Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BA Chat

Re: BA Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed, but the thing is with the Reds, there has been good reason for the "intoxication" in the past:

Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, Devin Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Mike Leake, Billy Hamilton, Brad Boxberger, Yonder Alonso, Yasmani Grandal and Robert Stephenson are all guys that were taken in the top 100 in years past, and proved (usually quickly) that they were taken with good reason.

It is both sobering and realistic to realize that's not going to happen every year, although it is a bit harsh/abrupt for it to come to a dead stop with the Reds through 4 guys taken all in the same year.
    This is so hyperbolic and totally not based in fact at all. Hamilton was a mess his first season. He showed terrible plate discipline and hit .205 in the gulf coast league. Mesoraco hit .219, got called fat, showed zero power, and his OPS beat out Rahier by all of .003 points. Stephenson didn't even pitch in his draft year. Homer threw 12 innings that weren't anymore impressive than what Travieso did. If anything, Winker is the giant exception to this rule, but somehow you've written him off too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    This is so hyperbolic and totally not based in fact at all. Hamilton was a mess his first season. He showed terrible plate discipline and hit .205 in the gulf coast league. Mesoraco hit .219, got called fat, showed zero power, and his OPS beat out Rahier by all of .003 points. Stephenson didn't even pitch in his draft year. Homer threw 12 innings that weren't anymore impressive than what Travieso did. If anything, Winker is the giant exception to this rule, but somehow you've written him off too.
    I said Hamilton and Mez were two guys that didn't get it right away, but did within 2 years.

The other guys you mentioned (Bailey, Stephenson, etc.) were all Top 200 prospects, regardless of what their on-field performance was. Ditto for Bruce, Leake, Alonso, Grandal, Frazier, etc.

I'm not making any snap judgments about Travieso, Winker (who I'm high on), Gelalich (who I'm not) or Rahier at this time. I'm just pointing out that BA isn't all that high on them based off of their comments, and if anything BA has historically fawned over recent draftees, including Reds draftees.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I said Hamilton and Mez were two guys that didn't get it right away, but did within 2 years.

The other guys you mentioned (Bailey, Stephenson, etc.) were all Top 200 prospects, regardless of what their on-field performance was. Ditto for Bruce, Leake, Alonso, Grandal, Frazier, etc.

I'm not making any snap judgments about Travieso, Winker (who I'm high on), Gelalich or Rahier at this time. I'm just pointing out that BA isn't all that high on them based off of their comments, and BA has historically fawned over (if anything) recent draftees, including Reds draftees.
    I guess I just don't put too much stock in the top 200. It becomes guesswork and loosely substantiated rumors at that point IMO, especially for kids that practically went straight from high school science class to Arizona. Obviously the Reds were high on these guys, so I think some reserved judgement is warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I guess I just don't put too much stock in the top 200. It becomes guesswork and loosely substantiated rumors at that point IMO, especially for kids that practically went straight from high school science class to Arizona. Obviously the Reds were high on these guys, so I think some reserved judgement is warranted.
    Agreed. Just an observation about BA's thinking, which is the subject of this thread.
    Go BLUE!!!

This is from the BA Reds Draft Report Card (October 22):

Quick Take
    The Reds put a premium on finding bats going into the draft but couldn't pass up Travieso. Then they landed potential impact position players in Winker, Gelalich, Mejias-Brean and Peterson.

That sounds like they really liked the Reds draft.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    This is from the BA Reds Draft Report Card (October 22):

Quick Take
    The Reds put a premium on finding bats going into the draft but couldn't pass up Travieso. Then they landed potential impact position players in Winker, Gelalich, Mejias-Brean and Peterson.

That sounds like they really liked the Reds draft.
    I agree that's what it sounds like then, it's just strange how much they seemed to bag the draft this week. Other than Winker, the other three obviously didn't dazzle with their debuts, but BA has had no problem overlooking that in the past. Maybe its the fact that Gelalich looked lost as a college hitter in the Pioneer league, and/or Travieso was regarded by some as an overdraft, and/or Rahier's struggles conjured bad memories of what last year's 2nd round draftee (and fellow HS 3B) Gabriel Rosa did last year (and continued with this year). Whatever it is, it is just suprising to me that BA had somewhat harsh descriptions of each player, and outright stated that it didn't envision any of them would make their Top 200 list.

Hopefully BA proves wrong. I for one think Winker has a ton of promise. And the only guy I'm down on is Gelalich (he reminds me a bit of LaMarre in terms of his low ceiling), but even he has plenty of time to turn things around.

Travieso is a guy we'll have to see on. I didn't love the pick at the time (the two guys I wanted were Courtney Hawkins taken one pick earlier and Lucas Gioloto taken two picks later) but I didn't hate it either. I always like HS guys with upside, so we'll just have to see. This regime has certainly earned a bunch of leeway, so far be it for me to criticize at least until we see how these guys pan out over the next year or two.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-10-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Wait a minute. Is there confusion here, or is Brandon Dailey working out as a catcher?

If so, I like. Maybe.
    Heads up B played catcher a lot on the Ontario Championship Team he played on with my son for two years.(Back to Back titles) It'll wreck his speed though eventually.

Turn Off Ads?