Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Newman resigned per his twitter

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good deal for the Bengals as he took less money to stay here with Zimmer. Now if we could only get the Smith deal done. They have the same agent so hopefully they have talked.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    28.9 million under the cap:

10 million of that rolled into 2014 for extensions to Green, Dalton , and perhaps Dunlap. Green will break the bank folks, probably around 15 million per season.

7-9 million are put in the rookie pool to sign all the new picks or undrafted FA's.

So basically out of that number you have 10 million dollars left, with the majority of that going towards resigning Smith and Newman.

It sounds big at first glance but when you have a young and talented team it shrinks down quick.

Cap numbers provided by CincyJungle: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/3/27...13-nfl-bengals
    Is this Hobson spin or what?

I think about 25 teams shouldn't even show up to draft in April considering they can't sign their picks...

It's laughable what Mike does and gets away with from fans. He is using the 89% salary cap floor that rolls on a four year average and he is pocketing a ton of money. He's a genius and we are the fools like always.

Good teams cut dead weight like Jason Allen and Jamal Anderson and supplement their team with a decent KR, LB, or a safety. I don't want or need Mike Wallace.

And I remember this same extension junk from 05. It never quite happens so smoothly as Hobson tries to spin.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Good deal for the Bengals as he took less money to stay here with Zimmer. Now if we could only get the Smith deal done. They have the same agent so hopefully they have talked.
    It's a good deal because Newman and Pac-Man are loyal and unique. Mikey lowballed both of them and got lucky.

Great organization!

How is it a lowball offer when your basically only competing against yourself. Newman's other offer was from Oakland which has turned into a worse organization than the Bengals, and Pacman wasn't offered another contract. Bengals set the market on these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Is this Hobson spin or what?

I think about 25 teams shouldn't even show up to draft in April considering they can't sign their picks...

It's laughable what Mike does and gets away with from fans. He is using the 89% salary cap floor that rolls on a four year average and he is pocketing a ton of money. He's a genius and we are the fools like always.

Good teams cut dead weight like Jason Allen and Jamal Anderson and supplement their team with a decent KR, LB, or a safety. I don't want or need Mike Wallace.

And I remember this same extension junk from 05. It never quite happens so smoothly as Hobson tries to spin.

And I remember this same extension junk from 05. It never quite happens so smoothly as Hobson tries to spin.[/QUOTE]

I can't stand when folks debate like this as I don't think it adds anything to the discussion but bluster which leads to issues. Again the numbers did not come from Hobson they came from CincyJungle.com which I find pretty balanced in their coverage. Plus many of the experts out there declared the Bengals winner in FA for not spending crazy ala the Dolphins. They must be Schills for Mikey as well.

As far as the rookie pool it is set by the NFL and is included into the cap number. Most teams depending on draft picks will spend 7-10 million to get their picks into the fold. If you want further education on this a quick google search can end your confusion. If a team ends up going over (as of right now 4 teams are over) the team will have to make some tough decisions on who they want to keep or cut.

What most folks have trouble wrapping there minds around is all that money and what to do with it, and if others can sign all these guys why can't we. Like Reedy says, You have 31 teams in the league that do business and then you have this one. It's definitely a different approach and one that most likely is pretty misguided. The Bengals now look at it this way, in that they know their own guys and would rather sign them, then to take chances on others who may end up burning them like Bryant and Coles did.

Sorry if you don't like the plan but that's the way the Bengals are going to be doing business in the forseeable future.

This is a comment from the article that was linked. I do not know for sure whether or not it is accurate but it makes sense:

"The 2013 Rookie Pool (i.e. the combined Cap Hit for all drafted players) for the Bengals is likely closer to $5M-$6M

More importantly, though, that $5M-$6M Rookie cap hit is NOT a net hit. In other words, since the Top 51 player contracts is used to determine the team’s cap, the rookies who make the team will offset players who are currently being counted in the Top 51. So it’s not as simple as many people say, that you have to “add $5-$6M million for rookie”. This is a misleading/uninformed statement. It’s NOT a net charge. Those rookies will make the roster at the expense of veterans who currently count in the Top 51.

The $28.9M is not misleading, so much as it is incomplete, per se.

Bottom line, there is plenty of cap room (not to be confused with actually cash btw) to extend Geno, Carlos, MJ93, AJ, and Andy. It will be a colossal organizational failure of any of these 5 is allowed to leave after their rookie contracts expire."

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    This is a comment from the article that was linked. I do not know for sure whether or not it is accurate but it makes sense:

"The 2013 Rookie Pool (i.e. the combined Cap Hit for all drafted players) for the Bengals is likely closer to $5M-$6M

More importantly, though, that $5M-$6M Rookie cap hit is NOT a net hit. In other words, since the Top 51 player contracts is used to determine the team’s cap, the rookies who make the team will offset players who are currently being counted in the Top 51. So it’s not as simple as many people say, that you have to “add $5-$6M million for rookie”. This is a misleading/uninformed statement. It’s NOT a net charge. Those rookies will make the roster at the expense of veterans who currently count in the Top 51.

