Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: Bengals vs. Houston (Rematch) Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    You aren't going to win playoff games with the Lawfirm at RB.
    I seem to remember the Patriots winning a playoff game or two with the Law Firm.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

The other thing to address is how awful the line can be, love the run blocking but this line can't pass protect worth a squat. If there is a Center in this draft worth spending a pick on I would look that way.
    According to Pro Football Focus, Dalton "faced pressure on only 25.7% of plays — fourth-lowest of 38 qualifying quarterbacks"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...afc-wild-card/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sanu is a big athletic receiver while Marvin is a speedster. Both are 6'2". What more do you want at WR? What the WRs need is a home run threat at RB. WE need to find a speed guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield and make people miss. This will take the pressure off guys like Jones and Gresham. Green will always be the #1 priority of any D coordinator. I've never seen a west coast offense work without a dump off option at RB
    Guys that catch the ball are kind of important. Didn't Sanu have a foot injury? I wouldn't count on a receiver coming back from that. I mentioned another threat, besides Green. I didn't exclusively say WR. I'd take a home run hitter at RB as well.

You aren't going to win playoff games with the Lawfirm at RB. You need someone with burst that can break one loose. A RB in the first three rounds would be nice, but this yr is a bit weaker than last. I really think the Bengals are set at WR, with Jones and Sanu.

The other thing to address is how awful the line can be, love the run blocking but this line can't pass protect worth a squat. If there is a Center in this draft worth spending a pick on I would look that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I seem to remember the Patriots winning a playoff game or two with the Law Firm.

I laughed when I read that opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The Patriots also didn't make the Law Firm the focal point either of their offense either. Their offense is geared around the pass 75% of the time, and Stevan Ridley made some plays later on in the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Does anyone else find it odd that people are calling Gresham a disappointment? The guy's a Pro Bowler for crying out loud. That's pretty difficult to find in a balanced tight end.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Guys that catch the ball are kind of important. Didn't Sanu have a foot injury? I wouldn't count on a receiver coming back from that. I mentioned another threat, besides Green. I didn't exclusively say WR. I'd take a home run hitter at RB as well.
    A good read on the Sanu injury. We are talking a stress fracture he will be fine. If the injury had occurred earlier in the season he would have been around in the playoffs.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/12/1...d-sanus-injury

I echo the sentiments of some of the others. The Bengals have been limited on offense since Sanu was lost. Opposing teams have been able to cover AJ Green with double teams since then. Green still put up nice numbers and he was targeted a ridiculous 18 times against Pittsburgh. But the other guys just didn't hurt opponents enough.

The Bengals need their own Ray Rice. The guy I want badly is Giovani Bernard. He is currently projected as an early second round guy. Great in space, explosive, great hands, a good change of pace, that can be developed into the main guy in the future.

Jermaine Gresham has the yips. It is in his head. He still winds up in the Pro Bowl. Because lets face it, there are only about 10 good TEs in the NFL. He is one of them. Get his head straight in the offseason. Orson Charles showed flashes as a rookie.

The offensive line is fine, Andre Smith MUST be resigned. He is the top graded RT in the NFL according to ProFootballFocus.com. He can not be allowed to walk. I would like to see a center brought in. The top rated centers in this years draft are currently projected as third rounders led by the guys from Wisconsin, and Southern Cal, I forget names.

Michael Johnson is the other priority FA to be resigned. If they allow him to walk they must draft a DE high. Those picks must be used on the linebacker and safety positions. The Bengals have interior guys to spare. They don't have extra edge rushers. Gotta keep your own.

Ray Maualuga must go. He can't do anything in pass defense. He had questionable speed coming out of the draft, and he has lost a step since then. This team needs 2-3 outside linebackers, I suspect they sign Aaron Curry in the next few days. That was the speculation about three weeks ago, when they brought him in for a workout. He is a prototypical Bengal pickup. I love the Georgia Linebackers, Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree. Jones would have to slide because of injury concerns. Ogletree, strikes me as the guy the Bengals crave in pass defense. Plus they are from Georgia.

This team needs two safeties, and to resign one of Newman/Jones. I like Matt Elam from Florida for the Bengals a lot. Gotta upgrade the backend of the defense. They had the oldest secondary in the NFL. Between the linebackers and the safeties, the Bengals can not cover TEs.

My priorities for the offseason
    Resign Michael Johnson and Andre Smith. Fix the linebacker and safety positions in the draft and free agency. Bring in a speedy running back with pass catching ability. Add a center.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Patriots also didn't make the Law Firm the focal point either of their offense either. Their offense is geared around the pass 75% of the time, and Stevan Ridley made some plays later on in the season.
    I don't get to watch many Bengals games, but, if BJGE is the focal point of the their offense, what the heck are they thinking? I mean, they have a talented young QB, one of the best WRs in the game, a pretty good TE, and I'm sure plenty of players I don't know about, and the focal point of their offense is primarily a very good short yardage RB?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Does anyone else find it odd that people are calling Gresham a disappointment? The guy's a Pro Bowler for crying out loud. That's pretty difficult to find in a balanced tight end.
    Football Outsider's has Gresham as the 17th best TE in football in 2012 after having him 31st in 2011. Pro Football Focus has him as their lowest rated TE this year.

Gresham really hurt his rep in the playoff game yesterday. That turrible drop set the tone for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Gresham really hurt his rep in the playoff game yesterday. That turrible drop set the tone for the rest of the game.
    I haven't seen many Bengals games on tv because I'm in Browns territory, but it seems Gresham has had the drops all season. It's disconcerting considering he was a Pro Bowler.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I haven't heard any reports that his injury is career threatening. A foot injury is more dicey on a 350 lb lineman like Andre Smith and he's come back so well from it that he may have priced himself out of Cincinnati. I didn't see our WRs dropping balls yesterday and the balls Gresham dropped were either thrown poorly or heavily contested. If Gresham was covered like Owen Daniels was yesterday, he'd have had 100 yards

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He is a Pro Bowler on potential only. It's kind of like Bryce Harper making the All-Star team after his first half. It's a joke. He is not above average, let alone a Pro Bowler.

Everyone drools over his body/potential, but at a certain point you have to start producing. Gresham hasn't. One game in his career with 100 yards receiving. He is Marcedes Lewis. I don't think anyone drools over Marcedes Lewis anymore, despite his first round pedigree. I'd rather have Heath Miller, let alone the other guys (that were drafted after him) in his draft class like Graham, Gronk, Hernandez et al.
    Go BLUE!!!

Gresham is the best TE the Bengals have had since what, Rodney Holman? Doesn't make him great though.

A lot of us sucking at the teet of hope right now for this franchise, but honestly the milks pretty bitter and I'm not sure I've got another season in me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Gresham is the best TE the Bengals have had since what, Rodney Holman? Doesn't make him great though.

A lot of us sucking at the teet of hope right now for this franchise, but honestly the milks pretty bitter and I'm not sure I've got another season in me.
    I feel the same way but you know we'll be back ready to talk some Bengals by the time training camp rolls around...

just like Charlie Brown couldn't resist giving it one more go to kick that damn football.

Turn Off Ads?