Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Academy Award nominations are out

  1. #1
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,514

    Academy Award nominations are out

    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    If I had a vote I'd go:

    Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty
    Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
    Actress: Jessican Chastain
    Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones
    Supporting Acress: Anne Hathaway
    Director: Spielberg

    Some close calls in all of those categories. This has been a pretty strong year for movies.

  4. #3
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,449

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    That's an awfully weak field for Best Director (where is PTA?). I think the strongest competition is for Best Supporting Actor.

    Unless Les Miz or Lincoln sweep a lot of the categories, I think the most upset I could be is if Wreck-It Ralph doesn't win haha...

    edit: The Master deserved a cinematography nod too!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That's an awfully weak field for Best Director (where is PTA?). I think the strongest competition is for Best Supporting Actor.

    Unless Les Miz or Lincoln sweep a lot of the categories, I think the most upset I could be is if Wreck-It Ralph doesn't win haha...

    edit: The Master deserved a cinematography nod too!
    It's interesting that Bigelow and to some degree Affleck got left out. Probably doens't help ZDT Best Picture chances.

  6. #5
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,449

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It's interesting that Bigelow and to some degree Affleck got left out. Probably doens't help ZDT Best Picture chances.
    I think it all but gurantees Lincoln the Best Picture award...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,578

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If I had a vote I'd go:

    Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty
    I am going to be honest.... I don't think it was that special of a movie. If it hadn't been about getting Bin Laden and had been about getting some fictional character instead, I can't see it getting anywhere near the kind of buzz it did get. Solid movie, but it isn't a special movie.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going to be honest.... I don't think it was that special of a movie. If it hadn't been about getting Bin Laden and had been about getting some fictional character instead, I can't see it getting anywhere near the kind of buzz it did get. Solid movie, but it isn't a special movie.
    That's true, but it is about getting Bin Laden not some fictional character. I think that (and the fact it was very well acted and executed) is what makes it a special movie.

  9. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,578

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That's true, but it is about getting Bin Laden not some fictional character. I think that (and the fact it was very well acted and executed) is what makes it a special movie.
    Then the movie simply wasn't as good.

    If the movie and story were so good, then it would be just as good if it were about getting you or I. But it wasn't. It is playing on the emotional feelings we all have with getting him. And man, it felt good. But that doesn't make the movie on it's own good or bad. As I said, the movie was solid. But it wasn't special.

  10. #9
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,816

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    I have to agree with Doug on this one. ZDT was a good but not great movie, IMO. Of course, I am usually a tough assessor of movies.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Then the movie simply wasn't as good.

    If the movie and story were so good, then it would be just as good if it were about getting you or I. But it wasn't. It is playing on the emotional feelings we all have with getting him. And man, it felt good. But that doesn't make the movie on it's own good or bad. As I said, the movie was solid. But it wasn't special.
    I'm sorry I just don't agree with this point. Lincoln wouldn't have been as good as a movie if it was about a fictional character. It was a good movie because it was about someone that we all know and have some sort of feelings about.

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,578

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm sorry I just don't agree with this point. Lincoln wouldn't have been as good as a movie if it was about a fictional character. It was a good movie because it was about someone that we all know and have some sort of feelings about.
    That makes the subject good, but not necessarily the movie. I haven't seen Lincoln yet, so I can't comment on it. On the basis of the actual movie, not the subject, it simply wasn't something all that great.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That makes the subject good, but not necessarily the movie. I haven't seen Lincoln yet, so I can't comment on it. On the basis of the actual movie, not the subject, it simply wasn't something all that great.
    I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree.
    It was going to be a lot easier to get that movie wrong than it was to get it right. I thought it was perfectly paced and incredibly well acted and suspenseful. There was a TV movie verision of the hunt for Bin Laden sometime last fall that was the perfect example of what not to do and ZDT nailed it.

  14. #13
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,521

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    I was disappointed that Skyfall was not nominated for Best Picture. I would not have expected it to win but I was hoping it would get a nomination. It was clearly the best (though only)movie that I saw last year.

  15. #14
    2013 Champs WDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    274

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    The fact that Ben Affleck got snubbed for best director is ridiculous.

  16. #15
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,578

    Re: Academy Award nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree.
    It was going to be a lot easier to get that movie wrong than it was to get it right. I thought it was perfectly paced and incredibly well acted and suspenseful. There was a TV movie verision of the hunt for Bin Laden sometime last fall that was the perfect example of what not to do and ZDT nailed it.
    I thought it moved fairly slowly. It was well acted, but I have seen better.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25