Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty talking extensions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Jocketty talking extensions

From MLBTR:

The Reds have had preliminary extension talks with some of their arbitration eligible players, Cincinnati general manager Walt Jocketty acknowledged. "Nothing has gotten really serious yet,” the GM said, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. However, the Reds are interested in locking up Mat Latos and Homer Bailey to multiyear contracts.

"We've discussed that," Jocketty said. "We're taking a look to see if it works. If not, we'll go year to year. We'd prefer something long term eventually."
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...xtensions.html
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Re: Jocketty talking extensions

Good. I really hope we lock Latos up to a Cueto-like deal.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Upon reading the thread title I assumed WJ was getting an extension. I mean what else can he do this off season? Locking up Homer long-term makes me think Arroyo is on his walk year.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Upon reading the thread title I assumed WJ was getting an extension. I mean what else can he do this off season? Locking up Homer long-term makes me think Arroyo is on his walk year.
    I think Chapman will be tell the story on whether Arroyo comes back or not. If he turns into a starting pitcher then I don't Bronson back as Leak is cheaper...

If Chapman can't do it then I can see Bronson returning on a one year deal with an option...

The wildcards are the two kids at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I think Chapman will be tell the story on whether Arroyo comes back or not. If he turns into a starting pitcher then I don't Bronson back as Leak is cheaper...

If Chapman can't do it then I can see Bronson returning on a one year deal with an option...

The wildcards are the two kids at AAA.
    I don't think Arroyo is back after next year whether Chapman makes it as a starter or not - it's going to depend on how Leake progresses. If he improves on last season (even in spot starts), Leake takes Arroyo's spot as the "non-hard thrower" in the rotation.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    I don't think Arroyo is back after next year whether Chapman makes it as a starter or not - it's going to depend on how Leake progresses. If he improves on last season (even in spot starts), Leake takes Arroyo's spot as the "non-hard thrower" in the rotation.
    I agree 100%. Also if Bronson's 2013 is as good as his 2012 was he will command a nice chunk of change for his last contract before retirement because as someone stated earlier, pitching is expensive expecially in todays market.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    This. And if not Leake, hopefully Cingrani or Corcino is ready to step in by then. I would not bring Arroyo back in 2014, period. It will be time for one of the younger guys to get that shot.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Upon reading the thread title I assumed WJ was getting an extension.
    I thought he joined Hair Club For Men

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It would be great to lock up both Latos and Homer for the next 5 years or so.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Hope it happens -- I like both Latos and Bailey to have continued success.

I would love to lock up both of them, especially Latos. The open market cost of pitching is too rich for Cincinnati's blood. The good arms already in house need to stay here.

Choo, Arroyo, and Ludwick should be the three starters we let walk in the next two years. Although I'd certainly make a qualifying offer to Choo next season, which he'll likely decline (barring a disastrous year).
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

If (somehow) the Reds are out of it come July, and Arroyo is pitching decently, he'd make a nice piece of trade bait.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If (somehow) the Reds are out of it come July, and Arroyo is pitching decently, he'd make a nice piece of trade bait.
    Sounds like a really bad booby prize to me.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Sounds like a really bad booby prize to me.
    It's like saying I'm ok because my daughter is old enough to make a living as a stripper if I lose my job.

Turn Off Ads?