Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 2013

Re: NHL 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    This has been a crazy NHL year. The Maple Leafs and Islanders both are playoff bound. The Wings might not make it in. It's aliens... blame it all on aliens.
    Got to imagine the Flyers, Devils and Preds are in shock at the moment. The Lightning and Hurricanes also thought this was going to be a season where they took big leaps forward. And the Coyotes may have just slumped their way out of Arizona (though I would classify that as a good thing).

And next year is going to be real interesting. Detroit and Columbus are going to be in fierce divisions. The playoff fight is only going to get more intense for those teams. The Blue Jackets are going to be in a mix where all seven other clubs have serious designs on making the playoffs, and they've got superstar talent to get them there.
    Last edited by M2; 04-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Got to imagine the Flyers, Devils and Preds are in shock at the moment.
    The Predators definitely made the right buy-or-sell call at the trade deadline, although I had no idea the bottom was that close to falling out. Pretty rag-tag bunch they've been sending out there lately. Too many injuries and too little firepower for a team that never did have a big margin for error.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Got to imagine the Flyers, Devils and Preds are in shock at the moment. The Lightning and Hurricanes also thought this was going to be a season where they took big leaps forward. And the Coyotes may have just slumped their way out of Arizona (though I would classify that as a good thing).

And next year is going to be real interesting. Detroit and Columbus are going to be in fierce divisions. The playoff fight is only going to get more intense for those teams. The Blue Jackets are going to be in a mix where all seven other clubs have serious designs on making the playoffs, and they've got superstar talent to get them there.
    I'm kind of sad that St. Louis will no longer have a major rival with Detroit anymore. That thing was a classic matchup for 30+ years. Chicago losing Detroit as a chief rival is also really sad.

It's going to be interesting what they do with the Western Conference in the next couple of years. Because there are going to be 14 teams there, I wouldn't be shocked if two more teams are added in the conference. I could easily see a team going to Seattle and a team going to Milwaukee or Kansas City.

I'm kind of sad that St. Louis will no longer have a major rival with Detroit anymore. That thing was a classic matchup for 30+ years. Chicago losing Detroit as a chief rival is also really sad.

It's going to be interesting what they do with the Western Conference in the next couple of years. Because there are going to be 14 teams there, I wouldn't be shocked if two more teams are added in the conference. I could easily see a team going to Seattle and a team going to Milwaukee or Kansas City.
    Portland is a bigger Hockey town than Seattle, and the Blazers need a co-tenant

KC had the Scouts, they failed.. end of the line boys

Red Wings fans don't seem to be carrying that same torch. They miss the Maple Leafs and they seem really enthusiastic about gaining Montreal and Boston as direct rivals. At least that's the impression I get.

No offense to the Blues, but they haven't seen a Stanley Cup matchup since 1970 and they've only been to the conference finals twice since. That franchise needs to up its profile before it can claim a truly meaningful rivalry. To its credit, it's moving in the right direction these days.

Much as the NHL doesn't need to thin out its already thinned out talent, two more teams in the west looks inevitable. It's really three because Phoenix has to move at some point. Seattle and Kansas City look like the first choices. I've always thought the NHL should trade its Nashville franchise to the NBA for Milwaukee.

Anyway, expansion is great for the existing teams in the conference as it's roughly five years of two soft opponents.

Red Wings fans don't seem to be carrying that same torch. They miss the Maple Leafs and they seem really enthusiastic about gaining Montreal and Boston as direct rivals. At least that's the impression I get.

No offense to the Blues, but they haven't seen a Stanley Cup matchup since 1970 and they've only been to the conference finals twice since. That franchise needs to up its profile before it can claim a truly meaningful rivalry. To its credit, it's moving in the right direction these days.

Much as the NHL doesn't need to thin out its already thinned out talent, two more teams in the west looks inevitable. It's really three because Phoenix has to move at some point. Seattle and Kansas City look like the first choices. I've always thought the NHL should trade its Nashville franchise to the NBA for Milwaukee.

