Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Moch, Kirkpatrick, Prater and Porter have all had injury problems. It's a little early to give up on Hunt and Williams. Hunt was drafted with the expectation that he wouldn't contribute much this year. Still and Thompson are stuck behind elite DTs. Most analysts would say that the Bengals have been one of the best drafting teams over the last few years.
    On offense yes. On defense, not in the last 3 years. The football draft isn't the baseball draft. To be 0-9 in defensive players drafted in the top 5 rounds getting meaningful playing time is a shameful record. Before 2011 they were better.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like how everyone was reporting he got arrested before finding out for sure.

Sounds like a cop on a power trip to me.

Calling him garbage, etc. is hysterical. It's the NFL. These are grown men ruining their physical health and shortening their lives for your entertainment. They are entitled to have a drink and a night out after a win.

I do wish he'd live cleaner and healthier, because he would play football to his potential, which is the only reason I care about the guy, because he plays for my favorite football team.

I also wish he wouldn't get in a car driven by a drunk driver, but I'm not the guy's mother, nor his spouse/girlfriend, nor his child so I have no claim over him.

We had an NFL player actually murder a guy in cold blood over the summer, possibly we stand to tone down the hysteria over a guy getting a ticket.

If someone cares about this because they want the Bengals to be a "clean" football team with upstanding citizens then I don't know what to tell them except I wish I were that naive.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-24-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-24-2013),traderumor (09-24-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-24-2013),Yachtzee (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I like how everyone was reporting he got arrested before finding out for sure.
    Whether he was arrested, cited or whatever, means nothing to me. With this guy, the next "incident" is always right around the corner. I hope he's worn a Bengals uniform for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Whether he was arrested, cited or whatever, means nothing to me. With this guy, the next "incident" is always right around the corner. I hope he's worn a Bengals uniform for the last time.
    That's fair. Personally I don't really care if he got drunk and mouthed off to a cop. I don't expect him to be a role model and never thought he was.

There's a big difference between getting arrested and getting cited tho, that's all I was saying.

8. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The proposed Haden trade and our draft needs going into next year got me to thinking- whoever is responsible for the Bengals defensive drafting the last three years (ahem, Marvin) needs to be replaced:

2011 third round: Dontay Moch
    2011 fifth round: Robert Sands

2012 first round: Dre Kirkpatrick
    2012 second round: Devon Still
    2012 third round: Brandon Thompson
    2012 fifth round: Shaun Prater

2013 second round: Margus Hunt
    2013 third round: Shawn Williams
    2013 fourth round: Sean Porter (who?!)

I'm not advocating giving up on anyone from 2013 too soon, but jesus, we have gotten literally ZERO production out of NINE guys who were drafted in the top 5 rounds the last THREE years. We haven't gotten ANYTHING. Not even good practices! It is even more amazing we have as good of a defense as we do - more credit to Zimmer. There is no one I am omitting here that was drafted in the top 5 rounds in the last 3 years to play defense, this is the list. What. the. hell?!
    OK:

Moch has had one injury after another, can't fault the team there.
    Sands: he's a 5th rounder, how many make a huge name for themselves? Get a few years of special teams out of a 5th rounder and you've done yourself well.

Kirpatrick: Injuried a lot, but so far, he's a bust, gets less leeway for being a 1st rounder.
    Still: He's in the rotation and making plays, stuck behind 1 solid DT and another who some thought was the best defensive player in the NFL last season.
    Thompson: Stuck behind Still, w/ Geno signed, they really only needed 1 of these 2 to work out, Still is working out for them.
    Prater: See Robert Sands

Hunt: This guy was a project all along. Between Gilberry, Dunlop, Johnson and Geathers, this guy wasn't going to see much playing time this season. Now that Geathers is out for the year, look for him to show up on the game day roster a handful of times. He's got a ton of potential but is extremely raw.
    Williams: I'll admit, I don't know what is going on w/ him. I had high hopes, but I'm not sure that he's played much yet.
    Porter: He looked solid early on; he's out for the year w/ injury. Not much you can do about that.

You (conviently?) left out 2012 5th rounder George Ioka, who has played well at Safety; Might as well throw in 2010ers Dunlop & Atkins, as well as 2009 draftees Maulauga & Mike Johnson. And somewhere in there, you have to give Marvin Credit for forming a relationship w/ Burfict, calling him prior to the end of the draft and making it clear that they wanted to sign him as a free agent if he went undrafted and IIRC offered slightly more than the undrafted free agent standard contract.

The draft is still a crap shoot and the Bengals have done as well or better than just about everyone in the last decade. Heck, take a look at New England, they drafted 6 guys in the top 2 rounds in 09 & 10 specifically on the defensive side of the ball and did so well that every single pick in their 2012 class save their 2nd (7th) rounder was used on a defensive player and yet they still struggle on defense.

Lord knows the Bengals give you plenty to rip on, but their draft picks over the last decade are not one of those things. This isn't your 1990's drafting regime (even if some of the faces remain the same)
    Last edited by medford; 09-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.

10. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-24-2013),Revering4Blue (09-24-2013),wolfboy (09-24-2013)

I'm not waiting for anything. He's had seven previous arrests and still can't keep his mouth shut when a police officer is present? He also allegedly wouldn't agree to a breathalyzer (again, not a first). This garbage never should have been in a Bengals uniform to begin with.
    If he's a passenger, why would he agree to a breathalyzer? Is there a law against being a drunk passenger in a private vehicle?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

12. Likes:

moewan (09-25-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If he's a passenger, why would he agree to a breathalyzer? Is there a law against being a drunk passenger in a private vehicle?
    Why would he be forced to take a breathalyzer?

Burfict has played like a first or second rounder.

They've focused more on offense in recent drafts, for which I'm thankful. They have a dominant defense without many holes, it's the offense that's been holding them back. Looking like a slightly more balanced team with Eifert and Gio if the offense can just get the turnovers under control.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

To be honest, I root for football players. If they want to mouth off to the cops, I'm not crazy about it but I say let the law handle it.

If I want to root for character, I'll go down to a Church League and pick out my favorite group of saints
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I was just repeating what's being reported. As for declining a breathalyzer, I have no idea what the law is, because I'm personally not involved in incidents like this once or twice a year like "Pacman" is.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I was just repeating what's being reported. As for declining a breathalyzer, I have no idea what the law is, because I'm personally not involved in incidents like this once or twice a year like "Pacman" is.
    You have to realize that for his past, Pacman becomes a target for a lot of not so great cops, who are just looking for a reason. Not saying that necessarily happened here, but I imagine Pacman will have to deal with that for a long time.

If he wanted to drive the vehicle after the driver's arrest, he would have had to taken a breathalyzer. Since he was just a passenger, it wouldn't be held against him if he refused, but it probably would have been noted on the police report.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Good blog post today: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/...fense-edition/

I found this tidbit interesting in light of the recent conversation about Dalton:

* When pressured, Dalton’s accuracy falls to 47.4%, second worst in the league for QBs with at least 82 dropbacks.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You have to realize that for his past, Pacman becomes a target for a lot of not so great cops, who are just looking for a reason. Not saying that necessarily happened here, but I imagine Pacman will have to deal with that for a long time.
    I don't disagree, and if I'm Pacman, I stay off the streets at 2:30. If I am on the streets, it's in the back of a cab or a limo or a car service where I'm probably not going to get pulled over and hassled. In a car with a drunk woman with Georgia plates going 15 over the speed limit? Don't like my chances there...

Is it really rocket science?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?