Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have been wishing to see it. I have a feeling I will be wishing it for a while too, for some very unknown reason to me.
    I could see it happening next week.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Reactions should be worse in this case, since it means the football team is bad.

This is a really good team. Fumble recoveries are random.

Gio only touched the ball 9 times today. Can you imagine when he starts getting 20-25 touches?
    I think it's wise to ease him into his role to try to keep him fresh the entire season. As a Carolina fan, Gio was a bit fragile during his time in Chapel Hill, missing his entire freshman year with a knee and a couple games each of the two years that he played. I'd continue to be cautious with him.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's too early to tell what Andy Dalton's ceiling is yet. He has the skills to be a top 10 QB. It's his third year. Look at Drew Brees and Tom Brady in year 3, you can't say they were appreciably better than Dalton at that point in their progression (Brees was probably worse.)
    This is the funniest post in the thread.

Let's not go that far. Andy Dalton is still Andy Dalton. The Bengals have playmakers on offense and defense, but this is a quarterback league and they don't have a top 10 quarterback.
    Dalton certainly isn't an elite QB, but I'd barely be able to come up with 10 guys in this league I'd rather have, and only about a half a dozen that I'd list without hesitation.

While it's a QB league, if you look at teams that have won championships, a lot of them have been won by guys who aren't flashy but just get the job done. Defense and offensive lines, first and foremost, win titles. There are a lot of guys like Dilfer, Flacco, Roethlisberger, etc. that have won championships.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It's too early to tell what Andy Dalton's ceiling is yet. He has the skills to be a top 10 QB. It's his third year. Look at Drew Brees and Tom Brady in year 3, you can't say they were appreciably better than Dalton at that point in their progression (Brees was probably worse.)
    I know that Brady had a much stronger arm. That is my real concern with Dalton. He has an average at best arm. We have AJ Green. A quarterback who can't throw the ball 40+ yards down field kind of wastes some of Green's ability.

I can think of 14 QB's I'd rather have.

8. Likes:

dougdirt (09-22-2013),WMR (09-22-2013)

I don't think Dalton is nearly as bad as people make him out to be. For a 3rd year QB who has never leveled off or gotten worse, I really don't get it. He's not a top tier QB or even close, but how about we wait and watch him continue to improve? I love the way he competes, and I loved seeing him get on his guys for a missed blocking assignment today. That fire isn't something that isn't taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I can think of 14 QB's I'd rather have.
    I can only get to 10. Brady, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Schaub, Manning, Rivers, Eli, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees.

Who else do you have above Dalton?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I can only get to 10. Brady, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Schaub, Manning, Rivers, Eli, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees.

Who else do you have above Dalton?
    Kaepernick. Wilson. A healthy RGIII. Those were off of the top of my head.

Brees Rogers Ben Ryan Newton RG3, Romo, Peyton, Rivers, Schaub Luck Brady Vick

And Im forgetting one or two...

I know that Brady had a much stronger arm. That is my real concern with Dalton. He has an average at best arm. We have AJ Green. A quarterback who can't throw the ball 40+ yards down field kind of wastes some of Green's ability.
    40+ yard pass plays are not that important.

Since 2011 Brady is 1/13 in 41+ yard attempts. In that same span Dalton is 5/15 with 3tds and 2ints.

No idea what the league average is but I assume it's low.

His arm is plenty big enough for AJ imo.

I'm not a scout, so I just look at stats, and Dalton measures up in his first 2+ years to just about anybody. Other people can worry about his arm strength, I have no idea.

Just like with baseball I prefer to look at results, because I'm not an expert.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-23-2013),Stray (09-22-2013)

Kaepernick. Wilson. A healthy RGIII. Those were off of the top of my head.
    Eh, I think all these are debatable. Long-term, I'd take Dalton over the three above.
    -Walt Whitman

Eli is extremely overrated. Only a career 1.4 TD:INT ratio in his career. 58.4% completion percentage.

Dalton is 1.6 and 60.6%.

For me, the list goes:

Brady, Ryan, Brees, Rogers, Manning and Rivers

As well as probably Stafford, Luck, Wilson and Griffin.

After that, there's really no one else I'd take over Dalton. Definitely not Flacco or Roethlisberger. Flacco is a mediocre QB that just got hot last year in the postseason. Roethlisberger's better days are behind him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    40+ yard pass plays are not that important.

Since 2011 Brady is 1/13 in 41+ yard attempts. In that same span Dalton is 5/15 with 3tds and 2ints.

No idea what the league average is but I assume it's low.

His arm is plenty big enough for AJ imo.
    Brady doesn't have one of the two best deep threats in football either. Brady has a bunch of slot receivers.

Dalton consistently underthrows to AJ deep and AJ has to slow down to let the ball get to him.

I am sure the league average isn't good on 40+ yard throws. I just know what I see and I see a guy who struggles to throw the ball far enough to let one of the best two deep threats in the game run under the ball.

Turn Off Ads?