Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jocketty talking extensions

Re: Jocketty talking extensions

The NL Central was tightening up between the Cardinals and the Reds when Mesoraco was in the thick of a bad, bad slump. And in the woodwork we were contending for the best record in the NL. I saw it as a no-brainer that when the rookie catcher served his suspension (agree with it or not) that he needed some extra time off. He and the team had equal needs for it, and I believe that Navarro filled that void very efficiently and to the best of any 3rd-string cather's ability. Do not disregard the pedistal that Hanigan has been rightfully placed upon as well. As of now he is critical to the team's success.

Mesoraco should get just as much rope if not more than what he got last season. While most players, especially the young ones, are getting extra batting practice in, Mes is most likely watching film and taking notes on his opponents. Catcher is a big responsibility especially for a young guy.

That .212 BA did include a Grand Salami in 2012

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I know of no metric that would come close to suggesting Mesoraco was within two wins of Hanigan last season.
    I'm willing to listen to your argument but that's an unfair point. Wins are a counting stat, to acquire a counting stat you need to play...something that was not weighted the same between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm willing to listen to your argument but that's an unfair point. Wins are a counting stat, to acquire a counting stat you need to play...something that was not weighted the same between the two.
    If you'd prefer wRC+, Hanigan 87 trumped Mesoraco's 67; however, that leaves out the best parts of Hanigan's game-- defense, pitch framing, and pitch calling-- while (if scouts can be believed) it leaves out Mesoraco's worst parts.

This has been a great offseason so far in bringing Ludwick back for two years, the trade for Shin-Soo Choo, and (hopefully) moving Chapman to the rotation. Signing Latos, and hopefully Bailey, to an extension would really top off this offseason. I really think Latos is about to become one of the elite starting pitchers in all of baseball.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Was hoping this would be about Jay Bruce.....
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Didn't Jay just sign an extension? He's not the one that needs the most attention right now, IMO. Not that I'd mind them locking him up long term, but for the moment he's set up to be here for the same window as everyone else other than Votto, right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    We have Bruce under control for another 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We have Bruce under control for another 5 years.
    I'm sure he was referring to Bruce getting hair extensions.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This has been a great offseason so far in bringing Ludwick back for two years, the trade for Shin-Soo Choo, and (hopefully) moving Chapman to the rotation. Signing Latos, and hopefully Bailey, to an extension would really top off this offseason. I really think Latos is about to become one of the elite starting pitchers in all of baseball.
    Don't forget signing Broxton, which makes moving Chapman to the rotation possible. Yes, it's been a very good offseason. I'm pleased. Only one "minor" move left to be made IMO: that of a left-handed reliever. I would have liked to see us trump the Brewers' offer of $2.25 million for Mike Gonzalez. He would have been worth $2.5 million in my estimation. (Easy for me to spend B-Cast's money. Ha.)

Turn Off Ads?