Anyway, expansion is great for the existing teams in the conference as it's roughly five years of two soft opponents.
    Red Wing fans will miss The Hawks for sure, but Toronto and Montreal will more make up for that loss.

The Wings will play less during my watching time and for that I am sad... but I don't feel bad about losing any of the rivalries and since The Aves got crappy there has been very little to get excited about when it came to blood battles

As a Hawks fan I will miss the rivalry with Detroit. The Wings are good for lots of other Midwestern towns though. I know Nashville hated Detroit more than anyone else [though they did us Hawks fans because we 'took over the whole damn town'] I know Columbus was the same way though they lacked enough oven moderate success to register on the Wings radar even.

Still being the last O6 team in the West will be different, yet the new division should be wide open some years and prime for a team to own it for a while if the talent is there and I think the Hawks can certainly contend for that division [or conference rather] year in and year out. With Detroit there were years we were playing for second place at best.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The Rangers just punched their playoff ticket with an OT win. Ryan Callahan (who else?) put them through. For a while there I thought they might leave it to the last day of the season.

And I'm loving Derick Brassard. He's delivered nearly a point per game (11 pts. in 12 games) since he arrived. John Moore has 5 pts. and a +7 too.

Congrats M2. Rangers were a much more deserving playoff team than the Jets. But at same time would have been more fun living in Canada with the Jets in.

Always liked Brassard with the Jackets. Never understood why things didn't work out for him there. Had lots of talent, and lots of the time given opportunity with the Jackets, often even playing point on their PP. Might really be an example of being miscoached.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

How about Erik Karlsson coming back with a solid game? I can't say I saw him coming back this season after that injury.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Columbus won 3-1
    Detroit won 5-2 (Thanks Nashville, for benching Rinne)

Onto Game 48

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Portland is a bigger Hockey town than Seattle, and the Blazers need a co-tenant

KC had the Scouts, they failed.. end of the line boys
    KC's arena situation was awful and I don't know if going by what a team did in the 70's has any bearing on today's NHL. The Sprint Center is one of the most beautiful new arena's in the league and I would think the NHL would target a place that is NHL ready in terms of stadiums if they're looking to expand.

They had a streak in there where they made the playoffs 25 straight years and have been to the playoffs more times than they haven't in their history. They've also meet up with Detroit a lot. Yes, it's true that they haven't been to the Stanley Cup finals since 1970 but they have been a rival with Detroit for 30+ years because the Blues have always been in playoff contention outside of the 5 or so year stint after the lockout.

I know the way realignment is set it leaves the West with open spots, but the next franchise relocation/expansion really should be in Quebec City. Like Winnipeg, they never deserved to have their team taken away and while it is a small market, you can guarantee that there will be 15000+ in the seats every home game.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

They had a streak in there where they made the playoffs 25 straight years and have been to the playoffs more times than they haven't in their history. They've also meet up with Detroit a lot. Yes, it's true that they haven't been to the Stanley Cup finals since 1970 but they have been a rival with Detroit for 30+ years because the Blues have always been in playoff contention outside of the 5 or so year stint after the lockout.
    I appreciate that they're a proud, established franchise, though you can't put too much stock in playoff runs that went through the 1980s, just because it was extremely difficult to miss the playoffs in that decade.

That said, the Blues are a lot like the Rangers. They've had good runs, but rarely been among the league's elite. What the Rangers have going for them is they play in the most massive media market in the U.S. It exaggerates their quality when they have some quality. It also heightens the rivalry factor with other teams in the east. They punch above their weight.

So I'm completely sympathetic when it comes to following a team that's routinely thisclose to having a run where it makes a few Stanley Cups and gets recognized as one of the top teams in the NHL. Our teams are more often chasing our rivals than the other way around.

One thing that's really interesting about the Blues is the coaches who've gone on to win it all after their time in St. Louis - Scott Bowman, Al Arbour, Jacques Demers, Joel Quenneville. Red Berenson also became one of the great college coaches in the U.S. after the Blues dumped him.

Somebody ought to pounce on Davis Payne.

The Blue also have a lot of money to spend this summer. Got to believe they'll be after a franchise center.

Turn Off Ads?