Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Caravan 2013 - Charleston, wv

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Reds Caravan 2013 - Charleston, wv

At the Town Center Mall in Charleston, WV waiting for the Reds Caravan to begin at 6:30 pm. People are already starting to line up. This should be a good one! I will try to post updates as the evening goes along.

Cannot wait for Reds baseball to start!
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Caravan 2013 - Charleston, wv

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000 View Post
    At the Town Center Mall in Charleston, WV waiting for the Reds Caravan to begin at 6:30 pm. People are already starting to line up. This should be a good one! I will try to post updates as the evening goes along.

Cannot wait for Reds baseball to start!
    That sounds awesome! Have fun!
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Per the Reds Caravan site, here is who is scheduled to appear in Charleston, WV.:

The Southern Tour stops in West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky and features broadcaster Jim Kelch, broadcaster and former pitcher Jeff Brantley, infielder Todd Frazier, pitcher Logan Ondrusek(Thurs. and Fri. only), 2012 minor league Player of the Year Billy Hamilton, VP of Baseball Operations Dick Williams and mascot Rosie Red.
    Sparky Anderson

Post pictures if possible.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Not the best pictures in the world, but here you go:
    Sparky Anderson

Thought about going....kinda kickin myself for not, Worked until 5 and barboursville to charleston kinda sucks to drive during rush hour....

part of BBN

I think this is the group coming to Bowling Green which is an hour from me. Not sure if I will be able to make it though. Thanks for the pics !

A great turnout for the Reds Caravan in Charleston WV!

The following is my best account from memory so I will not be offended if someone who was there corrects me!

Jim Kelch started the evening by introducing all the Reds Caravan members. A Q & A session then took place with questions previously prepared by the attending fans.

Q to Jeff Brantley: Where did the name "Cowboy" come from?
    A from Jeff: Lenny Harris, a former Reds teammate. He saw me wearing cowboy boots and knew I was from Mississippi. He assumed I was a cowboy who had goats and horses and lived on a farm. I have only ridden a horse about three times in my life!

Question to Logan Ondrusek: What caused you to turn the corner to be able to be successful in the big leagues?
    A from Logan: I was struggling in the minors trying to find a pitch that would take me to the next level. I worked with Tom Browning for about three years and developed a cutter. The success of that pitch has taken me to the next level and the rest is history so far.

Q for Billy Hamilton: How has switch from the infield to the outfield been for you?
    A from Billy: It has been a bit of a struggle but I have been working really hard for about a month and half and I am excited to do whatever it takes to help the ballclub.

Q for Todd Frazier: You finished third in Rookie of the Year voting, but finished FIRST in Rookie of the Year voting from the players themselves. Can you explain if this is more satisfying?
    A from Todd: It is satisfying when your peers gives you such an award. It makes me happy.

Q for Dick Williams VP of Operations: Two Questions: (1) Tell us your thoughts on your organization getting voted the best organization by Baseball America (I think) and (2) GABP getting the 2015 All-Star Game.
    A from Dick: It is very satisfying for being voted best organization in 2012. All of baseball has recognized we have a world class organization here and our hard work is finally paying off. It is very exciting to be hosting the 2015 All-Star Game. MLB has noticed how the organization has handled the Civil Rights game in the past years and sees that it is finally time to bring the All-Star Game back to Cincinnati.

Jim Kelch then posed a question to Jeff Brantley: What is the 2013 Reds rotation going to look like?
    A from Jeff: It all depends on the success of Aroldis Chapman moving to the rotation. Aroldis will have a learning curve to be converted to a starter and will have to build up the stamina to a starter role.

The autograph session then started. Some comments during the autograph session:

I told Todd Frazier I was at the game where he "blue-tooth" that home run! That was the same game that I witnessed nine homeruns (five from Colorado and four from Cincinnati).

My brother greeted Logan Ondrusek and asked him, "Do you think one day you will close"? He replied, "Maybe".

I talked with Billy Hamilton and assured him he will be every pitcher's nightmare! He answered, "That is what I am hoping to do".

I then met the Cowboy (for the third time). A fan in front of me gave Jeff pictures of his high school/college days. He was quite surprised and ask the gentleman what he wanted in return for them. The man replied, "your autograph is good enough"! What a true fan!

I did not talk to Jim Kelch or Dick Williams that much, just thanked them for their autograph.

After I collected all my autographs, I went to the second floor of the mall to attempt to get some good pictures. They did not turn out that well (see previous post).

All in all it was a good time and I am glad that I attended.

Now, bring on the season and bring another championship to Cincinnati!
    Sparky Anderson

Much obliged for the pics and the report, Shredda.

Turn Off Ads?