Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Whatever became of Ron Oester?

Whatever became of Ron Oester?

Showing my age, he was a favorite of mine when I was a kid--I know at one time he was a Reds coach and considered for the manager spot once or twice...where is he now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Whatever became of Ron Oester?

He burnt bridges after his stint as a minor league instructor. Lot of rumors and outright accusations about problems the team had with him, and when he was fired he went to the media and badmouthed the organization. Not really sure if he was right or not since the minor league system ended up producing much of the team the Reds currently have (even though at the time the Reds were not a good team), but I don't think people appreciated his actions to put it nice.

He still has a job in baseball (as mentioned), but his chances of being a manager were pretty much blown years ago even though he was considered for the job back in 2001 IIRC (another supposed "misunderstanding" happened then too).

I went to a game one night at GABP last season when they honored Barry Larkin after the game. Ron Oester was one of the guests there honoring him. Maybe he's done some bridge burning?

Turn Off Ads?