Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Very nice. Positioning himself to move into Gruden's spot next year.

Now, if Mikey Boy could just move Marvin to the front office and Zimmer to Head Coach, we'd be on to something special.
    I'm not a big fan of moving Zimmer to the HC position. I just feel he'll flop as a head coach. Dick LeBeau version 2.0. Even though Gruden had a poor 2nd half of the season as O-Coordinator, I still believe he'll make a good head coach in the future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I'm not a big fan of moving Zimmer to the HC position. I just feel he'll flop as a head coach. Dick LeBeau version 2.0. Even though Gruden had a poor 2nd half of the season as O-Coordinator, I still believe he'll make a good head coach in the future.
    Is this just a feeling or do you see things that would hold him back? Just curious.

I just hope they don't lose him. He's been great for them.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I think Zimmer has proven himself enough to get a shot somewhere. Bengals were awful on D for yrs before he came in and turned things around. I now think the D is one of our best strengths on the team. Lebeau was a good DC that flopped in an awful situation, I don't think Lomabardi would have won with those Bengal teams. I am all for the move but no way Mike Brown ever gets a GM when he basically has Marvin doing both coaching duties and some GM responsibilities as well.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think Zimmer has proven himself enough to get a shot somewhere. Bengals were awful on D for yrs before he came in and turned things around. I now think the D is one of our best strengths on the team. Lebeau was a good DC that flopped in an awful situation, I don't think Lomabardi would have won with those Bengal teams. I am all for the move but no way Mike Brown ever gets a GM when he basically has Marvin doing both coaching duties and some GM responsibilities as well.
    Well, I'd say the powers that be in the NFL disagree with you. He can't ask for a better situation than this off season where a quarter of all NFL head coaching jobs were up for grabs and I don't think he came close to landing any of them. That's pretty telling

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well, I'd say the powers that be in the NFL disagree with you. He can't ask for a better situation than this off season where a quarter of all NFL head coaching jobs were up for grabs and I don't think he came close to landing any of them. That's pretty telling
    Why though? Does anyone know?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Why though? Does anyone know?
    Word from Cleveland writers was that his tell it like it is style wasn't endearing to most teams.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Word from Cleveland writers was that his tell it like it is style wasn't endearing to most teams.
    Gotcha, thanks. Guessing Cleveland and some of the other teams didn't like hearing the truth.

Zimmer is brutally honest with teams during the interview process, which turns some GM's and owners off. Case in point Miami where he had a really good situation lined up with Ireland who he worked with in Dallas. Zimmer lost that job after meeting with ownership who felt Philbin was a little less abrasive. Too bad too, guy would be a heck of a coach.

The fact that the league is riding an offensive wave doesn't help either.

Teams want points, points, points.

They aren't as focused on preventing points, points, points.

As a Browns fan I have to go on record not liking the "I guess Cleveland didn't like hearing the truth." remark. I disagree. I believe they just fell in love with Chud after his interview. The Browns were one of the few teams that even gave Zimmer an interview despite his reputation.

What about signing Tebow as a fullback?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    What about signing Tebow as a fullback?
    Tebow's got to embrace a position change and that hasn't happened yet

The Bengals had an opportunity to make a statement against the Ravens in primetime to open the season, but the eventual champions blew out Cincy 44-13. The loss seemed to kill any notion Cincinnati was going to emerge from its unexpected 2011 playoff run as the team to beat in the division. Fortunately for the Bengals, though, their early-season schedule -- loaded with inexperienced quarterbacks -- allowed them to recover and win the next three over Cleveland, Washington and Jacksonville.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2LatZTQeg

Marvin says Bengals want Rey Maualuga back, and will make an effort to sign him. Speculation is that Burfict will move to the middle, while Rey heads over to strong side LB spot he played for two seasons.

I actually am OK with this move if we can get him on a cheap deal. Rey was pretty good his first couple of seasons at strong side.

How do you guys feel about the draft? What positions will be looking at in the first 3 rounds? Any players that might drop to us?

I think Zimmer feels he is a safety away from being one of the elite defenses in the league. I would say they lean safety in the first if there is one left at 21. In the second I could see hitting on a RB and LB, and shoring up the line in the third with a tackle. However you never know with the Bengals, they follow the Baltimore model of always drafting BPA, so you never know.

Turn Off Ads?