Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 1/8

Birthdays: 1/8

Reds:

Mike Cameron (39) -Still going at 39. One of Marty Brenneman's favorite people.

Brian Johnson (44) -Played high school basketball with Gary Payton, started at QB for Stanford, and came to the plate 127 times as a backup catcher for the 1999 Reds.

Gene Freese (78) -Came over from the White Sox and had his career year in 1961, just in time to help the Reds win the pennant.

Walker Cooper -Mostly a Cardinal, but on July 6, 1949 as a member of the Reds he drove in ten runs in a game- the only catcher ever to do so.

Others:

Jeff Francoeur (28) -Seems like he should be older...A devout Christian, he has "Joshua 1:9" written on his glove wrist strap.

Jeff Francis (31) -They say almost every player holds some kind of record if you dig deep enough. Jeff is the first Canadian to pitch in a World Series.

Bruce Sutter (59) -First player elected to the HOF without ever starting a game. You could argue that beginning in the late '70s he was the first player to be used the way closers are used nowadays.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 1/8

One other thing I forgot to mention: At different points in his career, Walker Cooper was a teammate of both his brother (Mort Cooper) and his son-in-law (Don Blasingame). In his last year, he said, "When your teammates start asking to marry your daughter, it's time to hang them up".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Jeff Francoeur (28) -Seems like he should be older...A devout Christian, he has "Joshua 1:9" written on his glove wrist strap.
    chico probably wants the curious among us to look up this verse for themselves. I figured that for the uncurious among us I'd quote the verse right here:

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (NIV)

An excellent verse...maybe I will write this on my own glove wrist strap.

Stat geek...and proud

Is there a bible verse for "Thou shoult not swing at pitches 4 inches outside of the strike zone"? That's the one Francoeur should have on his wrist strap.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention: At different points in his career, Walker Cooper was a teammate of both his brother (Mort Cooper) and his son-in-law (Don Blasingame). In his last year, he said, "When your teammates start asking to marry your daughter, it's time to hang them up".
    This is a great quote...very funny!

Turn Off Ads?