Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AL evaluator critique of the Reds

Re: AL evaluator critique of the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This exemplifies why using run differential from season to season is very problematic. Teams change their rosters in the off-season, players get older, rookies and young players break through, and some players fall off in terms of production. And that doesn't even take in account injuries.

I really think we will discover that the Pythag will become less and less useful as we move forward with understanding the game.
    It all depends on what you use it for. It's only useless if it's used to blindly predict things without taking into account roster changes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Yes. And it wasn't even Kool-Aid.
    Always been a pet peeve of mine. It was Flavor-Aid. Had an assignment for business writing about it, and ever since, drives me crazy to see Kool Aid referenced every single time.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Is anyone else tired of the "drinking the Kool-Aid" expression? I actually find it kind of weird when EVERYTHING becomes a comparison to something like Jonestown. Just wondering.
    Is that a Jonestown reference? I always thought it was referring to Woodstock or something where people were telling each other "Don't drink the purple Kool-Aid" because it was laced with a drug that would make you sick.

No?

Anyway, your point is 100 percent correct: "Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a played-out phrase. If the term "jump the shark" hadn't already "jumped the shark" I would say that "drinking the Kool-Aid" had jumped the shark.

Woodstock was "Don't eat the brown acid."

"Jumping the shark came from the TV show, Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Woodstock was "Don't eat the brown acid."

Is it on the same level as "Don't eat yellow snow"?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    What a great origin of phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Is that a Jonestown reference? I always thought it was referring to Woodstock or something where people were telling each other "Don't drink the purple Kool-Aid" because it was laced with a drug that would make you sick.

No?

Anyway, your point is 100 percent correct: "Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a played-out phrase. If the term "jump the shark" hadn't already "jumped the shark" I would say that "drinking the Kool-Aid" had jumped the shark.
    I think an earlier poster cleared this up. In any case, I'm glad so many folks are on the same page with me about the Kool-Aid expression. It's just tired and, in many cases, inappropriate to make an analogy to Jonestown.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Oh, wait...you mean you are not supposed to?

Opps.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Always been a pet peeve of mine. It was Flavor-Aid. Had an assignment for business writing about it, and ever since, drives me crazy to see Kool Aid referenced every single time.
    In the name of Sheldon Cooper word mincing, sometimes the well-known name brand is used because of its familiarity, even though another brand name of the same basic product might axshoeallee be the one you are using. My kids ask for a tylenol, we go get them the Great Value ibuprofen because.........we knew what they meant.

I will remember though, if I ever use the expression (which is doubtful because I'm not a fan of cliches), I'll make sure I say "drinking the FlavorAid," but I'm not gonna correct someone who uses the colloquial expression.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This exemplifies why using run differential from season to season is very problematic. Teams change their rosters in the off-season, players get older, rookies and young players break through, and some players fall off in terms of production. And that doesn't even take in account injuries.

I really think we will discover that the Pythag will become less and less useful as we move forward with understanding the game.
    It already is, you're so behind the times. Its called "actual talent level on the roster." No one can really define what exactly that means and how you objectively arrive at "actual talent level," but that is the heir apparent to pythag.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think an earlier poster cleared this up. In any case, I'm glad so many folks are on the same page with me about the Kool-Aid expression. It's just tired and, in many cases, inappropriate to make an analogy to Jonestown.
    I believe it was the ABC sketch comedy show Fridays that did a Jonestown skit that went:

Person 1 - I'm hot.
    Person 2 - I'm thirsty.
    Person 3 - I want to commit mass suicide.

Then a mock Mr. Kool busts through wall, declares "Oh yeah!", and distributes juice to people who immediately keel over.

Needless to say, I highly approve of inappropriate Jonestown jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thierry
    Watch out where the huskies go.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Is that a real Poncho or a Sears Poncho?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I believe it was the ABC sketch comedy show Fridays that did a Jonestown skit that went:

Person 1 - I'm hot.
    Person 2 - I'm thirsty.
    Person 3 - I want to commit mass suicide.

Then a mock Mr. Kool busts through wall, declares "Oh yeah!", and distributes juice to people who immediately keel over.

Needless to say, I highly approve of inappropriate Jonestown jokes.

Watch out where the huskies go.

That would qualify as a smart inappropriate Jonestown sketch. Quite different, I think, than people just throwing the "drink the Kool-Aid" phrase into every sentence as a way to imply something banal like "I don't agree with the consensus."

Anyway, people can say whatever they want. This particular expression just grates on me, that's all.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I doubt most people are consciously referencing Jonestown when they talk about "drinking the Kool-Aid." There are plenty of colloquialisms that folks don't know the etymology.
    Last edited by Crumbley; 01-10-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I doubt most people are consciously referencing Jonestown when they talk about "drinking the Kool-Aid." There are plenty of colloquialisms that folks don't know the etymology.
    I know. And that makes it double annoying as a form of shorthand.

Turn Off Ads?