Re: Academy Award nominations are out

If I had a vote I'd go:

Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty
    Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
    Actress: Jessican Chastain
    Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones
    Supporting Acress: Anne Hathaway
    Director: Spielberg

Some close calls in all of those categories. This has been a pretty strong year for movies.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If I had a vote I'd go:

Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty
    I am going to be honest.... I don't think it was that special of a movie. If it hadn't been about getting Bin Laden and had been about getting some fictional character instead, I can't see it getting anywhere near the kind of buzz it did get. Solid movie, but it isn't a special movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going to be honest.... I don't think it was that special of a movie. If it hadn't been about getting Bin Laden and had been about getting some fictional character instead, I can't see it getting anywhere near the kind of buzz it did get. Solid movie, but it isn't a special movie.
    That's true, but it is about getting Bin Laden not some fictional character. I think that (and the fact it was very well acted and executed) is what makes it a special movie.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That's true, but it is about getting Bin Laden not some fictional character. I think that (and the fact it was very well acted and executed) is what makes it a special movie.
    Then the movie simply wasn't as good.

If the movie and story were so good, then it would be just as good if it were about getting you or I. But it wasn't. It is playing on the emotional feelings we all have with getting him. And man, it felt good. But that doesn't make the movie on it's own good or bad. As I said, the movie was solid. But it wasn't special.

Then the movie simply wasn't as good.

If the movie and story were so good, then it would be just as good if it were about getting you or I. But it wasn't. It is playing on the emotional feelings we all have with getting him. And man, it felt good. But that doesn't make the movie on it's own good or bad. As I said, the movie was solid. But it wasn't special.
    I'm sorry I just don't agree with this point. Lincoln wouldn't have been as good as a movie if it was about a fictional character. It was a good movie because it was about someone that we all know and have some sort of feelings about.

That's an awfully weak field for Best Director (where is PTA?). I think the strongest competition is for Best Supporting Actor.

Unless Les Miz or Lincoln sweep a lot of the categories, I think the most upset I could be is if Wreck-It Ralph doesn't win haha...

edit: The Master deserved a cinematography nod too!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That's an awfully weak field for Best Director (where is PTA?). I think the strongest competition is for Best Supporting Actor.

Unless Les Miz or Lincoln sweep a lot of the categories, I think the most upset I could be is if Wreck-It Ralph doesn't win haha...

edit: The Master deserved a cinematography nod too!
    It's interesting that Bigelow and to some degree Affleck got left out. Probably doens't help ZDT Best Picture chances.

It's interesting that Bigelow and to some degree Affleck got left out. Probably doens't help ZDT Best Picture chances.
    I think it all but gurantees Lincoln the Best Picture award...

I have to agree with Doug on this one. ZDT was a good but not great movie, IMO. Of course, I am usually a tough assessor of movies.

I was disappointed that Skyfall was not nominated for Best Picture. I would not have expected it to win but I was hoping it would get a nomination. It was clearly the best (though only)movie that I saw last year.

The fact that Ben Affleck got snubbed for best director is ridiculous.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    The fact that Ben Affleck got snubbed for best director is ridiculous.
    I never thought I'd live in a world where people were shocked when Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director.

Kudos to him for successfully reinventing himself.

I thought it moved fairly slowly. It was well acted, but I have seen better.
    It takes a good twenty minutes for the story to actually start, but there are some moments of great suspense, the entire thing is extremely well acted and interesting from beginning to end. I liked it.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Rented Beasts of the Southern Wilds tonight. It's good and may be if I see it a second time I will think it's great. By the time I quit taking it literally I missed a fair amount of what the movie was trying to tell me. The story is great and the storytelling is pretty good too. Oh. And the girl should win best actress. And not just because she was 5. And the guy who plays her father should have been nominated at minimum.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rented Beasts of the Southern Wilds tonight. It's good and may be if I see it a second time I will think it's great. By the time I quit taking it literally I missed a fair amount of what the movie was trying to tell me. The story is great and the storytelling is pretty good too. Oh. And the girl should win best actress. And not just because she was 5. And the guy who plays her father should have been nominated at minimum.
    we watched it a couple of days ago, and i think it's quite wondrous..hushpuppy from "the bathtub".
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?