Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Will the Bengals sign someone with talent or will they continue to kick the can down the street in free agency? One or two impact players could make a huge difference. I hope they go for it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Will the Bengals sign someone with talent or will they continue to kick the can down the street in free agency? One or two impact players could make a huge difference. I hope they go for it.

Don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

Don't hold your breath.
    Oh, I won't.

Driving 55mph in the slow lane while other cars zip on by! It's so fitting that the Bengals are located in Cincinnati, the city known to be well behind the times. Is it true Mikey Boy still uses dial-up for internet to save a few bucks? I kid, I kid, but it would be nice if he/they actually signed a good safety, lineman, wide receive......anything really.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Geno and AJ both are going to get top 3 contracts at there position, that's going to eat up a ton of cap space. Doubt you will see any major signings, though they were in on Reggie Bush late.

We will find out all we need to know based on whether or not they reup Andre Smith. The market for Smith has dried up from everything I have read online making him more reasonable than I thought.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Please don't turn over any cars and torch them:

Maualuga resigned, deal is for two years at $6.5 million per Reedy.

Personally I will take it if he is moved to SAM if not very bad deal.

If they are able to resign Geno, AJ, Dunlap and Johnson to long term deals, plus potentially Daalton (if deemed worthy) by the end of next season, I'm not the least bit concerned w/ who they sign on the Free Agent market. The core of the last 2 playoff teams is very young and is going to be making a ton of money in the next year or two.

I would have loved to see a game changing line backer or safety, but I'm not sure either exists in free agency this year, and if they did I'm not sure if they'd be worth the money they'd command vs a cheaper replacement.

I am no Maualuga fan. However, I think people are getting a little sideways about this resigning. I think people have visions of him being a three down linebacker, like he was forced to be this season. If the Bengals were to grab an Alec Ogletree for example, Maualuga would come off the field during nickel and dime packages. I think this would be the case if ANY competent linebacker with at least decent speed is brought in. Rey is fine as an in the box downhill Mike.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I am no Maualuga fan. However, I think people are getting a little sideways about this resigning. I think people have visions of him being a three down linebacker, like he was forced to be this season. If the Bengals were to grab an Alec Ogletree for example, Maualuga would come off the field during nickel and dime packages. I think this would be the case if ANY competent linebacker with at least decent speed is brought in. Rey is fine as an in the box downhill Mike.
    I think people are also upset because Marvin said that he saw no reason to change the way Maualgua was used.

https://twitter.com/joereedy/status/313737080360550400

I was listening to a podcast of Lance McAllister and he said that Rey put on weight coming into the season because of a move to MLB and then cut weight when he was too slow. In the beginning of the season Rey was fat and slow. He was being out run when he had the angle. When he cut weight and until the playoff game I thought Rey played well. When he was forced to cover a back out of the backfield or a TE he was exposed.

He isn't an every down backer. If they would put him on the outside and use him as someone who reacts instead of thinking too hard he can be an asset. In today's game where TE's are becoming bigger, faster, stronger, and more of a focus on offense you need a guy who is able to cover. That is not Rey.

I haven't been following this all that closely BUT with all that cap room did the Bengals snag any quality free agents? The lack of posts in this thread probably answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I haven't been following this all that closely BUT with all that cap room did the Bengals snag any quality free agents? The lack of posts in this thread probably answer that question.

28.9 million under the cap:

10 million of that rolled into 2014 for extensions to Green, Dalton , and perhaps Dunlap. Green will break the bank folks, probably around 15 million per season.

7-9 million are put in the rookie pool to sign all the new picks or undrafted FA's.

So basically out of that number you have 10 million dollars left, with the majority of that going towards resigning Smith and Newman.

It sounds big at first glance but when you have a young and talented team it shrinks down quick.

Cap numbers provided by CincyJungle: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/3/27...13-nfl-bengals

I'm not trying to defend their consistent indifference to free agency, but you also have to factor in a potential long term deal for Geno, too. I think we'd all agree he's someone they must find a way to keep (similar to A.J. next year).

Also, while his franchise money has already been counted against this year's cap, you have the possibility of a LTC with Michael Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    28.9 million under the cap:

10 million of that rolled into 2014 for extensions to Green, Dalton , and perhaps Dunlap. Green will break the bank folks, probably around 15 million per season.

7-9 million are put in the rookie pool to sign all the new picks or undrafted FA's.

So basically out of that number you have 10 million dollars left, with the majority of that going towards resigning Smith and Newman.

It sounds big at first glance but when you have a young and talented team it shrinks down quick.

Cap numbers provided by CincyJungle: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/3/27...13-nfl-bengals
    Thanks Hobspin.

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Thanks Hobspin.
    The numbers were provided by someone other than Hobson, snarkzilla. Reedy and others have been singing the same tune as well for months, yet folks continue to ignore it. Personally I would love for the Bengals to go out and sign a Huff or a Dummerville but with extensions looming for AJ Green, Atkins, Dalton, Dunlap and possibly Smith I don't see how it is possible to fit another superstar under the cap when you have good young players on your team to sign long term. Now if the Bengals punt on the extensions I will be right along the side of you with pitch forks and torches ready to raid Mike Brown's castle.

Let's break the numbers down again:

AJ Green- Most likely will get 13-14 million per season
    Atkins- 9-10 million per season
    Dalton-I could see him getting 8-9 million per, however Bengals recently worked out EJ Manuel, maybe they aren't as sold.
    Dunlap-I could see a contract around 5 per season
    Johnson-7-8 million dollar guy could be more if he has another big yr
    Andre Smith-6-7 million for him

That's a lot of cake and it doesn't leave much left for signing other big name superstars.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-28-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?