Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Academy Award nominations are out

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Academy Award nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    The fact that Ben Affleck got snubbed for best director is ridiculous.
    I never thought I'd live in a world where people were shocked when Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director.

Kudos to him for successfully reinventing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I thought it moved fairly slowly. It was well acted, but I have seen better.
    It takes a good twenty minutes for the story to actually start, but there are some moments of great suspense, the entire thing is extremely well acted and interesting from beginning to end. I liked it.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought it moved fairly slowly. It was well acted, but I have seen better.
    What would be your vote from the nominees?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What would be your vote from the nominees?
    I have only seen Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty of the nominees. Honestly, both left me thinking "pretty good movie", but not what I hold up as "movie of the year" category. I thought Silver Linings Playbook was better acted. Cooper and DeNiro acted their butts off.

Best movie I saw of the year was The Dark Knight Rises.

I am going to see Django Unchained today or tomorrow, so that could change. I may also go see Lincoln depending on how things play out tonight (if I see Django Unchained tonight, I will see Lincoln tomorrow before football.

I have only seen Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty of the nominees. Honestly, both left me thinking "pretty good movie", but not what I hold up as "movie of the year" category. I thought Silver Linings Playbook was better acted. Cooper and DeNiro acted their butts off.

Best movie I saw of the year was The Dark Knight Rises.

I am going to see Django Unchained today or tomorrow, so that could change. I may also go see Lincoln depending on how things play out tonight (if I see Django Unchained tonight, I will see Lincoln tomorrow before football.
    I really enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises...one of my favorites of the year too. It was one of those movies that just had a great mood throughout, and the score really stood out as well...something I usually don't care about.

Was also hoping Jack Black got a nod for Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Likewise McConaughey for Magic Mike. But those types of roles don't win awards.

I think it's kind of silly to call The Dark Knight Rises one of the best films of 2012. Giving it any awards for anything other than its special effects would be in an attempt to make up for The Dark Knight's lack of awards...

Rented Beasts of the Southern Wilds tonight. It's good and may be if I see it a second time I will think it's great. By the time I quit taking it literally I missed a fair amount of what the movie was trying to tell me. The story is great and the storytelling is pretty good too. Oh. And the girl should win best actress. And not just because she was 5. And the guy who plays her father should have been nominated at minimum.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Gotta love that Ben Affleck wins the Critic's Choice Award for Best Director and Best Film on the exact same day that he gets completely and totally snubbed for Best Director by the Academy Awards.

I haven't seen many of the movies nominated yet but I hope to get caught up before the Awards air at the end of February. I have some work to do!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rented Beasts of the Southern Wilds tonight. It's good and may be if I see it a second time I will think it's great. By the time I quit taking it literally I missed a fair amount of what the movie was trying to tell me. The story is great and the storytelling is pretty good too. Oh. And the girl should win best actress. And not just because she was 5. And the guy who plays her father should have been nominated at minimum.
    we watched it a couple of days ago, and i think it's quite wondrous..hushpuppy from "the bathtub".
    teach tolerance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Saw Django Unchained last night. Wonderful movie. I would put it below The Dark Knight Rises, but it was darn good. Excellent music as well themed to the movie. Really made it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    we watched it a couple of days ago, and i think it's quite wondrous..hushpuppy from "the bathtub".
    She was a bad man.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I really enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises...one of my favorites of the year too. It was one of those movies that just had a great mood throughout, and the score really stood out as well...something I usually don't care about.

You've got two people having an intimate conversation whilst Zimmer's booming score smothers the whole freakin' scene. Of course it stood out.

Couldn't agree more about Black, though. He was terrific.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The most egregious snub this year aside from Tarantino for best director is yet another best original score snub for Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood with The Master.

Pretty cool that Argo won the Golden Globe last night. I don't think it was the best movie, but I did really like it and made up a bit for Affleck's snub at the Oscar's.

I think Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite of the ones I've seen so far (about half the list). It comes dangerously close to audience pandering, though, but it is so damn likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I think Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite of the ones I've seen so far (about half the list). It comes dangerously close to audience pandering, though, but it is so damn likeable.
    So you're the audience to which it was pandering?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?