Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Good work digging that up!

Actually what made James Brooks so special was that he had three Pro Bowl level skills: running, catching and blocking (his least appeciated) . He was a fierce blocker on blitz pickup. Too bad he was a deadbeat Dad off the field and is another example of an NFL player who was broke a few yrs after leaving the league
    His catching skills were off the charts as well. Fast forward to 1:45:

How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

This Bengals team is really good. I mean REALLY good.

If I have one concern it's that they don't know how to play ahead. They don't know how to pull away from teams. It reminds me a little of the Tressel Ohio State teams. Once they have the lead they go into don't blow it mode. That's going to wind p costing them a game or two, and could hurt even more in the playoffs.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

Benihana (09-18-2013),Joseph (09-17-2013)

That's been a common theme under Lewis. I want them to be good. I hope they are good. I worry they cant close.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That was a cakewalk. Was not as close as the score. Bengals outgained the Steelers 407 to 278. 35:34 to 24:26 in TOP. I don't think Pittsburgh wins more than 5-6 games this year.

People need to chill a little when it comes to Andy Dalton. He will have bad games, but he's a competitive QB. He made some great throws tonight after a shaky start.
    Dalton isn't bad. He's just not great. . . .'Good' at best. Not sure how far he can lead this team even with all the weapons he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Dalton isn't bad. He's just not great. . . .'Good' at best. Not sure how far he can lead this team even with all the weapons he has.
    That's what frustrates me at times. Like MWM, I believe this team is REALLY good, except for the QB play. I hope Dalton blossoms; I'm just not convinced it will happen.

Same could be said for Marvin Lewis. Certainly not a bad coach like so many previous Bengals coaches but unfortunately I'm not sure he has the in-game skills to take this team deep into the playoffs.

The discipline has been atrocious this season.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Joseph (09-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Putting pressure on the QB is never a bad idea but forget about Rodgers making mistakes. Doesn't happen too often. Packers have not lost a game in a long time where the opposition scored less than 30 points. (the replacement ref game wasn't really a loss.). Cincy will have to win this with their offense.
    Rodgers makes mistakes, he just doesn't throw many int's. He will hold onto balls, take sacks, instead of throwing the ball away. Some have speculated that he doesn't like throwing it away because it would hurt his completion percentage . I think this game will be won or lost by how well the DLine plays. If they can get pressure they can beat the Pack. If they don't it could turn ugly.

Dalton and Lewis are my two biggest worries with this team. They may hold back a team that should achieve more based solely on talent. Early rankings put the Bengals O-line as #1 in the league. We know the D-line is top notch. Arguably, no one has more "weapons" or skill position players on offense. That should add up to a fun season. We'll see

12. Likes:

remdog (09-18-2013)

The only team in the AFC North I see as a better team than Who Dey is Denver.

The Bengals D is scary good, and the only weak link on the O is Dalton. And that isn't a big weak link, albeit a pretty important one. I just wish he was a couple inches taller so so many of his passes wouldn't get deflected at the line.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    The only team in the AFC North I see as a better team than Who Dey is Denver.

The Bengals D is scary good, and the only weak link on the O is Dalton. And that isn't a big weak link, albeit a pretty important one. I just wish he was a couple inches taller so so many of his passes wouldn't get deflected at the line.
    I assume you mean in the AFC, not AFC North.

As to Dalton, I think his height is fine (6'2), but he needs to gain consistency in his mechanics. As pressure develops around him, he has a tendency to drop his elbow which results in a 3/4 or almost sidearm release, mostly on short to medium throws. The result is flat passes that are frequently swatted at the line (and often intercepted).

Although Dalton has his issues, the thing to remember with him is that he's come a really long way since his days at TCU (which is only four years ago). It's almost unbelievable how well he's adjusted from a spread offense in the Mountain West Conference to playing football on Sundays. I hope he hasn't leveled out. We'll see if he can continue to adjust and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    That's been a common theme under Lewis. I want them to be good. I hope they are good. I worry they cant close.
    In two weeks, we've already seen some disturbing things that have been common themes during the Marvin Lewis era -- terrible clock management and boneheaded penalties. This team has great weapons on offense and a great d-line, but are pretty average otherwise and still show those signs of being a Marvin team.

Andy Dalton has to be the Andy Dalton we saw in Week One, and I'm not ruling out that possibility, but I don't think Marvin Lewis can change what he is. The fact he's in his 11th year as Bengals head coach and has zero playoff wins just boggles my mind. Has any coach ever stayed with one AFL/NFL team that long without winning a single playoff game? It has to be a pretty short list.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Rodgers makes mistakes, he just doesn't throw many int's. He will hold onto balls, take sacks, instead of throwing the ball away. Some have speculated that he doesn't like throwing it away because it would hurt his completion percentage . I think this game will be won or lost by how well the DLine plays. If they can get pressure they can beat the Pack. If they don't it could turn ugly.
    I don't know if I consider taking a sack instead of throwing an interception a "mistake". Rodgers doesn't care about his numbers, he wants to win too badly. After watching Farve for three years, I think he knows how badly interceptions hurt and its made him a bit more conservative. But he takes plenty of chances.
    Again, defensive pressure is nice, but I think Dalton has to put 30 points on the board for the Bengals to win.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 09-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Here's an interesting article about Rodgers and sacks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...lve-sack-total

Dalton has an 88.7 rating against two pretty good defenses. I think he's going to have a big game this week. Green Bay's defense hasn't been impressive at all really. They gave up almost 500 yards to the 49ers and another 422 to the Redskins (granted that one is inflated because Washington was in a deep hole the entire game.)

Football Outsiders DVOA ratings have GB with the 31st ranked defense so far, but the #1 offense.

But the Bengals may still lose, because GB's offense is obviously good enough to make up for it.

This is a pretty interesting week.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I don't know if I consider taking a sack instead of throwing an interception a "mistake". Rodgers doesn't care about his numbers, he wants to win too badly. After watching Farve for three years, I think he knows how badly interceptions hurt and its made him a bit more conservative. But he takes plenty of chances.
    Again, defensive pressure is nice, but I think Dalton has to put 30 points on the board for the Bengals to win.
    Sorry, the gist of my comment was that Rodgers is more inclined to take a sack than throw the ball away.

Turn Off Ads?