and under) in WHIP (8), H/9 IP (3), K (9), K/ 9 IP (4), K/BB ratio (10), ERA (6), among others.

Langfield's a bit older than he needs to be in the lower levels of the minor league feeder system. He's also had a history of struggling with command and his 4.1 BB/ 9 IP needs work. He's a bit undersized for a starter.

But, overall, Lanfield is a very intriguing prospect that likely deserves a top ten spot in a questionable Red minor league system.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It's interesting to me that you like Lutz' swing when scouts tell me that's the thing they don't like about him. It's "awkward".
    Like I said, I'm no expert, lol.

However, getting back to a point mth123 made, Lutz has only been playing baseball for a few years. I would expect his swing to be awkward. There's a big difference between an awkward swing and a swing with a hole in it. Todd Frazier has an awkward swing. Wily Mo Pena had a swing with a hole in it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I honestly don't see much difference between Rodriguez and fellow bonus baby Juan Duran. Duran was actually quite a bit better than Rodriguez when he went through Dayton as a 19 year old. They are both toolsy physical specimens who have precious few baseball-related skills. They get by on their freakish natural gifts and not much else. The only thing that used to separate them was that Rodriguez was thought to be an up-the-middle player. Now that he is profiling as a corner outfielder, I don't see any difference between them.

All the 'potential' in the world doesn't mean squat if they can't make it to the majors. I'll take a high-floor / low ceiling guy all day over guys who are unlikely to even make it to the majors, no matter how much natural talent they have.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Soto isn't exactly young. Neither is Lutz. They aren't old, but they aren't young. Soto and Lutz shouldn't sniff this top 10. Corner players who at age 23 have multiple questions about their bats?
    I've got to agree for this reason. I don't see either of these guys being good enough to even be on a big league roster for a year plus, and that's a questionable time frame.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I honestly don't see much difference between Rodriguez and fellow bonus baby Juan Duran. Duran was actually quite a bit better than Rodriguez when he went through Dayton as a 19 year old. They are both toolsy physical specimens who have precious few baseball-related skills. They get by on their freakish natural gifts and not much else. The only thing that used to separate them was that Rodriguez was thought to be an up-the-middle player. Now that he is profiling as a corner outfielder, I don't see any difference between them.

All the 'potential' in the world doesn't mean squat if they can't make it to the majors. I'll take a high-floor / low ceiling guy all day over guys who are unlikely to even make it to the majors, no matter how much natural talent they have.
    Yorman struggles to make contact. Compared to Duran, he is Wade Boggs at making contact. Yorman is a good fielder. Duran is a DH who plays the field. Aside from signing in the same year, they aren't really comparable at all.

In the absence of anyone jumping out at me, I made a hunch selection of LaMarre. Don't ask me to defend it...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Seth Mejias-Brean had 2 hr in college, then he hit 8 last year in Billings. He has always had batting practice power that amazed his AZ teammates, but the game power wasn't there because of loft. He's a all around athlete as a basketball/football star in HS. Scouts see him as a C. At 3b his defense needs work, but the arm isn't a question. It looks to me like this is a guy that's going to have the ability to adjust and move quickly. I rank him higher than Vidal, Rahier, Rosa and other 3b in the system, perhaps even Rodriguez, because he's going to be bigger and stronger than most and it appears his plate discipline will not be a problem.

I'll say this, if Yorman has half of what Doug says he has, there could be some fireworks in California this year. Does he have anyone specific as a mentor?

Convincing work Doug... Went with Yorman.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I like Rahier, my guess is he will turn out much the same mold of player Frazier has.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I like Rahier, my guess is he will turn out much the same mold of player Frazier has.
    I don't know if I take him here or not, but he's definitely been lost in the shuffle IMO. He was just as well regarded as Winker was around draft time. Obviously didn't perform as well, but nothing in his numbers really jumps out as "problematic" going forward.

I like Rahier quite a bit, but he's got a long way to go. I think he'll hit well in 2013 with Billings.

If he does, I expect he'll move up quite a bit next off-season in these rankings.

In fact, speaking of next off-season, if Red minor leaguers do as they should, I suspect there will be quite a few within the Top 100 list. Hamilton nor Corcino are ticketed to stick in Cincinnati this season. Cingrani could be there-- or he could pitch in AAA for the entire season. Winker and Stephenson are going to move up should they play in Dayton as they did in Billings. (Hitting like he did in Billings in Dayton might even move Winker into the Top 25; pitching as he did last season will move Stephenson there.)

The only two prospects that may move up this season are Henry Rodriguez and Cingrani. And neither is a lock.

The entire Top Ten could be back in 2014.

When was the last time that happened?
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 01-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

^If there are no major injuries at least^

Turn Off Ads?