Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

Thread: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

  1. #46
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    No stunt. We were told not to play the clip.
    Off topic I guess, but you are working at CC again? I apologize if I'm out of line by asking, but hey, you brought it up.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,727

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i've long thought the same thing since i first learned about steroids and Jose Canseco when iwas a teen. though to be fair, 'roids would have had no effect on his frostbite incident (which if he had half a brain, would not have come up).
    I don't even remember the frostbite incident.
    I just remember later in his career, Jones said all his bulking up hurt him. He said all that extra weight on his joints contributed to injuries. He may have elaborated more , but I can't remember.

    A few years ago, a Reds trainer (or ex-trainer) came out and said one of the Reds players was using roids during that time. I always assumed it was Jones and/or Dibble.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  4. #48
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,040

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't even remember the frostbite incident.
    I just remember later in his career, Jones said all his bulking up hurt him. He said all that extra weight on his joints contributed to injuries. He may have elaborated more , but I can't remember.

    A few years ago, a Reds trainer (or ex-trainer) came out and said one of the Reds players was using roids during that time. I always assumed it was Jones and/or Dibble.
    I've heard and read rumors about Householder several times. I suspected he was the one getting referenced in that article you mentioned...but maybe my timeline is off.

  5. #49
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't even remember the frostbite incident.
    I just remember later in his career, Jones said all his bulking up hurt him. He said all that extra weight on his joints contributed to injuries. He may have elaborated more , but I can't remember.

    A few years ago, a Reds trainer (or ex-trainer) came out and said one of the Reds players was using roids during that time. I always assumed it was Jones and/or Dibble.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65849
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  6. #50
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,727

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I've heard and read rumors about Householder several times. I suspected he was the one getting referenced in that article you mentioned...but maybe my timeline is off.
    You could be right.. I guess Householder was so bad, I kind of forgot about him when going through the rosters in my mind when that comment was made

    Jones was totally ripped though one year. I had some HS classmates that took roids over the summer and they were hardly recognizable when they came back in the fall.. Tracy kind of reminded me of that transformation.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  7. #51
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    8,761

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Johnny Bench Night (I was there). Full game video. Love you tube

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbh7UpKvTyk

    Here's another full game I found just the other day. Reds vs Cubs from May 27, 1984. It's a Cubs broadcast with Harry Caray. A nice little scuffle breaks out in the 2nd inning over an umpires call.

    For you Bengals fans I found the full game of the Freezer Bowl on youtube also.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnps...e062sb&index=9
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  8. #52
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,611

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's another full game I found just the other day. Reds vs Cubs from May 27, 1984. It's a Cubs broadcast with Harry Caray. A nice little scuffle breaks out in the 2nd inning over an umpires call.

    For you Bengals fans I found the full game of the Freezer Bowl on youtube also.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnps...e062sb&index=9
    Coldest I've ever been in my life... moved west 4 months later

  9. #53
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,694

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's another full game I found just the other day. Reds vs Cubs from May 27, 1984. It's a Cubs broadcast with Harry Caray. A nice little scuffle breaks out in the 2nd inning over an umpires call.

    For you Bengals fans I found the full game of the Freezer Bowl on youtube also.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnps...e062sb&index=9
    I remember like yesterday watching this game at a neighbors house. Watching this was a nice way to spend a slow Friday afternoon.

    1) The opening credits with the Van Halen "Jump" theme brought back memories.

    2) Anyone who thinks umpiring today is worse now than it has ever been needs to watch this video. The HP ump got it right by reversing the call but taking a half hour to listen to the Cubs gripe was insane. The whole dispute should have lasted no more than five minutes. The fact the umpiring crew let the dispute go on so long only fueled tempers and made things worse.

    3)Zimmer, Frey and Bowa all should have been tossed during the scuffle. Steve Ripley should have had the stones to toss Soto when he bumped him.

    4) It was nice hearing Harry Carey do a game again but as long as he has been around baseball he should have know you cannot protest a judgement call.

    5) Did Carey really think Zimmer was trying to stop Soto from hurting the umpires? Harry had to be drunk. Zimmer wanted a piece of Soto IMO.

