Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotation for the back end of our Rotation

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Re: Rotation for the back end of our Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Im still hoping that Jockety smartens up and keeps chapman in the pen. He will effect ALOT more games as a closer than he would as a starter. Not to mention he keeps Butts in seats all the way until the 9th inning. It seems to me all the baseball players would rather keep him in the pen and its the fans and front office who want to move him.
    If they do move him to starter I hope its towards the end of the season so he doesnt throw too many innings and hurt his arm or get shut down. And him only having 1 reliable pitch doesnt help the situation either
    How could he "effect" so much more when Mike Leake pitched 100 more innings than Aroldis last year? Having your best players on the field as much as possible is fairly obvious, even if he technically appears in less games. A TOR start is much more valuable than a great closer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

we can agree to disagree, I just dont see him turning into what everyone THINKS he is going to turn into. And Id say chapman effected a lot more games last year (in a positive role) than leake did. He isnt going to win 20+ games as a starter. Consistently, that is hard to come by. But to get 40+ saves is easily possible. So that is 20 games(no way he wins 20 but just for ****s and giggles) where he could have a positive impact vs 40+.

And you are still forgetting how hard it is to transition into a MLB starter. Hes never been an MLB starter. He was a starter in Cuba and lets be honest about the talent in Cuba. Granted they do have some good players, but as a whole its like low A ball. Remember how easily he fatigued last year? His arm isnt going to miraculously be able to account for the added workload without any side effects. 70 innings..thats all he could do without getting fatigued.

Im just saying everyone (as in the fans not the players who all have come out publicly saying hes better fit for the bullpen) is looking at this move as hes going to be the next Randy Johnson when in fact if we are trying to make it to the WS this year, maybe a move like this should be SLOWLY made over the course of a few seasons and not all at once.

There's a reason starters make more money than closers, and garner way more in trades. Without question, a top notch starter is worth more than a top closer.

Remember, in spring training last year Chapman was not only the best SP in the Reds camp, but many down there said he was they best they saw in all of AZ. And it's not like this is a one way street. If it doesn't work out he can always go back to the pen. I think it's absoloutely worth the risk to see what kind of starter he can be.
    Sto Pro Veritate

The only reason I hate Chapman becoming a starter is the fact that it has taken so long. We shouldn't have to be worrying about inning limits this year because he should have stayed a starter all along. An adequate closer is much easier to find than a valuable starter. Is there a risk that goes along with him becoming a starter? Sure there is, again its much easier to be a closer than a starter. I think you have to try him in that role. The only question to me is how much and in what ways do they handle his innings limit....

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    we can agree to disagree, I just dont see him turning into what everyone THINKS he is going to turn into. And Id say chapman effected a lot more games last year (in a positive role) than leake did. He isnt going to win 20+ games as a starter. Consistently, that is hard to come by. But to get 40+ saves is easily possible. So that is 20 games(no way he wins 20 but just for ****s and giggles) where he could have a positive impact vs 40+.

And you are still forgetting how hard it is to transition into a MLB starter. Hes never been an MLB starter. He was a starter in Cuba and lets be honest about the talent in Cuba. Granted they do have some good players, but as a whole its like low A ball. Remember how easily he fatigued last year? His arm isnt going to miraculously be able to account for the added workload without any side effects. 70 innings..thats all he could do without getting fatigued.

Im just saying everyone (as in the fans not the players who all have come out publicly saying hes better fit for the bullpen) is looking at this move as hes going to be the next Randy Johnson when in fact if we are trying to make it to the WS this year, maybe a move like this should be SLOWLY made over the course of a few seasons and not all at once.
    Your logic throws out Broxton, if he closes 38/43 like chapman did last year and chap wins 10 games with a 4 era then they are better off than they were last year.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

Turn Off Ads?