Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The 1 pt safety......huh!?!?

The 1 pt safety......huh!?!?

In an otherwise boing game (that's been a theme this bowl season), this little gem happened:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...llege-football

It's pretty rare but probably only because PA's are essentially automatic. But with the increase in 2 pt conversations in the modern game, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more.

So, did you see it in real time and id you know what was going on or did it take a little bit to sink in? I was doing a little head scratching but at that point was glad to see anything interesting.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 1 pt safety......huh!?!?

Never seen it before, I guess because retreating into the endzone is such a bad thing to do is why this is so rare, no idea what the KSU guy was thinking.

It works the other way to, if the kicking team somehow goes backwards 100 yards the other team gets a point.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Brad Nessler was the in the TV booth calling both this 1 point safety and the last time it happened in 2004.

The odds on that happening have to be off-the-charts.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Brad Nessler was the in the TV booth calling both this 1 point safety and the last time it happened in 2004.

The odds on that happening have to be off-the-charts.
    In this link there is video of that game between Texas and A & M that had the one point safety. I noticed too that Nessler was the PBP guy for both. None of the announcers had any idea what was going on either. Never heard of that either. New one on me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...73--ncaaf.html
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Completely new to me. I was watching live and noticed that K State took the ball in the endzone after having established possession in the field of play but my first thought (question) was is this is potential touchback giving the ball to Oregon? When nothing happened and they went to break I assumed the answer was no and didn't think anything of it.

Strange play, indeed.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I learned something. Didn't know that rule

I'm still waiting on the botched 100 yard snap resulting in a 1 point safety the other way.

So theoretically a team could lose 6-1 (or I guess any score of 6, 8 or more to 1)???

That 100 yard mis-snap on the extra point/safety would be something to see (and I'm guessing statistically impossible). I once saw a college team have to punt on a 4th and goal form somewhere near midfield. Botched snap on 1st down, resulting in a huge loss, then a holding call, plus a personal foul or something along the way resulted in that LONG 4th and goal.

It reminds me of Flutie's drop kick for some reason:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA7Yp6UrAWI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQMq7JrSv8

Turn Off Ads?