Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 2013

NHL 2013

I didn't call this the 'official' NHL thread because that seems somewhat pretentious, but hey whatever suits my fellow hockey fan works.

The lockout is finally over!

Bring on a 48 game sprint to the Cup.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NHL 2013

Thank god this thing is over!!! I can't wait until the new season starts. Lets go Blues!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 01-08-2013 at 05:46 AM.

As a Blue Jackets fan, once the AS Game was cancelled, I was rooting for the lockout

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    As a Blue Jackets fan, once the AS Game was cancelled, I was rooting for the lockout
    Booooo

Be a fan of the game first then find a team them is my advice

Go wings!

If there's ever a time that a fluke like C-bus would make the playoffs, the 48 game season is the one to do it. Anything goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    If there's ever a time that a fluke like C-bus would make the playoffs, the 48 game season is the one to do it. Anything goes!
    Pretty much. In all honesty, I like the team this year, the defense should be great.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Pretty much. In all honesty, I like the team this year, the defense should be great.
    There ya go... Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There ya go... Game on!
    Ehh, I live in Columbus so I adoped the Jackets back in 2000 when they began.

Before that I was a Flyers fan, Loved the Legion of Doom line of Lindros/Leclair/Renberg

Should be a great season. Detroit will be interesting to watch what with the old man finally hanging up the skates.

Any potential player cuts will also bear watching, any unexpected roster moves could really change the landscape in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Should be a great season. Detroit will be interesting to watch what with the old man finally hanging up the skates.

Any potential player cuts will also bear watching, any unexpected roster moves could really change the landscape in a hurry.
    Homers hanging em up too

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...etire/1816559/

Big changes in Detroit then. Still, it's Detroit, they probably won't miss a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Big changes in Detroit then. Still, it's Detroit, they probably won't miss a beat.
    I still remember the 70s

So I'm prepared for a drop

What are everyone's predictions? Here are mine:

Western Conference:

1. St. Louis
    2. Vancouver
    3. Kings
    4. Minnesota
    5. Chicago
    6. Nashville
    7. Detroit
    8. Phoenix

Eastern Conference:

1. Pittsburgh
    2. Boston
    3. Tampa Bay
    4. NY
    5. Philadelphia
    6. Florida
    7. Ottawa
    8. Washington

I see a Blues vs. Rangers Stanley Cup Final. Though it is sort of a homer pick on my part, the Blues are legit and there aren't any real weaknesses on the team. They added firepower by adding Vladimir Tarasenko making them 3 lines deep. I also feel that in this short lockout season, teams that have great goalie tandems are going to go far due to the ton of back to back games. Halak and Elliot were the best goalie tandem last year and I see that continuing. They're thin on the defense though as far as depth goes. If there is an injury to one of the defensive players, there will be a drop off in talent.

Speaking of defense, I have a feeling that Detroit is really going to suffer this year in that area. I still think they'll make the playoffs but I wouldn't be shocked if teams are scoring a ton on Detroit this year.

I still have some concerns about the Blues. The Halak/Elliot combo was fantastic last year, but how repeatable was it? The two of them, especially Elliot, do not have dominant track records. I think the approach of giving both lots of rest was very beneficial, but it's hard to project them having the same calibre season as last IMO. I could see the Blues falling closer to the pack, but are still a strong playoff team.

With a 48 game season, there are going to be some big surprises. At least a few playoff calibre teams will probably not get into the playoffs. As a Hawk fan, I'm fearful of our division Mike and WOY, I think with us beating up on each other in such a short amount of games, one of Nashville, Detroit, Chicago, or St Louis probably wont get in, even though I'm fairly confident in saying we are all top 8 teams. Nashville probably the weakest without Weber, but it seems like they always find a way....

The thing about the Blues is that they have an epic defense. They allowed the fewest shots on goal per game last year and it went a long way as to why the Halak/Elliot combo was so successful. For example, I was at a game where the Blues defeated the Avs and the Blues only allowed Elliot to see 15 shots on goal the entire game. He got the shutout.

If I were to guess which team won't make it in out of the central (of whom made it last year), I have a feeling Detroit might end their streak. I put them on my standings list out of respect but I see a ton of regression from that defense.

Turn Off Ads?