Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I'd draft Eifert out of ND, adn move to a 2 TE system, if they aren't going to invest in any quality WR's
    Post Number 1 in this thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't like the pick. Didn't at the time and still don't. It was too much of a luxury pick when you had major holes at LB and S. The Bengals may have the slowest LB corps now and have a glaring hole at S. Taylor Mays and Jeremy Miles are vying for a starting S spot. With Ogletree there and Elam and Cyprien at S I thought they were more of a need. Now if they can get Cyprien with the 5th pick in the 2nd round then I am ok.

The one positive about the pick is it could create mismatches on offense, especially in the redzone. I think this analysis is pretty good, although I would have prefered Ertz from Stanford or even Kelce from UC.

Grade: B-plus. This was the type of pick a team that believes it can reach the Super Bowl makes. And the Bengals might be right about that level after back-to-back playoff berths. Eifert does not fill an obvious need for them, but this is a savvy pick and one that makes the team better.
    http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/25/tyler-e...nnati-bengals/

I don't think they think they have holes at LB, and honestly we are looking at a team that had the 6th overall defense last year vs. the 22nd ranked offense. I am glad they are trying to strengthen the weaker unit.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't think they think they have holes at LB, and honestly we are looking at a team that had the 6th overall defense last year vs. the 22nd ranked offense. I am glad they are trying to strengthen the weaker unit.
    Were you eyes closed when Maualuga tried to cover a TE or RB? The Bengals were exposed in the playoffs by getting a TE or Foster on a LB.

IMO the Bengals are in need of a play maker in the back 7. Something they haven't had in a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The one positive about the pick is it could create mismatches on offense, especially in the redzone.
    And that's why it's a really good pick. Redzone offense has killed the Bengals the last couple years. Grabbing Eifert could go a long way towards fixing that.

I love the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Were you eyes closed when Maualuga tried to cover a TE or RB? The Bengals were exposed in the playoffs by getting a TE or Foster on a LB.

IMO the Bengals are in need of a play maker in the back 7. Something they haven't had in a number of years.
    Totally agree on the defensive playmaker in the back 7, but I still think the bigger need was on offense. And I still wonder if the Bengals may think they took their starting safety at #17 last year...

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    And that's why it's a really good pick. Redzone offense has killed the Bengals the last couple years. Grabbing Eifert could go a long way towards fixing that.

I love the pick.
    Third down (33% conversion rate - 28th overall) was an even bigger problem and I think Eifert will help there as well. Having someone who can win the ball in tight spaces has to be a good thing on 3rd down. The Bengals made some strides last year in the red zone (44% TD conversion rate in '11 to 53% in '12) due to Zeitler and BJGE but they still were ranked in the bottom half. Like you said, Eifert will help there big time.

10. Likes:

New York Red (04-26-2013)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Eifert was drafted at the same spot as Gresham. Funny.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

You know, we fans are so used to the Bengals out-smarting themselves. Maybe this pick was actually the result of some smart analysis, realizing where the weaknesses are and shoring them up. Like a real NFL team or something.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You know, we fans are so used to the Bengals out-smarting themselves. Maybe this pick was actually the result of some smart analysis, realizing where the weaknesses are and shoring them up. Like a real NFL team or something.
    I know its easy to pick on the Bengals for their draft history, and anyone that grew up a fan of the Bengals in the 90s is well aware of all of the blunder, however since Marvin came to town, actually since slighty before that and the 2001 draft (the Chad Johnson, Justin Smith, TJ & Rudi class) the bengals have been pretty solid. The 2005 class bite them pretty good b/w the poor injury luck w/ Pollack and the knuckleheadness (pro productive when they were available) of Odell & Henry, and the 2008 class was a repeat of the 90s, but for the most part, they've got solid, if not spectacular players at the top and solid depth. Its got to the point where the Bengal's have earned my trust in their draft process. They'll have misses like every other team, but they've seemed to stumble onto a formula that works.

Tyrann Mathieu anyone?

Eifert was a fantastic pick for the Bengals. Great value where they picked too. And given that tight ends generally run shorter routes than wide receivers, that could be a great target for Dalton and may open up for additional throws (if that's even possible) to Green.

By the way, Mel Kiper Jr. indicated that this was one of his 3 favorite picks from the first round, as he had Eifert as the 8th best player in the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...stions-round-1
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 04-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Tyrann Mathieu anyone?
    it just makes too much sense for the bengals (if he's available when they pick next).

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    it just makes too much sense for the bengals (if he's available when they pick next).
    I think he'll slip to at least the 3rd round, maybe further. If so I'd love to take a chance on him. 2nd round picks are too valuable to gamble on a guy like him tho imo.

I'm guessing the Honey Badger slips down to the 4th round or later.

You have to remember, even before all the character red flags popped up a year ago, he was still considered undersized enough to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Now he's been out of football for a year, and has a ton of red flags. He says he's been drug free for 7 months now, well he was kicked out of LSU more than 7 months ago, if that wasn't a wake up call, I wouldn't expect him to kick his weed (or whatever else he's putting in his body) habit for the long run.

I'd take a flyer on him in the 4th, maybe late 3rd as a guy that has potential as a return man and nickle corner; I wouldn't use a pick in the 2nd.

Turn Off Ads?