    6) Both the Cubs and Reds filed protests. I can see how the Cubs would file one to satisfy their fans when they know there is no way they will win, but what could the Reds have been protesting? Was Vern Rapp that clueless?

    7) Bob Engle who was the crew chief and the one I point the finger at for causing this debacle was eventually fired for stealing baseball cards from a Target. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-...baseball-cards

    8) Had Reds Zone been around in 84' the game thread would have went into the thousands.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  10. #54
    Member crazybob60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    968

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I remember like yesterday watching this game at a neighbors house. Watching this was a nice way to spend a slow Friday afternoon.

    1) The opening credits with the Van Halen "Jump" theme brought back memories.

    2) Anyone who thinks umpiring today is worse now than it has ever been needs to watch this video. The HP ump got it right by reversing the call but taking a half hour to listen to the Cubs gripe was insane. The whole dispute should have lasted no more than five minutes. The fact the umpiring crew let the dispute go on so long only fueled tempers and made things worse.

    3)Zimmer, Frey and Bowa all should have been tossed during the scuffle. Steve Ripley should have had the stones to toss Soto when he bumped him.

    4) It was nice hearing Harry Carey do a game again but as long as he has been around baseball he should have know you cannot protest a judgement call.

    5) Did Carey really think Zimmer was trying to stop Soto from hurting the umpires? Harry had to be drunk. Zimmer wanted a piece of Soto IMO.

    6) Both the Cubs and Reds filed protests. I can see how the Cubs would file one to satisfy their fans when they know there is no way they will win, but what could the Reds have been protesting? Was Vern Rapp that clueless?

    7) Bob Engle who was the crew chief and the one I point the finger at for causing this debacle was eventually fired for stealing baseball cards from a Target. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-...baseball-cards

    8) Had Reds Zone been around in 84' the game thread would have went into the thousands.
    If Brad Gulden would not have tackled Soto right before he got to the umps and Frey, there is no telling what would have happened then.

  11. #55
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,515

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    If Brad Gulden would not have tackled Soto right before he got to the umps and Frey, there is no telling what would have happened then.
    No kidding, it's not a bad thing, but Soto was a maniac.

  12. #56
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,691

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's another full game I found just the other day. Reds vs Cubs from May 27, 1984. It's a Cubs broadcast with Harry Caray. A nice little scuffle breaks out in the 2nd inning over an umpires call.

    For you Bengals fans I found the full game of the Freezer Bowl on youtube also.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnps...e062sb&index=9
    It's driving me nuts, who's doing the voice-over work for the advertisers during the "jump" intro? I'm certain I KNOW that voice. Wait....is that Milo Hamilton?
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  13. #57
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Was Vern Rapp that clueless?
    I can attest that Vern Rapp was in fact that clueless.

  14. #58
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    8,761

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    It's driving me nuts, who's doing the voice-over work for the advertisers during the "jump" intro? I'm certain I KNOW that voice. Wait....is that Milo Hamilton?
    I think it is Hamilton. He did Cubs games for a couple of years. But he and Harry couldn't stand each other and he finally left or got fired.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  15. #59
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,611
    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think it is Hamilton. He did Cubs games for a couple of years. But he and Harry couldn't stand each other and he finally left or got fired.
    Yep, Harry came in from the White Sox and drown Milo with his personality

    Thank gawd

    Part of the superstation appeal from the 80s was the announcer

    Harry, Skip, Kiner

    Good times when baseball was less available

  16. #60
    Plays The Right Way Hap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    796.357
    Posts
    1,706

    Re: Pete just said he thinks Tracy Jones juiced

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Pete has been known to be untruthful in the past so his credibility isn't real strong.
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8831746

    Pete states in the interview that he doesn't gamble illegally anymore.

    Of course, he doesn't gamble illegally. He lives in Las Vegas. All his gambling is perfectly legal.

    At another point, it almost seems, in my opinion, that Pete almost begins to say that he never gambled as a player, but he stops himself from saying it and merely states that gambling didn't affect his 4256 hits.
    .


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25