Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Giving Andre Smith any sort of long-term guaranteed deal is a recipe for disaster.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guess Teo to the Bengals makes sense. He has an imaginary girlfriend and gets to play for an imaginary NFL team.

(And I am a Bengals fan).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I guess Teo to the Bengals makes sense. He has an imaginary girlfriend and gets to play for an imaginary NFL team.

(And I am a Bengals fan).

And that my friend is dang funny! Made my day.

Reedy stated in an article that he talked with several NFL front office people who speculated Smith would fetch between 8.5 to 9 million per season on the open market. Reedy believes it is 50/50 that Smith stays a Bengal at this point.

The Bengals usually let guys walk find out what the value is and than make an offer. I don't see an extension getting done before free agency hits.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think Vaccaro is the guy the Bengals really want at 21, and rightfully so. I just hope he lasts that long.
    I'd love to see the bengals pick up a playmaker at safety. Someone on the level of Palomalu would be awesome.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Reedy stated in an article that he talked with several NFL front office people who speculated Smith would fetch between 8.5 to 9 million per season on the open market. Reedy believes it is 50/50 that Smith stays a Bengal at this point.

The Bengals usually let guys walk find out what the value is and than make an offer. I don't see an extension getting done before free agency hits.
    I'll believe those F.O. folks when I see it, something clearly wrong with that statement. Just look at the numbers guys have been getting lately not close to that number to this point. Maybe the Cowboys would bite on him they did sign Livings to a stupid contract last year but I bet no smart team even attempts to sign him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'll believe those F.O. folks when I see it, something clearly wrong with that statement. Just look at the numbers guys have been getting lately not close to that number to this point. Maybe the Cowboys would bite on him they did sign Livings to a stupid contract last year but I bet no smart team even attempts to sign him.
    Plenty of teams with holes on the OL will bite. Each and every year there is someone who gives out stupid money to a FA because they play a premier position. The thing is, very few if any good/great ones hit the FA market. Most teams end up keeping their better offensive linemen for a long time. Therefor when one team needs one they end up paying the second tier top tier money. Playing OT in this league gives you the right to print money.

9. Likes:

KoryMac5 (03-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Plenty of teams with holes on the OL will bite. Each and every year there is someone who gives out stupid money to a FA because they play a premier position. The thing is, very few if any good/great ones hit the FA market. Most teams end up keeping their better offensive linemen for a long time. Therefor when one team needs one they end up paying the second tier top tier money. Playing OT in this league gives you the right to print money.
    That is true for LT but not really for RT or guard. LT is second to QB in importance but the same doesn't apply to the right side. At least it didn't in the past.

Are there any RTs in the league that make that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Are there any RTs in the league that make that much?
    Reedy cited Doug Free in Dallas who the Cowboys gave a ton of money to knowing he was switching from the left side to the right side. He is on the books at about 8 million per season or so. Smith's last season of his rookie contract was paying him 6.5 million. Most guys in the NFL playing RT average around 4-5 million dollars, however it's just a matter of time before this position catches up. I can't see Smith's agent going backwards from his rookie contract. If he was averaging around 6-7 million he is going to want his client to have a raise. Most likely asking 9 settling for 7-8 with a nice chunk up front.

I do feel that Reedy is right in saying someone is going to pay Smith big dollars (Hmmmm Redskins and Philly). It really depends on how much the Bengals value Smith and if they feel his production can be replaced by a cheaper alternative (Collins or the draft).
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-05-2013 at 03:57 PM.

13. Likes:

redsfanmia (03-10-2013)

Reedy cited Doug Free in Dallas who the Cowboys gave a ton of money to knowing he was switching from the left side to the right side. He is on the books at about 8 million per season or so. Smith's last season of his rookie contract was paying him 6.5 million. Most guys in the NFL playing RT average around 4-5 million dollars, however it's just a matter of time before this position catches up. I can't see Smith's agent going backwards from his rookie contract. If he was averaging around 6-7 million he is going to want his client to have a raise. Most likely asking 9 settling for 7-8 with a nice chunk up front.

I do feel that Reedy is right in saying someone is going to pay Smith big dollars (Hmmmm Redskins and Philly). It really depends on how much the Bengals value Smith and if they feel his production can be replaced by a cheaper alternative (Collins or the draft).
    Surprise the one team overpaying OL is Dallas (Nate livings anyone). What is funny is that I just heard Free's name brought up as a Cowboy "issue" on NFL32 the other day.

Someone very well may overpay him thinking they will be able to keep him in shape, because there is no doubt he has the talent to be the best RT in the game if one can keep him on the field and relatively healthy. I just hope it's not the Bengals I think the risk is too high without some way (contract stipulation) to minimize risk. I don't believe that team will be Philly but they did give Stacy Andrews a ton of money once upon a time, just not sure he is wise fit in that new scheme, seems like they will be looking for more athletic types on the OL.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The only way I would consider it is if he agreed to some pretty strict workout and weight restriction guidelines which would cost him money if not adhered to and would eventually give the Bengals power to nullify guaranteed dollars.

16. Likes:

TeamSelig (03-09-2013)

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The only way I would consider it is if he agreed to some pretty strict workout and weight restriction guidelines which would cost him money if not adhered to and would eventually give the Bengals power to nullify guaranteed dollars.
    This.

CB Chris Gamble was released today by the Panthers. Could he be a good fit?
    Witty signature.

Based upon a story I heard Marvin tell about Chris' Proday workout at OSU, I'm not sure that Marvin is going to jump at Chris Gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    This.

CB Chris Gamble was released today by the Panthers. Could he be a good fit?
    Don't see it happening unless it was on the cheap. Bengals will resign most of their key guys and see which guys fall to them on low risk high reward contracts.

Turn Off Ads?