The $28.9M is not misleading, so much as it is incomplete, per se.

Bottom line, there is plenty of cap room (not to be confused with actually cash btw) to extend Geno, Carlos, MJ93, AJ, and Andy. It will be a colossal organizational failure of any of these 5 is allowed to leave after their rookie contracts expire."
    While true, there are other costs people just flat out ignore routinely. If we are gonna be critical then we should know all of what we are talking about. You've got the rookie salary pool, the practice squad isn't counted in that so you have to include funds for it, ideally you should have a couple of million for potential additions in season due to injury and so on. I was watching the Parcells & Polian FA special awhile back and they stated that every team should ideally take 10-12 million right off the top of their cap before additions etc. I have no reason not to believe that.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I can't stand when folks debate like this as I don't think it adds anything to the discussion but bluster which leads to issues. Again the numbers did not come from Hobson they came from CincyJungle.com which I find pretty balanced in their coverage. Plus many of the experts out there declared the Bengals winner in FA for not spending crazy ala the Dolphins. They must be Schills for Mikey as well.

As far as the rookie pool it is set by the NFL and is included into the cap number. Most teams depending on draft picks will spend 7-10 million to get their picks into the fold. If you want further education on this a quick google search can end your confusion. If a team ends up going over (as of right now 4 teams are over) the team will have to make some tough decisions on who they want to keep or cut.

What most folks have trouble wrapping there minds around is all that money and what to do with it, and if others can sign all these guys why can't we. Like Reedy says, You have 31 teams in the league that do business and then you have this one. It's definitely a different approach and one that most likely is pretty misguided. The Bengals now look at it this way, in that they know their own guys and would rather sign them, then to take chances on others who may end up burning them like Bryant and Coles did.

Sorry if you don't like the plan but that's the way the Bengals are going to be doing business in the forseeable future.[/QUOTE]

There is a reason the Bengals are ALWAYS in the top three of having the most cap space available. And it's not because they have some master plan.

People are very naive about Mike Brown. It's not like I'm being doom and gloom without a major track record.

11. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Thanks Hobspin.
    Every year we hear this yet every year we end the season where we started: near the top of the heap in terms of cap space. Wouldn't you love to sometime end a year like the Ravens $29mill over the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    There is a reason the Bengals are ALWAYS in the top three of having the most cap space available. And it's not because they have some master plan.

People are very naive about Mike Brown. It's not like I'm being doom and gloom without a major track record.
    I'm fine with the Bengals not going crazy in free agency. Better than spending wildly like the Browns tend to do and they still stink. The team has done a heck of a job in the draft lately, and if having more space to resign these guys means not bringing in free agents, which can be just as hit and miss as with the draft, that's okay by me. Regardless of what I think of Mike Brown's spending, building through the draft and using free agency to find affordable role players seems like a sound strategy to me.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 03-31-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

14. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (03-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm fine with the Bengals not going crazy in free agency. Better than spending wildly like the Browns tend to do and they still stink. The team has done a heck of a job in the draft lately, and if having more space to resign these guys means not bringing in free agents, which can be just as hit and miss as with the draft, that's okay by me. Regardless of what I think of Mike Brown's spending, building through the draft and using free agency to find affordable role players seems like a sound strategy to me.
    Nobody here seems to be arguing for building through free agency. That's not possible and not realistic for Mikey even if we wanted that. I'm just asking for depth signing and possibly a starter somewhere.

Mike Brown isn't avoiding cutting guys like Jamal Anderson or Jason Allen because they are part of a "plan." They will get cut around camp time and it will go right in his pocket. He will be right at the 89% floor and I guess that's just a MAJOR coincidence. I'm also stunned people are so gullible they are already writing off money for Aj, Gresh, Geno, and Dalton. I've heard this extension story before and Mikey keeps fooling the sheep.

16. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-31-2013)

Who have they failed to get a deal done for besides J Joe. Extended Whit, Ocho (twice), Palmer, Hall, Newman, Rey M, Willie Anderson, and others. They actually have done a decent job signing there own guys, in FA they have bombed. Which speaks to there shortcomings in the front office.

I have never ever been naive about Mike Brown, don't misinterpret my understanding of his plan as acceptance of it.

Does anyone honestly believe that Mike Brown does EVERYTHING within his power to win? Please speak up if you actually believe this.

Not that it wasn't glaringly obvious, but the Raiders' trade for Carson Palmer was an abysmal failure:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...-flynn-sources

The Raiders also are trying to finalize a trade that will send Carson Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals for minimal compensation, sources said.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?