Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can RedsZone identify a Pete Rose photo?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Haunted by walks

Can RedsZone identify a Pete Rose photo?

http://storify.com/tbridge/baseball-nerds

Which base is he diving into? Getty Images says it's from Aug. 29, 1975, at Wrigley, but the Reds didn't play the Cubs that day. They played on Aug. 27. Do the RedsZone historians want to solve this?

Pete is diving into 3rd base. With the angle there is no way it is 2nd base. The photographer would have to have been in the outfield. Cameras were not that good back then.

Angle shows diving into 3rd base.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Re: Can RedsZone identify a Pete Rose photo?

While the lack of chalk is odd, I'd concur with the 3B people due to the angle of both the dive and the photograph.

No chalk foul line in the picture, which SHOULD be there. If it were second base, you should be able to see the infield box stands or the dugout, which you can't. I think it has to be third base.

We also can't discount that it could be a combination of photos. Even back in the day there was some creative post-processing that was possible! I say 3rd base, either staged or post-processed.

Or diving back into first after not tagging up. Even then you're still missing the chalk on the foul line...

it is 3rd, the setup shows the ivy in the late summer in full bloom, plus he's in full running mode, if it was 1st his helmet would be on, if it was 2nd the ivy wouldn't be in the shot.

The original image appeared in the SI Sportsman of the Year article (yeah Pete was Sportsman of the year)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...10/4/index.htm

Shot by famous sports photographer Heinz Kluetmeir

He likely was setup against the 3rd base wall, as for the chalk lines they were probably masked out during the development process.

The date issue is typo as the Reds played 25-27 in Chicago that year and that ivy and grass looks at the height of the Chicago as a warm city.

Here's another image that appeared in the article

It has to be third. Looking at his position relative to the angle of the bag, he would have been diving from center-right field, which would put him way outside the baseline even if rounding third. Of course the lack of baselines and any other player in the photo makes me wonder if this was taken during an actual game or if it was done at some other time for a promotional shoot.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

no doubt it's third. That's wrigley field, look at the ivy. If he was diving into second, the camera would have to be in left field IN the field. Plus the ivy isn't along the 1st base line.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Come on guys, that is just Pete at a race track showing off after he hit the tri-fecta.

The base doesn't look like 3rd base, does it? Doesn't it look like the point is facing us, instead of the flat side facing us?

Looks like a photoshop project
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Looks like a photoshop project
    My thoughts exactly.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Or airburshed, given the time period. To me it looks like third--I see it as the flat edge facing the camera with the angle making the corner on the home plate side look like a point. I would say the grass (visible on another version of the picture on the linked site) and the baselines brushed out. Remember, this was the era of the painted caps on traded players' baseball cards.

What's funny is that this is a very common photo. I'm sure I have an article featuring it in an old scrapbook somewhere. I may try to find it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

For our next round, identify the section, row, seat, and planet where this was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For our next round, identify the section, row, seat, and planet where this was taken.

Does he pay for his clothes?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?