Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berkman signs with Rangers for 1yr/$10MM

Berkman signs with Rangers for 1yr/$10MM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-berkman-.html

1yr/$10MM with a $1MM buyout. I mean, dude's not bad at all, but wow that's a lot of money for a part-time player who has trouble staying healthy for those few games.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Ridiculous overpay if you ask me. This years free agent class is absolutely raking teams.

Senor Votto

Re: Berkman signs with Rangers for 1yr/$10MM

I hate seeing deals like this. That is way too much for Berkman but hey it's not my money

Two years ago, Berkman went off for a 164 OPS+. Last year, in only 32 games, he still had a higher OPS+ than anyone on the Red team aside from Votto. As a DH, especially in that park, Berkman will rake.

If he can stay healthy.

He also tightens the Ranger batting order:
    Ian Kinsley 2B
    Elvis Andrus SS
    Adrian Beltre 3B
    Lance Berkman DH/ 1B
    Nelson Cruz RF
    AJ Pierzynski C
    David Murphy LF
    Mike Olt/ Mitch Moreland 1B
    Leonys Martin CF

Or, if they end up signing Michael Bourne (which seems inevitable)
    Bourne CF
    Andrus SS
    Beltre 3B
    Berkman DH
    Cruz RF
    Kinsler 2B
    Pierzynski C
    Murphy LF
    Moreland/ Olt 1B

Two years ago, Berkman went off for a 164 OPS+. Last year, in only 32 games, he still had a higher OPS+ than anyone on the Red team aside from Votto. As a DH, especially in that park, Berkman will rake.

If he can stay healthy.

He also tightens the Ranger batting order:
    Ian Kinsley 2B
    Elvis Andrus SS
    Adrian Beltre 3B
    Lance Berkman DH/ 1B
    Nelson Cruz RF
    AJ Pierzynski C
    David Murphy LF
    Mike Olt/ Mitch Moreland 1B
    Leonys Martin CF

Or, if they end up signing Michael Bourne (which seems inevitable)
    Bourne CF
    Andrus SS
    Beltre 3B
    Berkman DH
    Cruz RF
    Kinsler 2B
    Pierzynski C
    Murphy LF
    Moreland/ Olt 1B

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Berkman's from Central Texas, so it shouldn't have taken much cajoling to get him signed in Arlington. IMO, the Texas teams should have held out for a hometown discount.
    /r/reds

Lance gets to go play back at home in what may be his final year. Good for him. Great player and great guy.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm just glad he's in the American League and away from us ever seeing him except in the playoffs. He used to kill the Reds.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Dammit. Was convinced he would retire, so I cut him from my keeper fantasy league as I had a roster crunch going into my league finals.

If he's healthy, that's probably a bargain. And I assume the Rangers' med staff checked him out.

Let's remember that Kevin Youkilis and his .235/.336/.409 got a 1-year for 12 million+. Now, I realize Youkilis is going to play 3rd base, but Berkman hasn't crapped out a slash line that bad since 1999.
    Stick to your guns.

He's going to rake in that ball park. I really don't understand the "outrage" (if you can call it outrage) because it's just a one year deal. The deals that screw over teams are multi-year deals. For me, I would rather my club overpay for short term 1-2 year deals than overpay for 5-7 year deals. It's how the Cardinals have operated for a couple of years now and it seemed to work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm just glad he's in the American League and away from us ever seeing him except in the playoffs. He used to kill the Reds.
    That was my thought too when I saw this signing. Berkman should be able to stay more healthy being a full time DH.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I hate seeing deals like this. That is way too much for Berkman but hey it's not my money
    I just wonder if we're going to look back at this offseason as a turning point for the kind of money free agents bring in. Each time I see a deal like this, I think Cincinnati is gonna have a harder and harder time getting quality guys from free agency. But maybe it's been headed this way for a while and I've been blind to it because of how well Walt and Co. have been trading/developing.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I just wonder if we're going to look back at this offseason as a turning point for the kind of money free agents bring in. Each time I see a deal like this, I think Cincinnati is gonna have a harder and harder time getting quality guys from free agency. But maybe it's been headed this way for a while and I've been blind to it because of how well Walt and Co. have been trading/developing.
    You really think that Cincy will have a hard time overpaying for one year of service? Again, it's not like the Rangers signed Berkman to a 5 year deal.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    You really think that Cincy will have a hard time overpaying for one year of service? Again, it's not like the Rangers signed Berkman to a 5 year deal.
    It's not just Berkman's that makes me think that.

It's $147 million for Greinke, $75 million for the lesser Upton, $39 million for Victorino, $13 million for maybe a year of Haren, $40 million for Pagan, and so on. Pretty crazy when you think about it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    It's not just Berkman's that makes me think that.

It's $147 million for Greinke, $75 million for the lesser Upton, $39 million for Victorino, $13 million for maybe a year of Haren, $40 million for Pagan, and so on. Pretty crazy when you think about it.
    I really don't mind the Dodgers paying for a mentally weak twerp in Grienke. I've always thought he was overrated. If the Doyers want to overpay and waste money on an average pitcher, that's ok. I would rather be a mid-market team and be smart with their money. Do what the Rays do. It's worked for the Cardinals all these years.

EDIT: As you can tell, I can't stand Grienke. His face is too punchable for my liking.

Turn Off Ads?