Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No one to the hall this year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No one to the hall this year

Per seg...

Re: No one to the hall this year

Just popped up on my ESPN iPad app. What a shame Jack Morris and several others.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Lame

BUT....I also don't want tweeners getting in because someone felt the need to vote for someone because their arms were tired from dragging around their soapbox the last 60 days.

Not sure how Piazza didn't get it.

Maddux, Glavine and Frank Thomas next year.

Im guessing next year will be Maddux, Glavine and Biggio.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

12% for Sosa-really? That definitely seems really low.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Pure roids suspicion. Interestingly, there really isn't any credible evidence or serious allegation against him. It's just widespread assumption that he juiced. He's guilty until proven innocent.

Mind you, even if Sosa was 100% clean, Larry Walker was better, and that doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it should.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He'll never get in

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He'll never get in
    He won't know the difference anyway...the guy barely speaks any English.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maddux, Glavine and Frank Thomas next year.

Im guessing next year will be Maddux, Glavine and Biggio.
    Thomas is a first ballot guy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Thomas is a first ballot guy to me.
    Thomas will get in one day no doubt but my gut tells me that because he was predominately a DH, the voters will hold it against him the first time around.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Thomas will get in one day no doubt but my gut tells me that because he was predominately a DH, the voters will hold it against him the first time around.
    I understand that sentiment. I'm leaning towards him getting in, he certainly would on my ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    bacne
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Amen.

That's absurd. While everybody acknowledges he was the greatest hitting catcher ever, he was penalized for being 1) a poor defensive catcher, and 2) suspected of using PEDs.

As for 1): Yes, he had difficulties in throwing out baserunners. Yet, his catcher's ERA was typically excellent. And lest you dismiss that metric, more sophisticated studies have recently rated him as one of the best ever at blocking pitches and, most significantly, No. 3 all-time in handling pitchers. So his defense, in fact, was actually a positive.

Regarding 2): He never tested positive and wasn't named in the Mitchell Report. Critics are of course entitled to suspect him nevertheless, but to me that suspicion is not nearly enough to indict. That's tantamount to declaring him guilty until proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Amen.

That's absurd. While everybody acknowledges he was the greatest hitting catcher ever, he was penalized for being 1) a poor defensive catcher, and 2) suspected of using PEDs.

As for 1): Yes, he had difficulties in throwing out baserunners. Yet, his catcher's ERA was typically excellent. And lest you dismiss that metric, more sophisticated studies have recently rated him as one of the best ever at blocking pitches and, most significantly, No. 3 all-time in handling pitchers. So his defense, in fact, was actually a positive.

Regarding 2): He never tested positive and wasn't named in the Mitchell Report. Critics are of course entitled to suspect him nevertheless, but to me that suspicion is not nearly enough to indict. That's tantamount to declaring him guilty until proven innocent.
    Those Dodger and Met teams had some very good pitching on them. Now sure some guys drafted in the 62nd round have careers so spectacular to warrant HOF consideration... wait, that almost never happens.

I watched Piazza, grew up watching him. I'm a few months older than him in fact. He was really a bad catcher defensively, and played for teams with stellar pitching. With the bat, no doubt he was a force, though his numbers dropped significantly after 2002. And that actually lends credence to him not being a PED user. or if he was, he certainly saw the writing on the wall and quit. But as i said, i don't care if he did. My eyes say he was a bad defensive catcher and most HOF voters probably agree with that. If we are going by his bat alone, Edgar Martinez says hi.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?