Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How important do you think travel time is?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

How important do you think travel time is?

I was reading an unrelated thread on ORG and got to thinking.

The distances between the NL central cities seems like it would be much less, on average, than any other division. With Houston leaving the picture, it's even smaller. The closest I could think of would be AL Central, but I think they have some further trips. Players could drive and make it to most cities in 4-6 hours. (Chapman in 2-3 hours )

During division play in the AL East, you might be heading from Tampa to Toronto if the schedule is unfavorable. In the NL Central, Pittsburgh to Chicago is a nap and a soda.

Does this even matter? It seems to me like it would, even if slightly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How important do you think travel time is?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I was reading an unrelated thread on ORG and got to thinking.

The distances between the NL central cities seems like it would be much less, on average, than any other division. With Houston leaving the picture, it's even smaller. The closest I could think of would be AL Central, but I think they have some further trips. Players could drive and make it to most cities in 4-6 hours. (Chapman in 2-3 hours )

During division play in the AL East, you might be heading from Tampa to Toronto if the schedule is unfavorable. In the NL Central, Pittsburgh to Chicago is a nap and a soda.

Does this even matter? It seems to me like it would, even if slightly.
    When the schedule was released for 2013 fangraphs had a couple of articles about total distance traveled. The Reds had the lowest I believe. I don't remember too much from them, but they seemed to think it was good to travel less. And in the past, the Reds have had issues traveling out west. I know the bengals have too. I would think less travel is a good thing.

I read that topic title 4 times before I realized it didn't say "time travel."

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    I actually had to read it twice right now to make sure I didn't make that mistake.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I actually had to read it twice right now to make sure I didn't make that mistake.
    Same here

must be time for new specs
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I did the EXACT same thing and was gonna make a silly post about needing it to avoid "Judgement Day" a la Terminator series.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I actually saw something awhile back that the S Giants hired someone to help them with issues such as this and things related. Best travel routes, what time of day or night to fly, ect. Trying everything possible to get the right amount of sleep, relaxing, ect.

Count me in on with the 'people who can't read' group, I had to look at it 2-3 times after reading the responses myself!

Travel time is a factor, my thought is that since some people travel better than others I wonder if rotations ever get switched around (or should get switched around) because a certain pitcher has a tendency to get motion/travel sickness? I know people that driving over 3-4 hours wears them out for the rest of the day and others that if they are not the one driving then they get motion sickness fairly easily. I know MLB teams usually fly but this just made me think about it - thanks for bringing it up.

To me, it's not the travel time, but the end Destination. LA, NY, Miami ... all big cities that the players like to get out in. Best example is Miami, too much time was spent "chasing Debbi's" as DatDude likes to call them. The Reds did not play well there, and the Marlins were a bad team. The trips to Milwaukee are fine. Early to bed those nights, unless they are looking for a slumpbuster.

This is a good thread, and I would think the less traveling time the better in terms of recovery.

But if the team could actually travel back in time and re-play games/key situations, they'd have a pretty good look at 162-0, and running the table. I think this is one aspect of the game that has been unfortunately overlooked by management.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post
    This is a good thread, and I would think the less traveling time the better in terms of recovery.

But if the team could actually travel back in time and re-play games/key situations, they'd have a pretty good look at 162-0, and running the table. I think this is one aspect of the game that has been unfortunately overlooked by management.
    How would this affect stamina/injuries? If cueto pitches 9 innings in a loss, is he rested after his delorean ride? Would this technology be possible to have Chapman pitch EVERY inning of the season like he pitched in the 9th last year (oh so many sumersaults)? So many possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    To me, it's not the travel time, but the end Destination. LA, NY, Miami ... all big cities that the players like to get out in. Best example is Miami, too much time was spent "chasing Debbi's" as DatDude likes to call them. The Reds did not play well there, and the Marlins were a bad team. The trips to Milwaukee are fine. Early to bed those nights, unless they are looking for a slumpbuster.
    Good point on the destination, makes sense on one hand.

The flip side is that the minimum wage earners make 10X + on the national average for working America. They should be able to differentiate between work and play (I know some do & most don't) and go to MIA in the off season. It is easy to say and very hard to do but still the players should behave accordingly.

$200/hr X 40 hrs/week X 50 weeks/year = $400,000.00/yr. How many of us get paid $200.00/hr??? How can I get in that club???

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    Good point on the destination, makes sense on one hand.

The flip side is that the minimum wage earners make 10X + on the national average for working America. They should be able to differentiate between work and play (I know some do & most don't) and go to MIA in the off season. It is easy to say and very hard to do but still the players should behave accordingly.

$200/hr X 40 hrs/week X 50 weeks/year = $400,000.00/yr. How many of us get paid $200.00/hr??? How can I get in that club???
    I agree with what you say, but the bolded part is the key. A lot of players either can't or won't. Humans are fallible.

And I would also like to put my name on the waiting list for the $200.00/hr club.

Turn Off Ads?