Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hall of Fame Class 2013

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Hall of Fame Class 2013

Nobody.

Before we even talk about the steroid guys I believe Biggio and Raines have to be Hall of Famers, and I don't really have a problem adding Jack Morris. But Nobody. Really, nobody?!?
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hall of Fame Class 2013

i heard Aaron Sele got a vote
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Weak sauce in my book. If you've got the numbers, you should be in. Cooperstown is there to document the history of baseball and Bonds/Clemens (minimal) are a huge part of that history regardless of whether or not they were dirty. What's the plan? Let the BBWA stick our heads in the sand and pretend those years don't exist?

Anyone who cares enough to visit the HOF knows the score anyway. Why not let them make up their own mind?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

My thought is if you're talking about the HOF and you're asked if someone is worthy or not, and you have to think about it, then no they aren't. Biggio yes, Tim Raines no.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    My thought is if you're talking about the HOF and you're asked if someone is worthy or not, and you have to think about it, then no they aren't. Biggio yes, Tim Raines no.
    See I don't have to think about Raines. One of the top 3 leadoff hitters of all-time (Henderson and Biggio being the other two). Good defensively, great on the bases, he was hurt by being an Expo for so long. Tim was clearly a great star; unfortunately for him, he was outshined by Ricky for the vast majority of his career.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    See I don't have to think about Raines. One of the top 3 leadoff hitters of all-time (Henderson and Biggio being the other two). Good defensively, great on the bases, he was hurt by being an Expo for so long. Tim was clearly a great star; unfortunately for him, he was outshined by Ricky for the vast majority of his career.
    Like most of these guys I guess it's who you ask...to me I wouldn't vote for him. Great player and all, but like you said, probly was overshadowed by Henderson.

Nobody.

Before we even talk about the steroid guys I believe Biggio and Raines have to be Hall of Famers, and I don't really have a problem adding Jack Morris. But Nobody. Really, nobody?!?
    Are we sure Biggio was clean? He got noticeably bigger throughout his career. Honestly, do we really know anyone was clean?

No way Biggio is a top three leadoff hitter all-time. That means you'd put him ahead of guys like Lou Brock and Ichiro?

And what about Pete Rose? He was a decent leadoff hitter, no?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    No way Biggio is a top three leadoff hitter all-time. That means you'd put him ahead of guys like Lou Brock and Ichiro?

And what about Pete Rose? He was a decent leadoff hitter, no?
    I forget about Ichiro (just don't really like the guy) and he is pretty good. I'll take Biggio over Brock any day (Brock led the league seven times in caught stealing and his SB% isn't that great). Rose is actually the second best leadoff hitter of all-time behind Ricky.

Back to my point, Raines was the second best of his era (Rose's best years were behind him), and to say the fact that Ricky overshadowed him should prevent him from being in the HOF is like saying that since Clemens overshadowed Pedro and Maddox that they shouldn't be in. Not being the very best at your position doesn't mean your not a Hall of Famer; Thurmon Munson is a HOFer (Bench was better), Duke Snider is a HOFer and he was the third best CF in his city for much of his career. This is all my opinion, of course, and unless a lot of writers change their minds I will ultimately be wrong because Rock doesn't appear to be a likely HOFer. He will join Concepcion as two of the more egregious snubs.

Turn Off Ads?