Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree that the 1st one was on AJ. That one should not have been thrown. Sure AJ could have bailed him out by that was not a point where Dalton could be justified by forcing a ball
    I thought Sims made the comment that it was a ball you need to cut loose and trust your WR. Tillman jumped the route but its a quick drop and then let loose. You don't have the time to survey the defense or see where the CB is. You have to throw the ball to a predetermined spot and trust your WR. AJ should have bailed him out is what I am trying to get at.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I'm kind of surprised at how strong the negative reactions are. Like you, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from week 1. Also, as far as losses go, I see a few positives: the problems we saw are correctable; it wasn't a division opponent; and, it wasn't even a conference opponent. I was at the game and I came away thinking that the Bears are no slouch team. I also don't think you can get an appreciation for how loud the stadium was. That was not an easy place to play in.
    In a short 16 game season you can't give games away. You can't give games away if your hoping to be one of the best teams in the AFC. IMO that is why you have such a negative reaction.

There was little doubt watching the game on TV who the better team was. Gruden called a heck of a game. The defense kept the Bears in check for most of the game. The problem was turn overs and POOR coaching. Not getting the proper number of players on the field reflects poorly on the coaching staff. Burning time outs early in the 4th quarter reflects poorly on the coaching staff. That was a game where defeat was snatched from the arms of victory.

The biggest concern that many people had with Marvin is his time management skills. Well right now he is 0 for 1.

I'm kind of surprised at how strong the negative reactions are. Like you, I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from week 1. Also, as far as losses go, I see a few positives: the problems we saw are correctable; it wasn't a division opponent; and, it wasn't even a conference opponent. I was at the game and I came away thinking that the Bears are no slouch team. I also don't think you can get an appreciation for how loud the stadium was. That was not an easy place to play in.
    I'm not upset by the fact that the Bengals lost, but I think it's fair to be a bit concerned about the way that they lost.

The Bengals clearly have enough talent to compete with anyone in the league and after two years of really disappointing playoff performances I think many were hoping to see a team poised to take the next step and become a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Instead we saw many of the same limitations (stupid penalties, laughably bad game management) that we've seen in years past, which sort of puts a dampener on some of the enthusiasm.

I don't even think the game management was the reason they lost. They lost because of a horrible penalty called on Kirkpatrick before the half that led to a ridiculous field goal that usually gets missed, along with turning the ball over.

Sanu's fumble was a great play by the defender, sometimes you have to give the opponent credit. The interceptions shouldn't have happened. The Bears had a really good defense last year though. If the offense looked that decent this week then they should be able to go to town on bad defenses.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I'm not upset by the fact that the Bengals lost, but I think it's fair to be a bit concerned about the way that they lost.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. Losing on the road to the Bears isn't a terrible loss in itself. But losing when you were clearly the better team, and losing because of numerous mental mistakes, is not the way you want to start the season, especially considering the Bengals early schedule. This was a bad loss.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    losing because of numerous mental mistakes, is not the way you want to start the season, especially considering the Bengals early schedule. This was a bad loss.
    At least it was just mental mistakes that cost them the game. Usually, it's talent and mental mistakes. We're used to the mental mistakes. It's nice to have some talent this go around. That being said, it was a really bad loss. A pathetic loss. But, their issues are fixable. You can't fix lack of talent.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    At least it was just mental mistakes that cost them the game. Usually, it's talent and mental mistakes. We're used to the mental mistakes. It's nice to have some talent this go around. That being said, it was a really bad loss. A pathetic loss. But, their issues are fixable. You can't fix lack of talent.
    That's a fair point. I'm just a bit skeptical that the mental errors are going to get fixed and if they don't get resolved I'm not sure it'll be able to come close to maximizing their talent. I mean Marvin Lewis has been an NFL head coach for a decade and if he hasn't learned the nuances of game management by now I'm not sure he'll ever get there.

9. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-10-2013),RiverRat13 (09-11-2013),UKFlounder (09-11-2013)

One thing I find interesting regarding the game management. I'd assume most of the people who would like Marvin gone would want to hire Zimmer as his replacement.
    If the stupid mistakes(late hit penalties, too many men, too few men leading to timeouts) are a bad reflection on Marvin, how are they not as bad if not worse of a reflection on Zimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Does anyone honestly believe the Bengals aren't going to completely bungle this season at some point? Please speak up if so...

This organization is cursed.

Would love to be wrong. Charlie Brown goes to kick the football one more time...

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Does anyone honestly believe the Bengals aren't going to completely bungle this season at some point? Please speak up if so...

Would love to be wrong. Charlie Brown goes to kick the football one more time...
    I guess it depends on what you consider 'bungling'.

They've been to the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons. I'm sure there's a lot of fans around the league that would take that.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-15-2013),RedEye (09-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I guess it depends on what you consider 'bungling'.

They've been to the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons. I'm sure there's a lot of fans around the league that would take that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ctory_droughts

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

I look at 1989 and see that the same thing could happen again ....just like that year, this year.

Weird is how the schedule for the 1st 2 games is the same way as well.

Bengals go to Chicago and blow that game as well....when their FG kicker missed 2 doable FG's.

Team outscored their opponents by almost 200 points..... but they lost games they should have won against average INDY and MIAMI teams at home....and SEA as well...at home.

Like I said, it depends on what you consider bungling. If being one of the better teams in the league year after year, but not better than the top tier teams is the same old bungles then you're correct.

I have a different definition for that word, though. Having watched a lot of terrible seasons in my lifetime, I reserve the word bungles for the especially embarrassing teams.

17. Likes:

RedEye (09-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Like I said, it depends on what you consider bungling. If being one of the better teams in the league year after year, but not better than the top tier teams is the same old bungles then you're correct.

I have a different definition for that word, though. Having watched a lot of terrible seasons in my lifetime, I reserve the word bungles for the especially embarrassing teams.
    These are not the Bungles of old. In those years, James Harrison would have been lauded by Hobson as the most significant free agent signing in the franchise's history, and we'd be pinning our hopes on big seasons from the likes of Ki-Jana Carter, Dan Wilkinson, Akili Smith, Rod Jones, Peter Warrick, and Sean Freaking Brewer.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

These are not the Bungles of old. In those years, James Harrison would have been lauded by Hobson as the most significant free agent signing in the franchise's history, and we'd be pinning our hopes on big seasons from the likes of Ki-Jana Carter, Dan Wilkinson, Akili Smith, Rod Jones, Peter Warrick, and Sean Freaking Brewer.
    I've been trying to forget those guys ever existed.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?